NY - Queens woman accused of holding children as slaves

Momoffourboys

Reaction score
http://pix11.com/2016/01/12/queens-woman-accused-of-holding-children-as-slaves-for-6-years/

FLUSHING, Queens – The neat brick facade along the tree-lined Queens street gave no indication of the horrific crimes taking place inside, according to the district attorney.

Sook Yeong Park, 42, is accused of holding two South Korean children as slaves for six years, starting when they were just 9 and 11. Park, who faces charges of labor trafficking, among others, forced both children to work grueling hours at the house and at nearby businesses, forcing one child to sleep on the floor with no mattress and the other in a closet, according to the Queens District Attorney.

More at link

I hope she get's a closet of her own soon.. It would be extra special if she had to share it with a large foul tempered person..

This story just aired on PIX11.

It was the school that reported to authorities. The girl came to school with bruises and the asst principal took it upon himself to show up at the house to do a welfare check. Kudos to this amazing man for saving at least two lives.

Snip

The children were forced to meticulously clean the house, with the girl working after school from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m., during which time she was also expected to give Park lengthy massages, manicures and pedicures, according to the complaint. On at least one occasion, Park allegedly made the girl give her a body massage for five hours while she watched television.

Sometimes she would pull the children out of school for days or even a month while forcing them to work on her home at 43-52 196th Street, according to the district attorney. Along with the work at home, Park made the girl and her brother work at a Queens grocery store for $10 an hour and pocketed all of her earnings, according to the complaint.

When she was angry, Park would routinely beat the children, hitting them with objects, slapping them, kicking them and stomping on their legs, Brown said. In November of 2015, Park apparently became enraged over a pedicure and attacked the girl, scratching her legs with a nail clipper, he said.

Just this year, on January 4, Park repeatedly kicked the girl’s leg until it swelled up, then cut off her hair and kicked her in the head, according to the complaint. Two days later, the assistant principal at Francis Lewis High School noticed the bruises on the girl’s legs and asked her what happened. School officials said they had noticed how the girl missed classes regularly and was often so tired she fell asleep in class.

Once she explained how the bruise allegedly happened, the assistant principal drove to Park’s house and demanded the children’s passports, which Park turned over, then went to the grocery store to collect the money owed to the brother and sister, according to court documents. School officials notified police and the subsequent investigation resulted in Park’s arrest.

http://pix11.com/2016/01/12/queens-woman-accused-of-holding-children-as-slaves-for-6-years/

It's great to see someone step up and do the right thing for a change. I hope justice in her case is swift and severe..

Good God!! Those poor children! It takes a really evil person to enslave human beings, let alone children.

I also need to know how they were able to be employed at a grocery store at such a young age. There are child labor laws in place for this very reason. I don't have an issue with children having jobs. I had a job at my Aunt's business as a child and earned money making salads and cleaning tables. But, she did it legally. Something tells me these children were not working legally.

I just feel terrible for these children. Were they adopted/sold for this sole purpose?

I want to throw up.

Good God!! Those poor children! It takes a really evil person to enslave human beings, let alone children.

I also need to know how they were able to be employed at a grocery store at such a young age. There are child labor laws in place for this very reason. I don't have an issue with children having jobs. I had a job at my Aunt's business as a child and earned money making salads and cleaning tables. But, she did it legally. Something tells me these children were not working legally.

I just feel terrible for these children. Were they adopted/sold for this sole purpose?

I want to throw up.

“According to the charges, the defendant cut off all contact between the two young victims and their parents in Korea," said D.A. Richard A. Brown. Park enslaved the children after one of her relatives brought the brother and sister to the country in January 2010, according to the criminal complaint."

From the link above

I want to throw up.

I read in one of the articles that the woman owned several businesses and had the children work there. They weren't employed legally. They were enslaved by HER.
I believe SHE owned the grocery store.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back