NV - Police fatally shoot man holding cell phone

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
Las Vegas police say suspect killed as phone mistaken for gun

Keith Childress Jr., 23, died from multiple gunshot wounds and his death was ruled a homicide, the Clark County Coroner's Office said.

"At one point the officers told the suspect not to advance on the officers. However, the suspect did not listen, concealing his right arm, which the officers believed was holding a firearm," Captain Matt McCarthy of Las Vegas police told reporters.

The officers fired, shooting the man several times and killing him.

"During the course of the investigation, we have learned that the object was a cellphone," McCarthy said.

Suspect Shot by Vegas Police Had Convictions

Phoenix attorney who represented a man fatally shot by Las Vegas police after they mistook his cellphone for a gun says his client was wanted for missing his trial for multiple crimes, none of which was attempted murder.
Officers on Thursday were assisting U.S. marshals in arresting Childress, who they said was an attempted murder suspect.

Details about his convictions (burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, theft, aggravated assault) at the link.

Family of unarmed man killed by police speaks out

"Because the officers believed the suspect was wanted for attempted murder and this was a residential area and because they believe he was armed with a firearm, they discharged their firearm upon the subject striking him several times," Captain McCarty said.

Theresa Lengyel and her son heard the gunshots and saw the event unfold.

"He ran in the house hysterical like 'mom, mom, there's a guy out there with the cops saying freeze, freeze' and we're like what what's going on and we went outside to look, like we just saw the cops, and they say 'go back in the house.'"

It's those following minutes that family members would like to know more about. They wonder how the brother they knew as a friend and devoted father could end up dead.

"He wasn't this evil person that they portrayed him as," Mann said.

Childress_Keith_OIS_victim_1_1451689996696_6202132_ver1.0.jpg

http://static.lakana.com/nxsglobal/...OIS_victim_1_1451689996696_6202132_ver1.0.jpg

Have lost track of how many times now I have read 'he had a cellphone in his hand, we thought it was a gun, he kept his hand with the object concealed behind his back and advanced on the officers'.

Let’s see:

* Suspect was convicted of 3-5 violent felonies in Arizona
* Does not appear for sentencing
* Skips out on bail
* Flees the state of AZ
* Wanted for attempted murder
* Multiple warrants for his arrest (for the murder charges, as well as fleeing and avoiding sentencing)
* Pursued by federal marshals
* Located and tracked in Las Vegas with cooperation of local police
* Suspect is in a residential area with citizens including children
* Attempts made to take him into custody openly and peacefully, outdoors
* Suspect does not cooperate
* Will not show his hands despite multiple commands to do so
* Suspect reaches into pocket/ waistband while advancing on officers and continuing to be uncooperative
* Suspect is shot dead by law enforcement

This whole situation was entirely predictable. The suspect clearly caused his own death, IMO. It's a shame the officers had to shoot him, but completely understandable. If he had cooperated with his arrest, and shown his hands, he'd still be alive to face additional charges and sentencing for the violent felonies.

Too bad he was out on bail, which set in motion his fleeing the sentencing. Bail should have been revoked when he was convicted, before sentencing, IMO.

I don't weep for this violent criminal. He made his choices.

And I really can't even entertain the hypocrisy of his family's hollow "pleas for ju$tice". They are hoping for a windfall of ca$h in the new social "lottery", IMO.

Justice? This suspect did everything he could to break laws across several states, and AVOID facing justice for HIS violent criminal actions. How about justice for his VICTIMS? How about the family apologizing to law enforcement, the justice system, and the families of his victims for the crappy decisions and criminal behavior of your family member? How about expressing some regret for the REAL victims of this criminal?

<modsnip>

How come the family wasn't arrested for not turning him in in the first place.

In post #1, the linked article quotes LE as stating that KC was 'sought for attempted murder and other violent felonies' and in the same article, KC's lawyer says he has never been accused of attempted murder. So which is correct?

KC's other convictions are serious though and he did need to be apprehended to face sentencing.

Waiting to see if LE clarifies the discrepancy on attempted murder - LE should know definitively one way or the other. The reason I'm finding this noteworthy is, have noticed lately in many cases of LE shootings that incorrect info is often the first thing people read on the deceased - info fed to the media by LE. Not the fault of the media imo.

Fwiw, if LE back pedals or even ignores this discrepancy, will find it impossible to believe the 'hidden right hand with a cellphone and advanced on LE'. We also now have in the 'Let's see' list 'multiple warrants' which is different than article in post #3, and 'suspect reaches into his pocket/waistband while advancing on officers' ... which isn't stated anywhere.

If this is an acceptable event - why all the discrepancies?

Did he point the phone at officers? I have so many notes to self from reading these threads about LE.

Don't change shoes in car.
Don't turn a corner when LE are in the vicinity.
Don't hurry down steps with bat
and last but not least ...don't have cell phone in hand.

In spite of this guys record..(the courts should be dealing with that), you can't just shoot because you THINK a person may have a weapon. IMO

I'm always skeptical when they use the phrases "concealing the object" if it's something as innocent as a cell phone or pack of cigarettes. Knowing the stories in the news, I highly doubt ANY black man with a will to live will hide innocent objects anywhere on his person when LE is pointing guns at him. Are there independent witnesses corroborating that he refused to show his hands? I'll retract my statement if there are.

Oh but he was a criminal oh ok it's totes ok that he was shot while unarmed.

Let&#8217;s see:

* Skips out on bail
* Flees the state of AZ
* Multiple warrants for his arrest (for the murder charges, as well as fleeing and avoiding sentencing)
* Suspect reaches into pocket/ waistband while advancing on officers and continuing to be uncooperative

This whole situation was entirely predictable. The suspect clearly caused his own death, IMO. It's a shame the officers had to shoot him, but completely understandable. If he had cooperated with his arrest, and shown his hands, he'd still be alive to face additional charges and sentencing for the violent felonies.

Too bad he was out on bail, which set in motion his fleeing the sentencing. Bail should have been revoked when he was convicted, before sentencing, IMO.

And I really can't even entertain the hypocrisy of his family's hollow "pleas for ju$tice". They are hoping for a windfall of ca$h in the new social "lottery", IMO.

Justice? This suspect did everything he could to break laws across several states, and AVOID facing justice for HIS violent criminal actions. How about justice for his VICTIMS? How about the family apologizing to law enforcement, the justice system, and the families of his victims for the crappy decisions and criminal behavior of your family member? How about expressing some regret for the REAL victims of this criminal?

<modsnip>.

This isn't the Wild West where there's posters stating there's a reward for this man who is wanted dead or alive. It doesn't matter what his past convictions are, what matters is that police fired on a man who was no threat to them at that moment. JMO, of course.

<modsnip>

I'm always skeptical when they use the phrases "concealing the object" if it's something as innocent as a cell phone or pack of cigarettes. Knowing the stories in the news, I highly doubt ANY black man with a will to live will hide innocent objects anywhere on his person when LE is pointing guns at him. Are there independent witnesses corroborating that he refused to show his hands? I'll retract my statement if there are.

"Advanced on the officers" is another one.

Let’s see:

* Skips out on bail
* Flees the state of AZ

Is this a real thread for serious discussion? Or just another thread designed to be an echo chamber for bashing law enforcement, in my opinion.

Pretty obvious isn't it.

News flash....A lawyer doesn't need to know or even is likely to know of Attempted Murder charges, nor is it their business to know until the suspect arrest is made.

Woodland same basic process as in Canada.
In the actual real world, charges can stem from an investigation, be officially laid, warrants issued without anyone knowing other than those in the room or in some cases by a grand jury true bill.

Reports state that the police asked him to drop the gun......................
English translation /interpretation....we can't see your hands and believe you have a gun. Drop the gun and show your hands or you will be shot.
He was shot and a cell phone was in his hand meaning he didn't comply by emptying his hand or showing his hands as he approached police with their guns drawn.

It's also what leads to numerous of these threads getting shut down. :/

No it's the accusatory posts and then the refusing to respond or discuss ANY issue put to you.

ie, your "High Cap Mags", US Constitutional oath?

The usual crowd here post to spread discord, refuses to address rebutted issues, then runs to post another cop bashing post.

Oh and to edit and add another item you won't discuss.....what's your fix, solution, ideas, on the posts you make about guns, mags, etc.

Hard to discuss issues via posts on a forum when you won't play.

<modsnip>

Like I said earlier, we'll see if the attempted murder charge is real or not. It will be the tipping point in my view of this and any similar event.

<modsnip>

Wait a minute there. You convict the cops in your post for murder of an innocent man, BEFORE ANY INVESTIGATION IS COMPLETED then when rebutted try to use the old but the investigation is showing no witness evidence of him actually having empty hands.

So on one hand you condemn without evidence then use that same excuse to defend your rebuttal?

What a circular nonsensical reply.

<modsnip>

I can guarantee you I don't misconstrue but I am capable of misunderstanding. However I do challenge the BS of innuendo, mis direction, diversion, illogic, etc.

Not to mention the name calling is childish. Shame we can't discuss these issues like adults.
Maybe it's easier to think some post out of a certain belief than to actually admit we have a real problem in our society. IMO

I don't agree but let's start.......what is the problem in our society that you mention?

I don't agree but let's start.......what is the problem in our society that you mention?

We have many problems in our society but I'll start with the relations of LE with the citizens that they serve. The trust is gone. And in some cases I believe that excessive (lethal) force has been used when perhaps other methods would have had a more desired result.

IMO

Like I said earlier, we'll see if the attempted murder charge is real or not. It will be the tipping point in my view of this and any similar event.

<modsnip>

Allow me to tip you....The lawyer would not know of an attempted murder charge if they were attempting to apprehend a fleeing suspect. all the investigation warrants, and any grand jury would be complete and only THEY would know.

Lawyers wouldn't know anything until suspect was arrested. Make sense?

Tossing the 'anti-law enforcement' accusation at those with questions rather than acknowledging the actual question of 'was use of lethal force required' is usually the hang-up on threads of this subject.

It has no relevance and clouds the issue at hand imo.

In this particular case I think the question is going to be impossible to answer unless the officers were wearing bodycams or a dashcam managed to catch the confrontation. Afaik there were no witnesses and I haven't heard about any videos from citizens yet. The timing and location makes me doubt there will be any. Maybe someone will come forward though.

But even if there is hard evidence showing it was unjustified... will there be a trial? A lawsuit? Accountability? Who knows.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back