The fall of Kate Moss

Jules

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
LONDON, England (AP) -- Barely a teenager and posing topless in a Calvin Klein underwear ad, Kate Moss sashayed her way onto magazine covers 15 years ago amid criticism of her uber-thin "heroin chic" image.

Now recent pictures of Moss allegedly snorting cocaine in a London studio have turned the 31-year-old fashion icon into a pariah, with fashion companies canceling or not renewing contracts worth millions of dollars.

Moss issued an apology Thursday, taking "full responsibility for my actions." Her dramatic fall has forced a re-think on fashion's role models, and has raised questions about how an industry notorious for its drug-fueled party life can cultivate Moss' bad-girl image, then turn on her once that image matches reality.

"It's hypocritical," said pop culture lecturer Cary Cooper of Lancaster University. "The industry saw the warning signs. Others saw the warning signs. Something should have been done sooner."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/09/26/kate.moss.ap/index.html

There are so many beautiful women modeling. I've never seen the attraction with Moss. :waitasec:

Jules said:
LONDON, England (AP) -- Barely a teenager and posing topless in a Calvin Klein underwear ad, Kate Moss sashayed her way onto magazine covers 15 years ago amid criticism of her uber-thin "heroin chic" image.

Now recent pictures of Moss allegedly snorting cocaine in a London studio have turned the 31-year-old fashion icon into a pariah, with fashion companies canceling or not renewing contracts worth millions of dollars.

Moss issued an apology Thursday, taking "full responsibility for my actions." Her dramatic fall has forced a re-think on fashion's role models, and has raised questions about how an industry notorious for its drug-fueled party life can cultivate Moss' bad-girl image, then turn on her once that image matches reality.

"It's hypocritical," said pop culture lecturer Cary Cooper of Lancaster University. "The industry saw the warning signs. Others saw the warning signs. Something should have been done sooner."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/09/26/kate.moss.ap/index.html
So she switched from heroin to coke--is that the problem?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BillyGoatGruff said:

The story does make it sound that way doesn't it. :eek: :waitasec:

I'd have a sleeping disorder too if I was whiffing coke. geeez.

I think it's high time (no pun intended) that this be called out for what it is and the consequences be real for celeb drub abuse. I don't care one way or another about kate Moss, but I do get angry when drug use is glorified by celebs. I think that her being held accountable and having to pay some price is exactly right. May save her life if she is forced to make a change, who knows.

I don't know much about Kate... does she have any kids? etc...

Maybe she will voluntarily check herself in somewhere for treatment, but I suspect that drugs are very common in that industry and she will have a hard time continuing to work in it.

BillyGoatGruff said:

Nope. The problem is if she gets caught doing it, the designers and the cosmetic companies that she's contracted to can't pretend that it isn't happening. If they keep her on, they're condoning her activities.

Casshew said:
I don't know much about Kate... does she have any kids? etc...

Maybe she will voluntarily check herself in somewhere for treatment, but I suspect that drugs are very common in that industry and she will have a hard time continuing to work in it.

She's got a three year old daughter I believe.

Jeana (DP) said:
Nope. The problem is if she gets caught doing it, the designers and the cosmetic companies that she's contracted to can't pretend that it isn't happening. If they keep her on, they're condoning her activities.
Actually, it's more like "they're OPENLY condoning her activities."
Drug use is considered dereguer in the NY fashion scene (all of them, really).
How else do you think they keep themselves junkie thin?

BillyGoatGruff said:

True enough. She's been hospitalized twice for different "reasons" in the past. Then, she apparently sued the tabloid for saying it was drug related. She won some money from them. Then, someone slips them the photo of her doing the coke and they print it. Pay back? You betcha! She's admitted to her "problem." She's been dropped from all of her contracts. However, she's still worth millions. So, she'll go "away" to another hospital and someone will pick up her contract again next year. No hard feelings. :confused:

I didn't think Kate was all that great when she first started out, but now I think she has gotten sexier... She's had drug problems in the past from what I've read...

Jeana (DP) said:
There are so many beautiful women modeling. I've never seen the attraction with Moss. :waitasec:
I found a website with alot of her photos. I think she has an unusual look, one that draws you to her. I think she's pretty in her own way. Check these pics out- she DOES look good! Click on "galleries":
http://katemoss.d2g.com/

km000218.jpg

BillyGoatGruff said:

Exactly, and particularly so in this case. Kate Moss was the "poster girl" for the Heroin Chic movement in which models and actors (male and female) were required to look like junkies in order to work.

The outrage from Moss' current employers (most of whom also employed her when she started) is the very height of hypocrisy.

Kate's back to work and out of rehab...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174885,00.html

LONDON — Kate Moss took her first modeling job since checking out of drug rehabilitation with a photo shoot for designer Roberto Cavalli on the Spanish island of Ibiza.
Moss, 31, spent two days on Ibiza for the shoot last week and was accompanied by her 3-year-old daughter, Cavalli said in a statement issued Tuesday through Moss's London spokesman.

Moss, who checked out of an Arizona rehab clinic Oct. 27, modeled the Italian designer's spring and summer collection for photos to appear next year in magazines, including Vogue and W, the statement said.

"Kate looks absolutely fantastic. She is confident and stylish and she works well with the Cavalli look. She is back working and doing what she does best and, like usual, she was really professional," Cavalli said.

She wasn't in that rehab nearly long enough to do enough to cure her habit. The fact that she brings her three-year old daughter to photo shoots sickens me. I've seen what goes in during some of those shoots and for the most part, kids shouldn't be there. Frankly, I could care less what another grown up does to her own body, but I don't like being fed crap by the media.

I've posted this before - I AM SO SICK OF OUR FASCINATION WITH CELEBS, I COULD JUST PUKE.

Just look at this very site. All the people missing, a war being fought, kids missing, sex offenders everywhere you turn, and the media would rather put the spotlight on some celeb with a fresh boob job, getting divorced for the 3rd time, just out of rehab for something, and wearing $5000 shoes on the red carpet, than address any of the issues of our society.

And we wonder what's happening to the morals in our society. This is what gets spoonfed to our kids everyday!!

Kate, I don't care if you shoot heroin or snort coke, I just wish I didn't have to hear about any of them for any reason!!

LButler said:
I've posted this before - I AM SO SICK OF OUR FASCINATION WITH CELEBS, I COULD JUST PUKE.
That's part of the reason I follow that junk...the war, the true crime get to be way too much! I reach a saturation level pretty quickly on the crimes against innocent people and all of the injustice in the world.

The beauty of it is if people don't want to read celebrity news, they don't have to! :)

Jeana (DP) said:
Can't say I have either.
She looks short too, is she??
She doesn't seem as tall as other models.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back