1343 users online (301 members and 1042 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CO - Dog killing case gains worldwide attention

John Russell Howald, 30, of Butte, who is charged with killing and beheading a dog Sept. 3 near Bernice, entered not guilty pleas to all seven charges against him in his initial court appearance in Boulder, Wednesday.
    The grisly nature of the alleged crimes has attracted international attention, resulting in a flurry of about 100 faxes and e-mails to the county attorney's office from around the country and the world.

District Court Judge Loren Tucker noted the "bizarre" and "violent" aspects of the crime, but reduced Howald's bail from $100,000 to $35,000.

Howald and three other men were at a campsite near Bernice when two dogs showed up, according to one of Howald's companions quoted in court documents.

When the dogs would not leave the site, Howald allegedly shot at them, wounding a chocolate Lab.

He allegedly pursued the wounded Lab around the side of a trailer and then into the trees and shot at it a number of times, then came back to the campsite and got a chainsaw and severed the dog's head.

Howald then allegedly drove to a campsite occupied by Mike and Brenda Sullivan of Butte and threw the severed head of their dog at them, saying "Here is your f------ dog back," according to the documents.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/200...jahhjjiefd.txt

Such violence, and this guy bonded out? Only a dog? God help us. What if he became angry with another human? I await further verification that this jerk was an "exemplary" person. So far, it sure doesn't sound like it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    John Russell Howald, 30, of Butte, who is charged with killing and beheading a dog Sept. 3 near Bernice, entered not guilty pleas to all seven charges against him in his initial court appearance in Boulder, Wednesday.
    The grisly nature of the alleged crimes has attracted international attention, resulting in a flurry of about 100 faxes and e-mails to the county attorney's office from around the country and the world.

District Court Judge Loren Tucker noted the "bizarre" and "violent" aspects of the crime, but reduced Howald's bail from $100,000 to $35,000.

Howald and three other men were at a campsite near Bernice when two dogs showed up, according to one of Howald's companions quoted in court documents.

When the dogs would not leave the site, Howald allegedly shot at them, wounding a chocolate Lab.

He allegedly pursued the wounded Lab around the side of a trailer and then into the trees and shot at it a number of times, then came back to the campsite and got a chainsaw and severed the dog's head.

Howald then allegedly drove to a campsite occupied by Mike and Brenda Sullivan of Butte and threw the severed head of their dog at them, saying "Here is your f------ dog back," according to the documents.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/200...jahhjjiefd.txt
    I would love to be the jury foreman on this case. This guy wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell. He needs to do time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    I would love to be the jury foreman on this case. This guy wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell. He needs to do time.
    I agree and lots of it!