930 users online (182 members and 748 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The fall of Kate Moss

LONDON, England (AP) -- Barely a teenager and posing topless in a Calvin Klein underwear ad, Kate Moss sashayed her way onto magazine covers 15 years ago amid criticism of her uber-thin "heroin chic" image.

Now recent pictures of Moss allegedly snorting cocaine in a London studio have turned the 31-year-old fashion icon into a pariah, with fashion companies canceling or not renewing contracts worth millions of dollars.

Moss issued an apology Thursday, taking "full responsibility for my actions." Her dramatic fall has forced a re-think on fashion's role models, and has raised questions about how an industry notorious for its drug-fueled party life can cultivate Moss' bad-girl image, then turn on her once that image matches reality.

"It's hypocritical," said pop culture lecturer Cary Cooper of Lancaster University. "The industry saw the warning signs. Others saw the warning signs. Something should have been done sooner."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/09/2....ap/index.html

There are so many beautiful women modeling. I've never seen the attraction with Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules
    LONDON, England (AP) -- Barely a teenager and posing topless in a Calvin Klein underwear ad, Kate Moss sashayed her way onto magazine covers 15 years ago amid criticism of her uber-thin "heroin chic" image.

Now recent pictures of Moss allegedly snorting cocaine in a London studio have turned the 31-year-old fashion icon into a pariah, with fashion companies canceling or not renewing contracts worth millions of dollars.

Moss issued an apology Thursday, taking "full responsibility for my actions." Her dramatic fall has forced a re-think on fashion's role models, and has raised questions about how an industry notorious for its drug-fueled party life can cultivate Moss' bad-girl image, then turn on her once that image matches reality.

"It's hypocritical," said pop culture lecturer Cary Cooper of Lancaster University. "The industry saw the warning signs. Others saw the warning signs. Something should have been done sooner."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/09/2....ap/index.html
    So she switched from heroin to coke--is that the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    The story does make it sound that way doesn't it.

I'd have a sleeping disorder too if I was whiffing coke. geeez.

I think it's high time (no pun intended) that this be called out for what it is and the consequences be real for celeb drub abuse. I don't care one way or another about kate Moss, but I do get angry when drug use is glorified by celebs. I think that her being held accountable and having to pay some price is exactly right. May save her life if she is forced to make a change, who knows.

I don't know much about Kate... does she have any kids? etc...

Maybe she will voluntarily check herself in somewhere for treatment, but I suspect that drugs are very common in that industry and she will have a hard time continuing to work in it.

Nope. The problem is if she gets caught doing it, the designers and the cosmetic companies that she's contracted to can't pretend that it isn't happening. If they keep her on, they're condoning her activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    I don't know much about Kate... does she have any kids? etc...

Maybe she will voluntarily check herself in somewhere for treatment, but I suspect that drugs are very common in that industry and she will have a hard time continuing to work in it.

She's got a three year old daughter I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Nope. The problem is if she gets caught doing it, the designers and the cosmetic companies that she's contracted to can't pretend that it isn't happening. If they keep her on, they're condoning her activities.
    Actually, it's more like "they're OPENLY condoning her activities."
    Drug use is considered dereguer in the NY fashion scene (all of them, really).
    How else do you think they keep themselves junkie thin?

True enough. She's been hospitalized twice for different "reasons" in the past. Then, she apparently sued the tabloid for saying it was drug related. She won some money from them. Then, someone slips them the photo of her doing the coke and they print it. Pay back? You betcha! She's admitted to her "problem." She's been dropped from all of her contracts. However, she's still worth millions. So, she'll go "away" to another hospital and someone will pick up her contract again next year. No hard feelings.

I didn't think Kate was all that great when she first started out, but now I think she has gotten sexier... She's had drug problems in the past from what I've read...

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

There are so many beautiful women modeling. I've never seen the attraction with Moss.
    Same here.

I found a website with alot of her photos. I think she has an unusual look, one that draws you to her. I think she's pretty in her own way. Check these pics out- she DOES look good! Click on "galleries":
    http://katemoss.d2g.com/

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Exactly, and particularly so in this case. Kate Moss was the "poster girl" for the Heroin Chic movement in which models and actors (male and female) were required to look like junkies in order to work.

The outrage from Moss' current employers (most of whom also employed her when she started) is the very height of hypocrisy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast