Austria - Aeryn Gillern, 34, American working in Vienna, 29 October 2007

dotr

Reaction score
http://cnycentral.com/news/local/a-mothers-nightmare-son-missing-in-austria?id=195253
285b5dc1-4110-46fe-9e81-05b2ec4377cc-AerynGillern.jpg
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:21:36 GMT — Everything was in its place at Aeryn Gillern's apartment. His clothes were still in the washing machine where he'd tucked them before running off to work. Rice Krispie treats he'd baked for co-workers still sat on the counter, forgotten in the morning's haste.

But entering her son's Vienna apartment was the start of a nightmare that has devoured Kathy Gilleran's life: Thirty-four-year-old Aeryn Gillern vanished Oct. 29 ago while working as a research clerk in Austria for the United Nation's Industrial Development Organization.

"A part of me wanted to believe that he was going to meet me at the airport or he was just going to surprise me when I showed up at his apartment," said Gilleran, a 56-year-old retired Ithaca, N.Y. police officer. "The other part of me knew going into that room I was entering the worst part of my life."

Kathy Gilleran doesn't know what happened to her son - who was openly gay; a first runner-up in the 2006 Mr. Gay Universe competition

http://www.thelocal.at/20150507/divers-search-danube-for-missing-american
f3585c88347e615fb88084d8d1e6a3e5e274080fc0434f8c11ad861705897922.jpg
Aeryn Gillern. Photo: Family
May 7 2015
A cold case police squad has spent three days searching Vienna’s Danube Canal for the remains of American Aeryn Gillern, who went missing in mysterious circumstances in October 2007.

He was 34 years old at the time and had been working for UNIDO in Vienna. Two eyewitness reported seeing him running naked from a gay sauna - the Kaiserbrundl - after reportedly being assaulted, although his last confirmed location was a sauna on Stephansplatz after work.

At the time police said that he was HIV positive and suicidal and that he jumped into the Danube and drowned - something his mother has said she finds hard to believe as he was very happy and had recently had an HIV test which showed he was negative.

Co-workers in Vienna described Gillern as a hardworking team player, gentle, charming, fitness-conscious and a person who loved to bake. Friends remembered a person with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. He graduated from Franciscan University in 1997 with a degree in theology and added a master's in 1999, his mother said. He also earned graduate degrees in philosophy and theology at Webster University while living in Vienna for the past six years.

Despite his homosexuality, Gilleran said her son was a dutiful Catholic, who carried a rosary on his belt and a small, well-used prayer book - held together by a rubber band - in his back pocket. Aeryn studied for 18 months at a seminary in Graz and helped serve Mass at three Catholic churches in Vienna.
http://cnycentral.com/news/local/a-mothers-nightmare-son-missing-in-austria?id=195253
He sounds like a great young man. What a sad story.

Looks like his Mom has always helped other people, hope she gets the help needed to find her dear son soon, imo.

http://gone-film.com/wp-content/uploads/gone-08-kathy-as-cop-1.jpg
gone-08-kathy-as-cop-1.jpg
Kathy Gilleran
Aeryn was raised in Groton, New York, and graduated from Groton High School in 1991, where he was a member of the chorus and the Varsity boys track team. From a young age, Aeryn was very deeply involved in the Roman Catholic Church, serving as an altar boy and later as an acolyte. An exuberant student, Aeryn earned a Bachelor of Arts in Theology from Franciscan University, as well as two masters degrees: Theology & Christian Ministry from Franciscan University and International Relations from Webster University in Vienna. Aeryn was also an accomplished athlete and model for advertising campaigns, including Vienna’s popular charity event, The Life Ball. In 2005 and 2006, Aeryn was nominated Mr. Gay Austria, and was the first runner up in the international Mr. Gay 2006 competition. Beginning in 2003, Aeryn was employed as an economic research clerk for the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in Vienna, Austria, and was elected to UNIDO’s Staff Council in 2007. He was an employee of UNIDO when he disappeared in October 2007.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-ralls/gone-aeryn-gillern_b_1016835.html
Inside the Mystery of a Son ‘Gone’ But Not Forgotten

Updated Feb 02, 2016
According to one eyewitness, immediately after the incident in the sauna, Aeryn ran, naked, through the streets of Vienna. One look at Aeryn’s photo — he was a muscular, fit man who held the title of Mr. Gay Austria — seems to confirm that it probably wasn’t a run-of-the-mill physical altercation inside the Kaiserbrundl that sent him fleeing. The same witness recalled that Aeryn’s eyes revealed something chillingly frightening.

Whatever happened on the marble floors of the Kaiserbrundl was so shocking, and so completely unforgettable, that it continues to haunt the sauna’s owner and sends him spiraling into despair.

It is those missing minutes of Aeryn’s story — still locked deep inside the eerie, cavernous rooms of the Kaiserbrundl — that provide a glimpse into what might have happened and that, in true Lynchian style, provide the unanswered questions that make Gone a film that lingers long after the closing credits roll.

Contrary to what those who are covering up, and collapsing under, the truth are saying, it does matter what happened to Aeryn. And despite the best efforts of those complicit in that cover-up, Kathy Gilleran has ensured that, even though he is gone, her son will not be forgotten.

http://www.ithaca.com/news/gone-doc...cle_11071056-f65d-11e0-b753-001cc4c03286.html
attachment.php

[h=3]Kathy Gilleran and Aeryn Gillern[/h]

Attachments

• 4e982557dff49.image.jpg
    4e982557dff49.image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 38
https://mysocalledgaylife.co.uk/2017/10/10-years-since-aeryn-m-j-gillern-went-missing-in-vienna/
2017 rbbm.
"In the documentary Gone, Kathryn tells about when she was invited in to Kaiserburndl sauna and got a guided tour :

As her “tour” winds its way through the labyrinth of lounges, bars and baths inside the sauna, the Kaiserbrundl’s manager suddenly drops, crying and running his hands over the marble floor. When Kathy asks her translator what has happened to upset the owner, she replies that this is the last place he ever saw Aeryn.

“What happened?” Kathy asks as he continues to cry and rub the floor.

“He doesn’t want to talk about it,” comes the reply. “What happened to your son here doesn’t matter. Your son is gone.”

The answer – “what happened to your son doesn’t matter” – echoes throughout the rest of the film.''

''You are also helping by spreading this story in social media – all over the world – since it might be a tourist visiting Vienna in 2007 that holds the key for a breakthrough – that hasn’t heard about Aeryn disappearance or to remind the person(s) that knows what happen on October 29th, 2007 in Vienna, Austria, where ever they are in the world – the story about Aeryn M. J. Gillern disappearance is not going away anytime soon.)''

1658756577026.png
Lengthy article..

https://kurier-at.translate.goog/ch...it known who is said to have been involved.''

''Jürgen Holzer knew Aeryn Gillern. “I saw him countless times, he was a loyal guest. However, he was only ever in the sauna, he loved doing infusions. And what is also remarkable: I never saw him naked, he always had his towel on." According to Holzer, Aeryn Gillern was one of the few guests who didn't come to use the playing field. "He was one of the friendliest men, very outspoken, extremely polite, always well dressed. You could also see that he does a lot for his body”. However, Holzer recalls another dispute in which Aeryn Gillern was involved. “That was a few months before he disappeared. I can't remember the exact name of the other sauna guest, but I think his name was Roland and he did something with props for a living."
The two got into a kind of scuffle in the shower, Roland fell and then insisted that the rescue come. Holzer found that totally exaggerated. "He then lay down like a dying swan, all he did was bleed a little." Anyway, the two avoided each other from then on and always wanted to be warned when the other one was around. Holzer says that in the Kaiserbründl it happened from time to time that some felt pressured and then resisted being physically touched. That is in the nature of a sex sauna. ''

''To this day there are many questions and few answers. As long as you don't find a body, it will stay that way. What remains is a desperate mother on the other side of the world who wants to know what happened to her child.

Please send information to the Federal Criminal Police Office or to Dunkelspuren@kurier.at''

Last edited:
I just watched "Gone" on youtube. My heart goes out to poor Kathy. Wow. Austria sucks. Be careful not to go missing there because the cops do not give a *advertiser censored*. I wish I could give her some comfort. That pain and loss must be unimaginable.

GILLERN, AERYN MICHAEL JOHN​

Notice Logo

GILLERN, AERYN MICHAEL JOHN

GILLERN, AERYN MICHAEL JOHN

Identity particulars​

Family nameGILLERN
ForenameAERYN MICHAEL JOHN
GenderMale
Date of birth28/04/1973 (50 years old)
Place of birthNew York, United States
NationalityUnited States
Place of disappearanceVienna
Date of disappearance29/10/2007 (When 34 years old)

Physical description​

Height1.85 metres
Weight95 kilograms
Colour of hairBald
Colour of eyesGreen

Details​

Language(s) spokenGerman, English
The Notices data on this website is updated every hour.
This extract of the Notice has been approved for public dissemination

If you have any information please contact​

Your national or local police
INTERPOL General Secretariat

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members