1145 users online (266 members and 879 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cruise ship bloody elevator death

Crazy story. Horrible way to die. Warning: pics and videos out there are gruesome. Can't believe couple recorded the scene on video. In summary: couple going to dinner walks up to elevator to see (and hear streaming of) blood pouring down front of elevator. Apparently, a ship employee was repairing something in shaft (from what I gather). Don't think cruiseline is saying what happened but worker died. It is assumed that elevator came down on him and.... A guy was on elevator and had to run off under stream of blood (that's what I gathered from interview with couple who recorded it). There is much debate on the couple who recorded the event (that they recorded it).
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ovie/78121900/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/31/us/car...levator-death/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ker-death.html
    Last edited by Lamima; 01-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.

I'm imagining The Shining and I'm afraid to click.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I'm imagining The Shining and I'm afraid to click.
    Yeah...it's pretty dang bad. I will add details in OP so that folks don't need to click on articles because there are pics and video in those articles.

You know those scenes in movies and tv where someone is stuck in an elevator and they pry the doors open and have to crawl out and the elevator is like halfway... omg those scenes, I can't even look.

I don't find it out of place for this couple to have captured what they could see on pics/video - it may help the investigation.

There are many incidents people want caught on video these days - they need to be caught on video.

Jmo.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    I don't find it out of place for this couple to have captured what they could see on pics/video - it may help the investigation.

There are many incidents people want caught on video these days - they need to be caught on video.

Jmo.
    Good point, given very active rumor mills on cruise ships. DH and I cruise frequently (embarking in 20 days for a winter getaway) and know from experience that the shipboard environment is like a small town where everyone knows everybody's business. When something happens on a cruise ship, it doesn't take long for people to start talking - and every passenger will have his/her own version of what happened. The photos/video provided by passengers may very well aid the investigation.

The elevator must have gone up and crushed him. Why didn't they have the thing shut down if someone was working on it? Good grief, how horrific. Many companies are skimping on staff making them overwhelmed and too busy to make safe decisions...

There is another story from NY of another crushing elevator death: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...363979221.html
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link. Thank you!

I seriously can't stop thinking about this. This is my nightmare. My heart goes out to everyone from the electrician who lost his life to the guy IN the elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_of_hope View Post
    The elevator must have gone up and crushed him. Why didn't they have the thing shut down if someone was working on it? Good grief, how horrific. Many companies are skimping on staff making them overwhelmed and too busy to make safe decisions...

There is another story from NY of another crushing elevator death: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...363979221.html
    UBM

The person that was killed is being referred to as an electrician. Anyone making repairs on an elevator needs to be an elevator mechanic - with a working knowledge of the electrical part of it's operation (mainly circuit boards these days), but there are many moving parts above, below and around an elevator.

If he was rushed/busy that day, and did not normally make elevator repairs - a sad and truly horrible combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    UBM

The person that was killed is being referred to as an electrician. Anyone making repairs on an elevator needs to be an elevator mechanic - with a working knowledge of the electrical part of it's operation (mainly circuit boards these days), but there are many moving parts above, below and around an elevator.

If he was rushed/busy that day, and did not normally make elevator repairs - a sad and truly horrible combination.
    Just speculation. Just trying to understand what may have happened. I have no inside info though and thanks for the knowledge. I guess knowing that, I would have hoped that he had had an elevator mechanic with him. So sad.
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link. Thank you!

As a kid, I accompanied my father on a number of elevator service calls - while he was a licensed electrician, he never called himself that. If you asked him what he did for a living - he would answer an 'elevator mechanic'. A license was required for the mechanical aspect.

Not professing to know the inner workings, but he could and did shut the elevator down from the top of the cab (from any floor) or main rooftop control room and no one could override him. He could then do what he needed to do, including 'walking' the cab up or down if between floors (if people were stuck in the cab and needed to be let out.

Suspect this poor fellow did not shut the elevator down giving him and only him control of the movement and was possibly not close enough to any switch to stop the cab once it began moving. The busier the elevator, the more that needs to be 'first things first'.

Jmo.

NC woman witnesses gruesome death on board Carnival Cruise ship http://wncn.com/2016/01/01/nc-woman-...l-cruise-ship/

How to choose an Elevator Maintenance Company

The level of service and support that you receive is usually more closely tied to the service philosophy of the individuals managing the local elevator service locations and to the tools and abilities of the local elevator mechanics.

http://www.elevatorone.ca/2012/04/17...nance-company/

No elevator 'guy' is referred to as an electrician - even if they are one. They identify first and foremost as mechanics. Feel bad for this deceased person if as an electrician, he was called upon to try and fix a problem where more than electrical knowledge was required. He may well have succeeded in finding an electrical problem, if it existed.

An electrician does not always have to shut down the electrical flow to what they are working on - an elevator mechanic does though - every time they want to stand on top of the cab.

Someone needs to make this right. Jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    NC woman witnesses gruesome death on board Carnival Cruise ship http://wncn.com/2016/01/01/nc-woman-...l-cruise-ship/
    See, this is what bothers me. While I am sure what they saw and heard was traumatic... the poor crew probably didn't even know the full extent of what was happening.

Then they get off the ship on Monday and immediately call Carnival to see what they can get out of this tragedy?

Do I think Carnival should pay for counseling? Yes. Maybe even a small settlement. It just irks my soul that they had barely stepped off the ship and WANTED something for themselves. Not even caring about the poor man who lost his life. ME. ME. ME. Despicable.

I'll be cruising on Carnival on Saturday and I cannot wait. I love Carnival.
    Justice for Trayvon

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    See, this is what bothers me. While I am sure what they saw and heard was traumatic... the poor crew probably didn't even know the full extent of what was happening.

Then they get off the ship on Monday and immediately call Carnival to see what they can get out of this tragedy?

Do I think Carnival should pay for counseling? Yes. Maybe even a small settlement. It just irks my soul that they had barely stepped off the ship and WANTED something for themselves. Not even caring about the poor man who lost his life. ME. ME. ME. Despicable.

I'll be cruising on Carnival on Saturday and I cannot wait. I love Carnival.
    If you are a seasoned cruiser, you probably already know that it doesn't take much for people to complain or feel that they are entitled to compensation for something that doesn't go quite right during their voyage. DH and I have cruised about 30 times since the mid-1980s and have noticed an increasing number of passengers complaining about everything Some folks seem to have a sense of entitlement when cruising but are confusing today's mass markets with the long-past era when only the very wealthy and privileged were able to travel on luxury vessels. For that type of experience, passengers will have to pay twice or even three times as much as they do for a mass market cruise. When reading the fine print in the Passage Contract, it's obvious that the cruise line is not responsible for many, if not most, unfortunate happenings during the voyage. Ship happens

DH and I will embark two weeks from today on our annual winter getaway in the Caribbean. We'll avoid the chronic complainers and make the most of our time on the ship and in the ports we visit Bon Voyage!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast