VA VA - Ruther Glen, off I-95, 2 HispMales, UP6301 & UP6507, poss father/son, new clothes, Nov'88

astridxx

Reaction score
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-365009561.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand

Virginia officials are asking the public to help them identify skeletal remains.

Chief Medical Examiner William Gormley on Tuesday unveiled facial models of eight people who were found dead in central Virginia and have never been identified.

Gormley says three of the sets of remains were found at separate locations and times in Stafford County. Two of the individuals were discovered in Caroline County and one was found in Henrico County. The remaining two were located in James City County and York County.

The facial approximations are of five men and three women. Their remains were discovered between 1972 and 2014.

Gormley is encouraging anyone who may be able to identify the individuals to contact his office.​

va+cold+cases.jpg

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/medexam/missingperson.htm

C1988-13134, NamUs #6507: Caroline County – On November 10, 1988, the remains of a Hispanic male were found along Interstate 95 at mile marker 112 in Caroline County. He is believed to have been 35-45 years of age...

Caroline County—On the 10th of November, 1988, the remains of a Hispanic male were found along I-95 at mile marker 112 in Caroline County. He is believed to have been 17-25 years of age.

If the workforce in Louisiana is any clue, we should be looking for males of mixed ethnicity (European/Meso-American First Narion) in the agriculture or construction areas.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/townn...cle_6c74fc9b-ec5c-542f-b15c-5923914563d5.html

The remains of two Hispanic men, possibly a father and son, were found by hunters in the woods along I–95 about two miles north of the Ladysmith exit on Nov. 10, 1988.

The older man, featured in the January update, was 35 to 45 years old with black hair. He had a gray, white and navy plaid short-sleeve shirt with pearl buttons and a navy long-sleeve shirt, brown “Rustler” jeans, a brown belt with “SILVANO” impressed on it, tan cowboy boots and a pair of baseball caps. He also had a religious medallion and a belt buckle with an “eagle-like headdress” and “MEXICO” printed on it.

His DNA was collected. He has been excluded from 170 missing person cases.

The other skeletal remains found were from a 17- to 25-year-old. He had black hair, a blue-and-gray, short-sleeve T-shirt with a “TRAX” label, blue jeans with a Rustler label and red and black cowboy boots.

Not enough DNA could be extracted from his remains to run in the NAMUS system.

It is estimated that the pair died within 10 months of being discovered, according to NAMUS.

Case Numbers: UP6507 and UP6301

Case Information: On November 10, 1988 two male skeletons were found in a wooded area along I-95 near the Ladysmith Road exit or 112 mile marker in Ruther Glen, Virginia. The skeletons were both Hispanic males who shared a parternal relationship with each other possibly father and son. The estimated post-mortem interval (PMI) was 10 months. Here's the case information

Older Decadent:
2439UMVA_LARGE.jpg

• Estimated Age: 35-45 years old
  • Race: Hispanic
  • Height: 5'4" to 5'6"
  • Weight: 130-140 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Black
  • Eye Color: Unknown
  • Clothing: Gray/white/navy plaid short sleeve shirt with pearl buttons, navy long sleeve shirt, brown denim Rustler pants, brown leather belt with "SILVANO" tooled in the leather and painted white, tan cowboy boots (10 5/8' long), red briefs, green sock, red baseball cap, blue baseball cap, and a belt buckle with a man with an eagle-like headress and the word MEXICO on the front.
Additional Personal Items: Religious medal with the figure of "Archangel San Miguel Ar__Defendednos" on one side and the figure of Mary and the words "Sta. Maria de Guadalaupe Ruega por Nosotros" on the other side.

Younger Decadent
1348UMVA_LARGE.jpg

• Estimated Age: 17-25 years old
  • Race: Hispanic
  • Height: 5'3" to 5'7"
  • Weight: 135 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Black
  • Eye Color: Unknown

• Distinguishing Marks/Features: Congenital absence of a left transverse process on a lumbar vertebra. Wide nose and a thin build, as determined by the anthropology exam.

• Dentals: Available. No restorations noted in teeth recovered; some teeth missing post-mortem. All four third molars extracted. The teeth could have been extracted earlier in life or congenitally absent.
Clothing: Blue and gray TRAX short sleeved V-neck T-Shirt (boys size Large), blue Rustler denim jeans with folded cuffs to shorten the length (30x28; style # 89681), and red and black cowboy boots (size 8˝ D) with minimal wear, appearing new.

• Jewelry: Unknown

• Additional Personal Items: All of his personal effects are related to the Hispanic culture.

If you have any ideas of theories please suggest them.

The only article I've seen so far that lists the manner of death: homicide.
The two hunters reported the find around 8:30 a.m. in a wooded area about 75 yards east of I–95, according to an article in the Nov. 11, 1988, edition of The Free Lance–Star.

Virginia State Police Senior Special Agent James Lyons would not elaborate at a news conference in Richmond Tuesday, but said that the two men were definitely victims of homicide.

“We do have a cause of death and a manner of death, and we have evidence left at the scene that we have in our possession,” he said. “But first, we need to find out who they are.”
BBM

Dead men lack identities 25 years later

Here's the original 11/11/88 article from the archives
The Free Lance-Star - Google News Archive Search

I'm hoping to find a follow-up article in the archives, but it's pretty slow going since they're scans of the old newspapers without the ability to do run a word search (as far as I can tell)

Bumping for this possible father and son...I think I know the cause of death and I can't imagine what their final minutes were like :(

The younger Doe's NamUs has been updated and it suggests that he may be Black/African American. Also, his date of death is listed as 2 months while his father's is 10 months. Could they have been killed at different times? Seems unlikely but who knows?

I think the older guy could be a truck driver. Flannel, jeans, boots, Budweiser hat...common apparel for truckers. Perhaps he was taking his younger relative along with him and encountered the wrong guy. I've also seen they both could have been hitchhikers.

Also, there is some evidence either one of these victims or both had ties to North Carolina. Unfortunately, not much is known other than the general state so its quite hard to narrow down.

I also mentioned that the younger victims NamUs had been updated to reflect he may have been of African American descent. I asked an investigator about this and he basically said that came from general DNA testing. He also mentioned one of the victims mothers may have Cuban or Black, but I'm not sure if he meant that was what is believed or if he was just making an example of how he could be of African American ancestry.

Many Hispanics have some amount of African heritage.

And/or if his father was Mexican without African heritage, still his mother may have been African American or Afrolatina or Afrocaribbean. It does not say what side the African DNA is from and at what amounts

The younger Doe's NamUs has been updated and it suggests that he may be Black/African American. Also, his date of death is listed as 2 months while his father's is 10 months. Could they have been killed at different times? Seems unlikely but who knows?

And i guess the paternal connection was just established by y-DNA. So they could be paternally related cousins, uncle and nephew or just from a very endogamous clan where most men are paternally related via one or more distant male ancestors. Like in a village.

And i guess the paternal connection was just established by y-DNA. So they could be paternally related cousins, uncle and nephew or just from a very endogamous clan where most men are paternally related via one or more distant male ancestors. Like in a village.
If this isn't a father-son situation, I think it's probably an uncle-nephew situation. It should be relatively easy to confirm their relationship; maybe we just need a little more DNA testing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back