Bones

Tawny

Reaction score
What are your theories as to why there were pieces of TH's bones in the burn barrel and in the quarry?

The location of the bones certainly puzzles me. If they were found in the three places, it would seem very likely they were moved. I wonder where the majority of the bones were found. Not the burn barrel, and probably not the quarry. So it seems that most were found in SA's fire pit. I can't come up with a good theory as to why he would move some of them to the quarry. If he wanted to get rid of the bones from his fire pit, wouldn't he have moved most of them to the quarry? Doing so would make it seem more likely that that is where the body was burned. Instead, he just moved some to the quarry? Why? Makes no sense. Especially if CA actually cleaned the garage, why would he be so casual about the fire pit? Either don't move the bones or try to move them all? Also, if the fire was hot enough to burn the body, why would it not have burned the items found in the barrel?

If you're willing to consider Brendan's answer to that: he said his uncle used a bucket to scatter some of TH's remains/bones. He said the uncle 'buried' some of them (i.e. folded them under some existing dirt about 3 or 4 ft in front of the fire pit), and removed 1 or more bucket loads over to the quarry. As to why SA did a half-arsed job of it, no one knows. Maybe he intended to do more and ran out of time. Maybe he thought he removed enough so the pile of stuff wouldn't be obvious, and by spreading it around people would not easily find any remains.

If one is not willing to consider Brendan's answer, then ... dunno.

Do you know if any were found buried in front of the fire pit as Brendan said? That would also be interesting to know. It seems odd to bury some, transport others, not empty the burn barrel. Just another weird aspect of this strange case.

So, SA burns her body in his fire pit near his home. Then he decides to take some of the larger bones and dump them in a quarry. And he randomly buries a few bone fragments near his fire pit, but leaves others. Then he decides, for whatever reason, to have some bones and other belongings of TH placed in his brother-in-law's burn barrel, just for the heck of it. He has, however, done a masterful job of cleaning out the garage. Hard for me to make sense of this, even after reading from the links provided. Perhaps someone else has studied this more thoroughly and has a theory? Or did I read it wrong?

While the defence argued that bones were moved - and there is enough evidence to show that bones we discovered at 3 sites, SA's burn pit, Janda/Dassey Burn Barrel No 2., and the quarry, there is no evidence to show that the body/bones were burned elsewhere and then moved to SA's burn pit.

While the defence argued that bones were moved - and there is enough evidence to show that bones we discovered at 3 sites, SA's burn pit, Janda/Dassey Burn Barrel No 2., and the quarry, there is no evidence to show that the body/bones were burned elsewhere and then moved to SA's burn pit.

IMO, the evidence showing it was burned elsewhere is as the expert stated: The fact that the majority of bones were in the pit shows it wasn't burned there but moved there.

IMO, the evidence showing it was burned elsewhere is as the expert stated: The fact that the majority of bones were in the pit shows it wasn't burned there but moved there.

I'm sorry, but you're opinion is wrong, and mistating things like this can be harmful to people seeking the truth.

The defense's forensic anthropologist witness did not offer an opinion that the bones were burnt in the quarry or that the bones weren't burnt in the firepit.

All he claimed was that he couldn't offer an opinion on where the bones were burnt:

And based on the recovery method that was used here, are you able to offer an opinion about where these human remains were burned?

No, I'm not.

and therefore couldn't agree (which is different than disagree) with Eisenberg's opinion because in some cases bones are moved:

Can you agree with Dr. Eisenberg's opinion that probably the area behind Mr. Avery's garage was the original burn site?

No.

Why not?

I've been involved in cases where human cremains have been burned in one location and moved to another location. And in those cases, in fact, the actual location where the bones have been moved to, tends to be the location where most of the remains are.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming....&t=24360&sid=84f75dece0ed7eb2273be0b385c56f21

I haven't found any discussion of analysis of the debris around the bones vs the various locations and their debris, ash, barrel peelings etc. This appears to be a very incomplete investigation and crucial! I agree with you Tawny...seems like the bones were dumped in the pit.

"I've been involved in cases where human cremains have been burned in one location and moved to another location. And in those cases, in fact, the actual location where the bones have been moved to, tends to be the location where most of the remains are."

That's exactly what I said.

If you're willing to consider Brendan's answer to that: he said his uncle used a bucket to scatter some of TH's remains/bones. He said the uncle 'buried' some of them (i.e. folded them under some existing dirt about 3 or 4 ft in front of the fire pit), and removed 1 or more bucket loads over to the quarry. As to why SA did a half-arsed job of it, no one knows. Maybe he intended to do more and ran out of time. Maybe he thought he removed enough so the pile of stuff wouldn't be obvious, and by spreading it around people would not easily find any remains.

If one is not willing to consider Brendan's answer, then ... dunno.

I see the logic of this, up to the point of leaving so many right next to your own garage! haha

That's kind of the problem I have with believing Brendan in this case. Because it kind of sounds like detectives trying to get brendan to say something that explains why the bones are in multiple locations.

I could understand if we found a decent amount of bones in multiple locations, then we could say, this makes more sense.

But if someone is thinking about moving bones to make them harder to find, why leave so many in the most likely place they'd be looking and the place that most incriminates you ?

half-arsed job is taking at least 10 bone fragments.

finding 1 or 2 bones near Janda residence, seems more like an ooops... thing, when moving them away from there.

Would be interesting to know what percent of the bones is believed to be discovered. If it's say 25% that is in the Avery pit, then that makes a little more sense. meaning he moved 75% of the bones elsewhere, and some maybe not even found.

I believe most of the bones (not all, but most) were found in the fire pit. A few were in the burn barrel, some were in the quarry.

I believe most of the bones (not all, but most) were found in the fire pit. A few were in the burn barrel, some were in the quarry.

To the best of my knowledge, only a human pelvic bone was found in the quarry and was never confirmed to be Teresa's (though in Eisenberg's expert opinion it is most likely hers).

If the pelvic bone was not hers, then whose? Surely they would launch a further investigation if they believed this bone belonged to another (murdered) person?

There's not much more investigating you can do based on one unidentified pelvic bone when you've already investigated everything and everyone on that 40-acre property. Do you have any suggestions?

Anyway, it's a moot point, as it most likely is TH's bone (as I've said, I believe Eisenberg, the forensic anthropologist on the scene, states that's her opinion).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tawny
"
I've been involved in cases where human cremains have been burned in one location and moved to another location. And in those cases, in fact, the actual location where the bones have been moved to, tends to be the location where most of the remains are."

That's exactly what I said.

No you said this:

Please, let's discuss this case rationally.​

===============================

Am I misreading this, because they seem to say the same thing, although not EXACTLY same wording.

Context for both is a situation where bones are found in multiple location, such as this case.

Wherever the most bones are, is the most likely place they were moved to. So, wherever they were moved from is the more likely place they were burned.

In this case, that would mean the bones were not burned in steve avery's fire pit, since the majority of the bones were in his fire pit. Making it instead, the place the bones moved to.

What am I missing here ? or is this purely about it not being EXACT wording ?

There's not much more investigating you can do based on one unidentified pelvic bone when you've already investigated everything and everyone on that 40-acre property. Do you have any suggestions?

Anyway, it's a moot point, as it most likely is TH's bone (as I've said, I believe Eisenberg, the forensic anthropologist on the scene, states that's her opinion).

I don't think I have any problem in agreeing it's likely TH's bone. What would be the implications if it wasn't - in regards to this case ?

It would just mean that there was bones found in 2 locations, not 3 ? right ?

that would mean 1 less possible burn location ?

The two posts with the links attached to the actual testimony and Reddit page really explain throughly the questions also asked here in this thread. After reading both links, I have a better understanding concerning the significance of the bone evidence. Thanks for posting!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back