1131 users online (216 members and 915 guests)  

Websleuths News

NJ - Faheem Williams, 7, beaten to death, Irvington, Sept 2002

The teenage cousin of a 7-year-old boy whose decomposed body was found stuffed in a basement storage bin will plead guilty to reckless manslaughter and be freed shortly afterward under terms of a plea deal with prosecutors, his lawyer said Monday.

Wesley Murphy, the 19-year-old cousin of Faheem Williams, reportedly told investigators he had been wrestling in 2003 with his cousin, whose head struck the side of a bed and the floor of the bedroom where they were roughhousing. Murphy was 16 at the time.

The Essex County prosecutor's office said plea agreements with Murphy; his mother, Sherry Murphy; and with family friend Joseph Reese are to be presented to state Superior Court Judge Michael Casale on Tuesday morning.
    http://www.wnbc.com/news/5022004/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This still isn't right. What about the child's rights? A whole lot of dysfunction going on and this just means society isn't any safer.

Wesley Murphy, the Newark teenager who told police he accidentally killed Faheem while wrestling with him, will plead guilty to reckless manslaughter, said his attorney, Patricia Weston Rivera. His statement to police on Jan. 10, 2003, led to his arrest.

His mother, 43-year-old Sherry Murphy, a cousin of the children's mother, will plead guilty to kidnapping and child endangerment charges, said Clarence Jackson, a relative of the boys. It was in her apartment building that Faheem's remains were discovered, stuffed in a plastic bin and concealed in a closet that had been nailed shut.

Wesley Murphy will get a prison sentence of two to five years, while Sherry Murphy will receive a term of 15 to 25 years, said Jackson, who said he had been briefed by prosecutors.

A third plea bargain, meanwhile, is scheduled to be entered on behalf of Joseph Reese, 48, of Orange, a friend of Sherry Murphy's. He will admit sexually assaulting Raheem Williams and will be sentenced to 10 years, Jackson said.

Rivera said she will argue for a term that would allow her client to walk free in a matter of days. Wesley Murphy, now 19, initially was charged as a juvenile but later was transferred to adult court.
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....080.xml&coll=1
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Also pleading guilty Tuesday was Murphy's mother, Sherry Murphy, who admitted finding Faheem's body on the floor, trying to revive him, and then leaving her dead nephew there for several days. Murphy said she later put Faheem's body in a clothes hamper and put it in the basement of their Irvington apartment, and taking the hamper when they moved to Newark. Faheem's body was found in the basement of the Newark apartment in January 2003.

Sherry Murphy also admitted she provided inadequate food and water to Faheem's twin, Raheem, and a younger half-brother, Tyrone Hill. Murphy faces nearly 16 years in prison when she is sentenced Nov. 2. She had been charged with attempted murder and child endangerment. http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=3481327

What a terrible waste of so many lives. Heaven help us.

Cousin details abuse of Faheem, brothers

The woman at the center of New Jersey's most notorious child abuse case yesterday calmly admitted bringing two young boys to the brink of death by denying them food and water and failing to get medical attention for a third who was injured and later died on her bedroom floor.

Speaking in a low, barely audible voice and showing no emotion, Sherry Murphy, 43, told a judge she hid the body of 7-year-old Faheem Williams while keeping two of his brothers under lock and key in a dingy Newark basement with only a bucket for a toilet.

Murphy said she panicked after discovering Faheem on her floor, apparently dying from a blow to the midsection from her son, Wesley. She let the body lie on the floor for three days before deciding to seal it in a clothes hamper and move it to the basement.
    http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....470.xml&coll=1

It was one of New Jersey's most gruesome child abuse cases, a 7-year-old boy's mummified body stuffed into a plastic container only a few feet from where his two starving brothers were kept in a locked basement with a bucket for a toilet.

On Tuesday, two of the boy's cousins pleaded guilty to charges stemming from the death of the child, Faheem Williams, in a case that aroused national outrage and laid bare the failures of the state's child welfare system.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/28/nyregion/28child.html

NJ - Body of Faheem Williams, 7, found in storage bin, Sept 2002

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/02/ki....ap/index.html

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- A woman who admitted hiding the body of a 7-year-old relative in a basement storage bin was sentenced Wednesday to 25 years in prison.

Her son, who admitted killing the child in a wrestling move, was sentenced to three years.

Faheem Williams' decomposed body was found stuffed in a basement storage bin three years ago, and his twin and half brother were discovered living in squalor and filth. The case generated national outrage and led to an overhaul of New Jersey's child welfare agency.

More at link at top

from the article:

"

Melinda Williams, the mother of the three boys, had been released from jail and was living in New York when Faheem's body was found. In court Wednesday, she complained that Wesley Murphy's sentence was too light, prompting a rebuke from the judge.

"You are not blameless. You are the parent. Look in the mirror," Casale said."

I like that judge!!!

I'm confused here...did the mom even ask where her son was? Did she know he was dead? I understood it that the mom was in jail, kid died in aunt's custody and she hid him. Mom gets out of jail, and then what? Sad case.....

Quote Originally Posted by rosario_c
    I'm confused here...did the mom even ask where her son was? Did she know he was dead? I understood it that the mom was in jail, kid died in aunt's custody and she hid him. Mom gets out of jail, and then what? Sad case.....
    Mom was released from jail and was too busy wrapping her lips on a crack pipe to be bothered retrieving her children, or noticing one was missing!