958 users online (190 members and 768 guests)  

Websleuths News

Straw Houses

"When it comes to the winter time I hardly have to turn on my heater, that saves a lot of gas." Rosy Estrada lives in a straw house.

It's hard to believe but that's what this home's insulation is made of.

"Today you would see lumber construction that's pretty common, we eliminate 40% of lumber the exterior wall is straw this gives us high insulation value," said Lothar Fastge, Housing Coordinator for Tierra Madre a program that helps low-income families build affordable homes.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/5018838/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

It may be warm,........... but I read the Three Little Pigs!

Hope they are not in a Tornado or Hurricane region or even a strong storm......

This is a great idea. We industrialized nations CAN learn something from the Third World. I've lived (short term) in a few mud houses (mixed with straw) in Syria and Iraq and they are so much nicer in the summertime than any brick, cement, or steel buildings -- without A/C. I haven't wintered in them yet but I understand that the insulation keeps them comfortably warm with just a little fire or heat on.
    Last edited by Cypros; 09-26-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros
    This is a great idea. We industrialized nations CAN learn something from the Third World. I've lived (short term) in a few mud houses (mixed with straw) in Syria and Iraq and they are so much nicer in the summertime than any brick, cement, or stell buildings -- without A/C. I haven't wintered in them yet but I understand that the insulation keeps them comfortably warm with just a little fire or heat on.

I think I'm gonna have to take a pass on that one!!