GUILTY FL - James Dearman, 6, suffocated, father & gf played video games, Englewood, 24 Dec 2015 Arrest

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
A woman was charged Tuesday with helping her boyfriend smother his 6-year-old son and causing him to suffocate while the pair played video games on Christmas Eve.

Ashley Cole, 22, of Englewood, Florida, trapped the boy's feet behind her back while her 270-pound boyfriend pinned him down, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office.

Cole is accused on a charge of principal to aggravated manslaughter of a child. Her boyfriend and the boy's 31-year-old father, James "Rick" Dearman, was charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child last week.

Dearman's son, James "Jimmy" Dearman, died at the couple's home in Englewood, around 70 miles south of Tampa.

The boy and his 7-year-old sister had been told to face the wall as a punishment for not going to bed, police said. After this "nose-to-wall" punishment did not work, Cole asked her boyfriend if they could "elevate the punishment ... to squishing," she told officers according to an affidavit.

1382317_1158017530876804_5171710930431663791_n_8e5196175857957d1bcece4d7154b396.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg

Ashley Cole, 22, of Englewood, Florida

160101-usnews-florida-dad-suffocated-son-dearman-5a_47565781cd154e44b144d8fb8dedf0f2.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg

James Dearman, 31, of Englewood, Florida

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ll-boy-while-playing-video-games-cops-n491106

Monsters indeed. This is my proverbial straw. I'm putting myself on Websleuth timeout.

I had to take a long break after Omaree Varelo's murder even though I felt guilty because (I feel) its so important to witness for these children. I don't talk much here on the forums but I read, and work things into RL conversations when appropriate. Raising awareness is important to me.

This death will probably not get much media attention (few do) which makes it all the more sad.

What the heck?? Did they mean to kill him, or are they just so stupid they didn't realise what would happen??

Monsters indeed. This is my proverbial straw. I'm putting myself on Websleuth timeout.

I had to take a long break after Omaree Varelo's murder even though I felt guilty because (I feel) its so important to witness for these children. I don't talk much here on the forums but I read, and work things into RL conversations when appropriate. Raising awareness is important to me.

This death will probably not get much media attention (few do) which makes it all the more sad.

Thanks for witnessing... It's silly but I feel bad for the kids whose threads get hardly any comments. I feel like no one cared about them in life and nobody cares about their death :( no one fights for justice for them, they're just forgotten. Some of the kids you can't even find a picture of - probably their "parents" didn't bother to take any :(

The 31-year-old Dearman got up and forced both kids to stand facing the wall, then went back to playing video games with Cole in his Englewood home.

When he saw the 6 year old watching the couple play, Dearman forced the boy to lie on his side on the couch with his face against the rear couch cushions, authorities said.

The 270-pound man then sat on top of his son and returned to his game, while the boy screamed that he could not breathe.

Five minutes later, the boy was motionless and Dearman and Cole went into the garage to smoke a cigarette, cops said.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/crime/florida-man-kills-6-year-old-son-crushing-sofa-article-1.2482822

Ten minutes later, the pair returned from the garage and saw the boy lying on the couch. Cole saw that the boy’s lips were blue and he was not breathing. Cole ran into the garage to pray, according to an arrest affidavit.
Dearman called 911 and attempted to perform CPR until paramedics came.

http://wfla.com/2015/12/31/deputies...ayed-video-game-smothered-son-6-at-same-time/

That sounds really dodgy - ran into the garage to "pray"? I hope LE search the garage really thoroughly, she may have been hiding something in there.

Thanks for witnessing... It's silly but I feel bad for the kids whose threads get hardly any comments. I feel like no one cared about them in life and nobody cares about their death :( no one fights for justice for them, they're just forgotten. Some of the kids you can't even find a picture of - probably their "parents" didn't bother to take any :(

I feel the same way. I came here to see if there was a thread for a 4 year old in my city who was found dead and wrapped in plastic but didn't see one. Not sure how to properly start one and I'm not sure anyone would comment anyway. :( Too many children dying because of moron caregivers.

I have a hard enough time just reading these threads. After finishing it take me quite a while before I can string together a thought that doesn't consist entirely of four letter words, I'll bet most people are that way. It's bad enough hearing about all the other crud that happens in this world. It hurts my heart to hear about what some folks do to innocent children. Some people just can't take the pain that comes from reading about it. Those who do read or not do care. Sometimes it's just hard to talk about it, without earning a PTO. Permanent Time Out

I feel the same way. I came here to see if there was a thread for a 4 year old in my city who was found dead and wrapped in plastic but didn't see one. Not sure how to properly start one and I'm not sure anyone would comment anyway. :( Too many children dying because of moron caregivers.

I hope you can post this child's story Amy. I am like a lot of others here and can't usually string 2 words together to be able to comment after reading some of these threads but I do care. Each child's story that is shared here receives some love and some caring for once. I am just sad that it is usually to late for them to know.

Hello! Guys after reading this story I have no words. I don't know how this can do a human but honestly, I am sure they are can not be human, and I hope they will receive what they deserve. <modsnip> I wish you a great day and remember that we must remain human firstly.

bbm
I so agree -- Apparently, it was 7:30pm on Christmas Eve -- Christmas Eve -- if ever there is a time when 6- and 7-year-olds get maybe a bit over-excited, it would be on Christmas Eve. And it was 7:30 -- not 10:30, etc. Those of us who believed in Santa Claus -- I certainly did, and I remember it being such a special loving time in my family and how fortunate I was -- were all a bit over-excited on 7:30 on Christmas Eve -- we were old enough to understand what Santa did on that special night, and we were young enough to believe every bit of it.
And at least that darling little boy -- may he fly high with the angels -- has an eye witness. And how that boy's remembrance of that Christmas will cloud this fun and sacred special time for the rest of his life -- can you imagine?? And his buddy and playmate.

On a much lighter note,

Welcome to Websleuths,
MichaelMurr !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Following a deal made last month after James “Rick” Dearman, 31, pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter of a child under the age of 18, this was the maximum sentence the court could give. Judge Thomas Krug also ordered 10 years’ probation and the completion of an anger management course.

Englewood man gets 20 years for 'squishing' 6-year-old son

OMG. I don’t remember hearing about this case, unfortunately. I live 45 minutes away too. I’ll have to get up to speed.

ASHLEY COLE Inmate 201600000132: Sarasota County Jail near Sarasota, FL

Criminal Charge(s)
  • Charge Description: HOMICIDE-NEGLIG MANSL: AGGRAVATED OF CHILD(ENHANCED)
  • Incident Number: 201500089102
  • Docket Number: 2016 CF 000225 NC
  • Hold For:
  • Release Date:
  • Arraign Date: 02/05/2016
  • Bond Agency:
  • Bond Amount: $100,000.00

WTH?? They hurt him at 7:30 but didn't call for help until 10pm???

At about 10:10 p.m. Christmas Eve, deputies saw paramedics performing CPR on the boy at Dearman's Englewood home, according to the arrest report. A deputy observed bruising on the boy's back, and he was later pronounced dead at Englewood Hospital.

Deputies interviewed Dearman's live-in girlfriend, Cole, who said she was playing video games with Dearman at 7:30 p.m. when he told the boy and his 7-year-old sibling to go to bed, which is on the floor with blankets in a bedroom. The two children would not go to sleep and kept running around the room, she said.

Read more here: https://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article53086285.html#storylink=cpy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back