Special needs screening of "Star Wars" movie

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Autistic kids enjoy dedicated ‘Star Wars’ screening

Christine MacDonald, The Detroit News 2:24 p.m. EST January 2, 2016

Watching a movie in a theater is designed to be a fun escape, but for many families with special needs children the experience can be the opposite.

That’s why Emagine Theaters in Novi and Centria Health Care have teamed up to set aside theaters on the first and third Saturdays of the month for the families of special needs children, particularly those with autism.

Talking during the show or getting up and walking around isn’t frowned upon. The theater’s sound is adjusted lower and the room isn’t as dark. About 70 families came Saturday morning to see “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...2/star-wars-special-needs-screening/78202612/

Oh wow, this is a great idea!

I kind of wish my family had had this grown up. My (late) sister used an oxygen concentrator that made a little "puff" noise whenever she breathed, and I used to check that she was okay verbally a few times during a movie (since I couldn't see if she was turning blue or anything) and we got a few complaints or dirty looks over the years. One time, she had a coughing fit and someone said to someone else in their party "People like that ruin the experience for everyone else. They shouldn't come [to movies]," within earshot. This seems like a place where we'd have been more welcomed. As someone on the autism spectrum, I would very much appreciate movies with lower volume. Movie theaters are always uncomfortably loud me.

I love this idea. As a fan, I am thrilled that this was arranged so that those with special needs could enjoy it as much as I did!

May the force be with them!

This is great! Thanks for posting :)

AMC Theatres have special movie showings once a month for kids on the spectrum and with special needs. We have taken my sons a few times. The theatre we go to has the showings at 10 am on Saturdays. The cinema make it so the sound isn't too loud, and the kids can get up and move around, etc. It's great.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back