759 users online (124 members and 635 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OH - Aaron Berns, 27, Morrow, 1 Jan 2016

Aaron Berns was seen walking around the three-unit home where his brother lives on Miranda Street that caught fire on Friday night. Officials began questioning Berns but said he became "evasive" and eventually fled the scene. They said he was last seen jumping into the nearby Little Miami River, but the current carried him out of sight quickly.

The 27-year-old's family said Berns, a veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Berns' mother, Missy Hubbard, said her son was taken by law enforcement officers to a hospital earlier this week for a wellness evaluation after he set a mattress on fire outside. Hubbard said her son was recommended for a 72-hour hold at the hospital, but he returned home about 90 minutes later. "I truly believe, if my son was properly diagnosed and treated, there would be no fire and they would not be sending divers in the water again this morning," Hubbard said.

Search crews returned in the morning and are still looking for Berns, who they consider a "critical missing person" and a person of interest in the fire. Berns' family said they believed he was responsible for the fire. His brother, Jeremy Berns, said he had left Aaron alone there for about an hour.

"It had to have been him," Jeremy Berns said. "It couldn't have been anyone else."

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...arch-in-morrow

Search and rescue operations are ended for a military veteran who jumped into the Little Miami River while fleeing deputies investigating a fire, Warren County Sheriff’s Lt. John Faine stated in a release issued late this afternoon.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...ntinues/npwcY/

Research suggests that after 15 minutes of exposure to cold water, individuals may not be able to pull themselves out of the water without help.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...oing/78201310/

This is so sad.

So he was "recommended" for a 72 hour hold? Does anyone know if that was suppose to be voluntary or someone needed to sign off on it? A doctor or ? Why would he be out 90 minutes later?

What a difficult situation. The poor guy. My heart goes out to his family.

😢ugh this poor man.
    I'm guessing after accessing him, they came to the conclusion that he was not a harm to himself or others.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_x_to_the_m View Post
    ��ugh this poor man.
    I'm guessing after accessing him, they came to the conclusion that he was not a harm to himself or others.
    It seems they were dead wrong about that..

I wish there were a way for this to end well but I doubt it. If he is a veteran he may be stronger than LE anticipated, but even so, he seems to be in need of help - his family agrees. I don't think he's got much of a chance at this point. I hope so, but common sense tells me no.
    #JusticeForKinsley was taken too soon, but with her passing three little boys were given life through her lungs, liver, and heart! #WyattsPHight #XanderTheBrave #SuperCharlie

Remember Nic Kyllingstad. Once you've met someone, a small part of them lives on, never to be forgotten. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-November-2015

Live your dash.

Quote Originally Posted by terracotta View Post
    This is so sad.

So he was "recommended" for a 72 hour hold? Does anyone know if that was suppose to be voluntary or someone needed to sign off on it? A doctor or ? Why would he be out 90 minutes later?

What a difficult situation. The poor guy. My heart goes out to his family.
    I think after a certain amount of time you can sign yourself out AMA. I'm guessing that's what happened here.

"Although the search and operation phase of the investigation is completed, Mr. Berns is still entered as a critical missing person," Faine wrote in a press release Sunday.

"It definitely did take a toll," Jeremy said after hearing the search was called off, but explained his family plans to canvas the area with flyers and to continue searching the river themselves.

"My dad just bought a kayak," he said. "I'm not a pro like the rescue teams, but I might get lucky and see something they missed."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...oing/78201310/

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I think after a certain amount of time you can sign yourself out AMA. I'm guessing that's what happened here.
    It just seems odd that he was back out within an hour and half How could he even be assessed properly in that amount of time.

We see these cases all the time, but most aren't even taken to a hospital to be evaluated. He was fortunate enough to have been...then just gets back out? It is so sad.

It just seems odd that he was back out within an hour and half How could he even be assessed properly in that amount of time.

We see these cases all the time, but most aren't even taken to a hospital to be evaluated. He was fortunate enough to have been...then just gets back out? It is so sad.
    At times it's as simple as them asking the person "do you feel like you are going to hurt yourself?" I know it's almost oxymoron at times. I know I have been with others when they are asked this and of course 9 out of 10 the person says no😞

Signing yourself out means they didn't have time to evaluate you and you don't care what they have to say. I don't know all the details of how it's done, only that at a lot of hospitals if you get a 72-hour hold after an hour you can walk away against medical advice.

And like ms_x said if you can convince them you're not going to kill yourself they'll let you go.

Thank you, yes that makes sense for how he got out. I guess there is no clear solution without denying someone their rights.

Mother of "critically missing veteran" believes he's alive

“He was such a strong individual that we don't put it past him that he's 50 miles, a hundred miles away from here,” Conni Berns.

"I know Aaron very well and I know how he thinks and he's the type of kid that as a child when he was nine, 10, 11 years old he would run off all the time,” said Conni Berns.

Conni says she just wants her son to know that his family wants to help.

"I would tell him we would really like to know that he's safe. And that we would like to help him and even though he did something that very dangerous, nobody was hurt,”
    I hope she's right. Maybe he checked himself out of the hospital because he wanted to get away and that's what he's done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast