Status
Not open for further replies.

KateB

Reaction score
Police release video in Lonzie case, claim Ruben Ebron murdered little boy
Police cancel Amber Alert, work case as murder
Aug 03 2015

attachment.php

Police announced late Monday the Amber Alert for 21-month-old Lonzie Barton is canceled and they are 100 percent sure the toddler who disappeared 10 days ago disappeared at the hands of the mother's boyfriend.

"I'm cancelling the Amber Alert and not working this as an abduction anymore," Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Chief of Investigations Tom Hackney said. "We are working this as a murder case. You need to know that. Ruben Ebron needs to know that."

This comes after the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office obtained surveillance video that it said shows Ebron abandoning the car he claimed was stolen with Lonzie Barton inside and running away minutes before he called 911 to report it stolen and the toddler taken.

JSO: Story 'crumbling' for Lonzie Barton murder suspect
August 4, 2015

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Twenty-one-month-old Lonzie Barton was murdered and not abducted like originally reported by 32-year-old Ruben Ebron, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Large-scale search efforts by authorities to find Lonzie wound down after Sunday, Aug. 2, ten days after he was originally reported missing by Ebron. On Monday, the toddler was added to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's list of unsolved Amber Alerts alongside 5-year-old Haleigh Cummings.

JSO Chief of Investigations Tom Hackney, in a media briefing on Aug. 3, implored the family and friends of Ebron to get him to tell the police what he knows. Hackney even asked Ebron himself to come forward with the location of Lonzie's body.

Order of Arrest and Commitment

Child Neglect Charges Arrest Report

Lonna Barton Arrest Report

Ebron jail calls to JR

*Media, Maps & Timeline* *No Discussion*

Lonzie Barton Case Map

Rules Etiquette & Information

Thread #1 Thread #2
Thread #3 Thread #4
Thread #5 Thread #6
Thread #7 Thread #8

REMINDERS:

NO name calling. Refer to case players by name or by initials.

Leave Facebook on Facebook. Do not carry rumors to this discussion.

Social Media Thread

Attachments

• lonzie.jpg
    lonzie.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,879
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A closed hearing on Thursday will decide whether a child witness believed to be Lonzie Barton's sister is competent to take the stand in the trial against Ruben Ebron, law enforcement's chief suspect in the toddler's disappearance.

[...]

Judge Borello granted defense motions to prevent prosecutors from referring to Ebron's residence, Ravenswood Apartments, as a "high crime area" and to "hold" statements he made to the Florida Department of Children and Families, allegedly telling investigators he could understand why someone would drive in to water with kids in the car.

The judge denied a defense motion to exclude DNA evidence, including Lonzie's blood, found on items at Ebron's apartment following the toddler's disappearance in July.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...ebron-in-court-for-pretrial-hearing/78362466/

The mother of a missing Florida toddler has pleaded guilty to child neglect and another charge, and could be called to testify against her boyfriend who was also arrested after the child's disappearance.

Office of Regional Conflict Counsel spokesman Shawn Vincent said 26-year-old Lonna Lauramore Barton entered two guilty pleas Wednesday in a Jacksonville courtroom.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...Pleads-Guilty-to-Child-Neglect-364420601.html

Partial summary of Ebron's hearing today:

Defense motions:

Omit testimony that Ravenwood Apartments is a high crime area - motion granted.

Omit all DNA testimony - motion denied (provisionally).

Omit statements made to DCF – motion granted.

Omit statements from Ebron that the state says were lies - judge not prohibiting it but reserves ruling.

Competency hearing about child at 2 pm tomorrow. Cell phone evidence at 3.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/ebron-defense-reacts-to-lonna-bartons-plea

Lonzie's sister must miss her brother so much. I pray she is embraced with the truth and peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what part LB is going to take responsibility for since she pleaded guilty to child neglect?
And as far as Ebron's mother testifying...... Pfffft! I think she will lie to cover for her son. Why stop the enabling now? IMO she is living in a world of rainbows and unicorns when it comes to seeing her son/sons for what he/they are.

So...did LB accept a plea agreement or did she simply decide to forego her trial and plead guilty and allow a judge to determine her fate?

I am a little confused about that because a plea agreement usually includes reducing charges or sentencing, if I understand it correctly.

Just pleading guilty skips a trial by jury and all that's left is a judge deciding how long you serve, while you hope he takes mercy because you've accepted responsibility.

In either case, she could be required to provide testimony against WRE by the prosecution. Correct?

Can a lawyer weigh in on this? I think it would clear up some confusion about the case as it currently stands. I really think the MSM is getting some terms confused. It doesn't help that they are getting defense lawyers to weigh in on the case without clarifying that those attorneys are speculating about whether LLB knows or doesn't know Lonzie's whereabouts.
TIA :)

Seems even the state changes their story between the hearings....

In Barton's hearing...
Lisa Robbins ‏@LisaRobbinsFCN 23m23 minutes ago
Prosecutor says Barton knew Lonzie had injuries in late July and left him with Ebron anyways.

Larry Hannan ‏@LarryHannan 11s11 seconds ago
Mantei says Bbarton did not protect her son from neglect and abuse from ebron. Also, didn't seek medical attention after child was injured.

In Ebron's hearing...
State says there were no known injuries to Lonzie before being in Ebron's care that could have led to the blood found @ActionNewsJax

Classito

Are they maybe saying the blood found was more than what the injuries on the cell photos would have produced? As in, they're saying Ebron did additional injury that bled a lot but it wasn't the injuries the mom knew of?

In Barton's hearing...
Prosecutor says Barton knew Lonzie had injuries in late July and left him with Ebron anyways.

Mantei says Bbarton did not protect her son from neglect and abuse from ebron. Also, didn't seek medical attention after child was injured.

In Ebron's hearing...
State says there were no known injuries to Lonzie before being in Ebron's care that could have led to the blood found @ActionNewsJax

Classito

All those statements can be true.

Are they maybe saying the blood found was more than what the injuries on the cell photos would have produced? As in, they're saying Ebron did additional injury that bled a lot but it wasn't the injuries the mom knew of?
That's what I'm thinking.

:( Poor Lonzie

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

From what we know about Lonna, the mom, I can't imagine her telling the 100% truth if she testifies against Ebron! It seems she is good at telling what the other person wants to hear, so why would she tell anything that matches up with Ebron's story? Also, being caught in perjury is not a factor she would give much thought to.

She plead guilty to child neglect with a plea deal as the easy way out, IMO. Have we heard what the plea deal is?

My opinions only.

Is it possible to question this child in Ebron's trial by video conferencing from the judges chamber or a small room? Thus, sending it back to the courtroom for the jurors to view live.

Putting a 5 year old on the stand in a courtroom is not only a traumatic experience but could be so frightening that she will freeze up and not be able to talk. This child has been through so much already.

So...did LB accept a plea agreement or did she simply decide to forego her trial and plead guilty and allow a judge to determine her fate?

I am a little confused about that because a plea agreement usually includes reducing charges or sentencing, if I understand it correctly.

Just pleading guilty skips a trial by jury and all that's left is a judge deciding how long you serve, while you hope he takes mercy because you've accepted responsibility.

In either case, she could be required to provide testimony against WRE by the prosecution. Correct?

Can a lawyer weigh in on this? I think it would clear up some confusion about the case as it currently stands. I really think the MSM is getting some terms confused. It doesn't help that they are getting defense lawyers to weigh in on the case without clarifying that those attorneys are speculating about whether LLB knows or doesn't know Lonzie's whereabouts.
TIA :)

I'm not a lawyer but I'm with you on this one. I don't think Lonna took a plea deal, I believe she simply pleaded guilty. Her attorney was quoted as saying she "pledged" to tell the truth if she testifies against Ebron.

A plea deal usually means the defendant pleads guilty in exchange for something - lesser charges or a reduced sentence, exactly as you wrote. I've seen neither in Lonna's case. So yeah, I think msm jumped to "plea deal" without doing their homework.

As far as her testifying against Ebron she'll have to if she's on the witness list - the comment by her attorney is just saying she agreed to testify and promises to tell the truth.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm with you on this one. I don't think Lonna took a plea deal, I believe she simply pleaded guilty. Her attorney was quoted as saying she "pledged" to tell the truth if she testifies against Ebron.

A plea deal usually means the defendant pleads guilty in exchange for something - lesser charges or a reduced sentence, exactly as you wrote. I've seen neither in Lonna's case. So yeah, I think msm jumped to "plea deal" without doing their homework.

As far as her testifying against Ebron she'll have to if she's on the witness list - the comment by her attorney is just saying she agreed to testify and promises to tell the truth.

BBM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or just roll my eyes at that (bolded).

Where's Lonzie?? Ugh. :(

In Barton's hearing...

In Ebron's hearing...

Classito

Maybe the state is saying the amount or location of blood found couldn't have come from Lonzie's injuries prior to Lonna going to work. Such as the ear or mouth claims. Ruben was the first person to mention Lonzie had been injured. It is my theory that Ruben is the person that harmed Lonzie, Ruben's car was not stolen, I don't believe Ruben gave Lonzie a bath, and I think Ruben did laundry to cover up evidence.

Ruben probably knew there was going to be blood found.

The owners of the apt were this all happened has been changed the name of the apts according too First coast news this morning.

Maybe the state is saying the amount or location of blood found couldn't have come from Lonzie's injuries prior to Lonna going to work. Such as the ear or mouth claims. Ruben was the first person to mention Lonzie had been injured. It is my theory that Ruben is the person that harmed Lonzie, Ruben's car was not stolen, I don't believe Ruben gave Lonzie a bath, and I think Ruben did laundry to cover up evidence.

Ruben probably knew there was going to be blood found.

Ruben knew Lonzie was injured and so did Lonna, that's why they are both charged with child neglect. And they both knew Lonzie needed medical attention, and Lonna states to LE in her interview that she had a Dr's appointment for Lonzie on Friday. Wonder if her statement about that checked out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah