Steven Avery

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
Use this thread for general discussion of Steven Avery.

See this thread for documents and references.

Yay a new forum! Congrats on your appointment as head honcho shadowraiths!

I think it would be valuable for us to document steve's statements, both from his mouth to the media, and from the statements of others. As well as observations about him, made by others including family and those close to him.

In particular the bryan dassey interview that someone posted on the main thread yesterday, that gives perspectives on Steve Avery that none of us have seen before. If we take the manufactured image of Steve Avery from the documentary as the gospel, we aren't likely to be able to draw many conclusions about what he's really like when cameras aren't around and he is being himself. Early on, I have found the manufactured image to be troubling, when you had the documentary stating that many people in the area had bias towards him, but no concrete reasons beyond things he had to concede because they were of public record -- killing/torturing a cat and driving someone off the road and pulling a gun. Borderline kidnapping imo.

This is the post I am referring to -- http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ary-on-Steven-Avery-2&p=12281749#post12281749

I don't know if it would make most sense in an interviews thread , but at minimum it should be referred to/linked in this thread as it helps us get an impression of Steven Avery from his nephew. It starts to give us a more unfiltered impression of Steve Avery, which I think is worthwhile for us to evaluate. Some have pondered if he was cocky. Some have pondered if he was abusive to those around him. Some have pondered what his relationships were like, with those around him. This is the kind of doc that gives insight.

Does anyone know if there was ever a psych evaluation on Steven Avery or Brenden? Did Steven receive any counseling throughout his life? Coming from a counseling background, I am a little biased on topic. Despite the image of Steven that was portrayed on Netflix, I knew from the start that SA had many underlying emotional, psychological, and developmental issues. His life experiences combined with his childhood development has limited Steven in many areas of life. He has anger issues because he does not have coping skills and literally cannot handle situations in a healthy manner. I do in-home counseling with children that have behavioral problems and what we saw on the Netflix series (as far as Steven's home life goes) reminds me of the clients that I work with. Many of the children that I work with have been abused, neglected, and basically deprived of any educational opportunity in life. The results are... Anger problems, torturing animals, unhealthy relationships, lack of social skills, learning disabilities, etc. I'm not accusing his parents of abuse or neglect, but his educational needs are lacking. I don't think his parents even realized that he had behavioral issues or that his IQ was low. I do believe Steven has anger issues. Where it began, we don't know. That's why I would love to see a psych evaluation or some type of mental analysis to discuss other problems such as lack of empathy. Look at the letters he wrote to his now ex wife while he was in jail the first time. Obviously I understand the degree of insanity he felt for being wrongfully convicted in the first place, but to constantly write letters threatening to kill someone doesn't really help his case. But he isn't that intelligent either... Many things that make sense to us do not even cross his mind. Also, I'll post a link to an article that has an interview with his most recent friend or girlfriend (not really sure). She describes him as being very kind to her but states that he is becoming bitter. His only visitors are his parents. Not sure if that really says anything or not, but she claims that his brothers haven't gone to visit once.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ert-Christianity-says-convinced-innocent.html

Not sure if this is the correct thread or if it should be it's own, but is there information out there (I haven't found it yet but I'm just starting) that gives a timeline of the day from SA's perspective?

Not sure if this is the correct thread or if it should be it's own, but is there information out there (I haven't found it yet but I'm just starting) that gives a timeline of the day from SA's perspective?

We don't have that, as Steve Avery doesn't testify.

You can get a defense narrative of the day likely from the avery trial transcripts when we get them at some point, as I'm sure the defense would have likely given that in a closing argument. This likely will paint what Steve Avery says happened.

But the video I posted above is Steve in his own words giving a time for seeing TH. Beyond that, we see police interview clips in documentary that were at time of arrest I assume, but we don't have transcripts or full interview footage for those.

Steven Avery sends WISN 12 a letter: 'Truth will set me free'
Jan 22, 2016

MILWAUKEE —WISN 12 News investigative reporter Colleen Henry wrote convicted Steven Avery to see if he would be willing to talk about how the Netflix documentary series “Making a Murderer” has affected him.

Thursday afternoon, she received his three-page response.

[...]

Avery suggested the state paid his former girlfriend to change her story writing, "How much money Jodi get to talk bad!"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back