IL - Chicago drops objection to releasing police shooting video

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
At 7:24am today:

Chicago Officials Fight the Release of Video Capturing Fatal Shooting of Cedrick Chatman, 17

The city of Chicago has filed paperwork to keep another fatal police shooting video from being released to the public, saying the video could taint any potential juror pool.

The court filing came two days before Christmas and two weeks after Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s pledge of transparency on police shootings.

The case revolves around a wrongful death suit against two police officers in the January 7, 2013, shooting death of 17-year-old Cedrick Chatman.

In the police account of the shooting, Chatman ditched a stolen car and ran from two officers. As the officers pursued on foot, police say, the 5-foot-7, 133-pound Chatman turned toward them. Officer Kevin Fry told investigators he feared for his partner’s life and fired four shots.

Fry said he believed Chatman was armed. It turned out the teen was carrying a black iPhone box, according to police reports.

At 5:53pm today:
Chicago drops objection to releasing another police shooting video

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s administration has changed course and said Wednesday that it is dropping its objection to releasing video footage that shows a Chicago Police officer fatally shooting a 17-year-old unarmed black teenager.

U.S. District Court Judge Robert Gettleman was expected rule on Thursday on whether to release the Chatman video.

Officer Kevin Fry said that he shot Chatman after the teen ran from a stolen vehicle holding what he mistakenly thought was a gun. Fry’s partner, officer Lou Toth, was chasing Chatman, but Fry said in his deposition that he opened fire after seeing the teen turn slightly toward them.

He shot four times, striking Chatman twice. The teen was holding a black iPhone box.

“I was in fear of Officer Toth's life,” Fry said in his deposition. “I was in fear of my own life. And any pedestrians in the area, I was in fear of their life as well.”

Five cameras in the area, including a police camera, caught footage from the incident. Chatman was shot about seven seconds after he ran from the car.

Much more at the links.

Wow, this one is messy.

Shot 7 seconds after he started to run - must have been shot in the back with 2 out of 4 shots. By an officer concerned for the safety of pedestrians, according to the officer, as well as his partner.

It was already ruled unjustified and the person giving that ruling was promptly fired. Now he has filed a whistleblower lawsuit - that's a second lawsuit underway on one shooting.

No wonder the mayor did not want this video released - inspite of what he tells people on how transparent he promises to be.

What a mess imo.

You want mess?

2 Men Charged with Carjacking, Murder After Fatal Police Shooting

Two men were charged with the murder of a 17-year-old who was shot and killed by police after all three were allegedly involved in a carjacking, police said.

Frederick Chatmen, 17, died after an officer shot him following the alleged carjacking on Monday. An officer fired at Chatmen because he was thought to be carrying a weapon, police said in an earlier statement.

Akeem Clarke, 22, of the 7600 block of South Essex Avenue in South Shore, and Martel Odom, 23, of the 0-100 block of East 69th Street in Grand Crossing, were charged with murder, robbery and carjacking, police said.

This^ article gives more detail about what happened that night.

Oh, and...
Larry Merritt, a spokesman for the Independent Police Review Authority, said previously that the case was under investigation. He could not verify what object Chatmen was allegedly holding.

That's very innovative - cop shoots someone in an unjustified manner and charges a civilian with that murder. Good one. Can't see it catching on though. Jmo.

Judge agrees to release video

federal judge in Chicago on Thursday ordered the release of video footage that shows police fatally shooting an unarmed black teenager.

U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman called the city “irresponsible” for fighting to keep the video under wraps for so long. “I went to a lot of trouble to decide this issue, and then I get this motion last night saying that ‘this is the age of enlightenment with the city and we’re going to be transparent’,” Gettleman said.

After months of opposing the release of the video in the 2013 shooting death of 17-year-old Cedrick Chatman, city officials on Wednesday did an abrupt about-face, asking the judge to rescind a protective order and make public the video, which shows a white officer fatally shooting the teenager as he fled from police in Chicago’s South Shore neighborhood. Chatman had been suspected of car theft.

I expect the video/s will show up soon online and on TV. CNN was just talking about it.

CNN just played a video but, I really couldn't see exactly what was being talked about. I think there are two other videos.

I just watched it too and it is hard to tell. To me it looks like he jumps out of the car, two officers chase after him and one of them shoots him. There's an officer shown who clearly has his gun raised and pointed but the other officer is hidden in the shadows. That's who I think shoots him.

Chatman was on the move. I can't say for sure, obviously, but I think he was trying to get away, and it's unlikely he'd turn around unless it was to surrender.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait so why were the others charged with murder? Whose murder are they charged with? Chatman's? I'm so lost on this one!

Wait so why were the others charged with murder? Whose murder are they charged with? Chatman's? I'm so lost on this one!

I am too.

Chatman got in the car and drove away while Odom and Clarke stayed in the area, Samp said.

But they were charged with murder... ?

Fry's history:

IPRA found Fry justified in the shooting; he remains on the force. He has had 30 complaints lodged against him over the years, including 10 allegations of excessive use of force. The police department found every complaint against Fry to be unwarranted.

In one case in 2007, Fry and his partner shot a 16-year-old black male in a school alcove after seeing a shiny object around his waist and fearing for their lives. The object wasn't a weapon, but a "shiny belt buckle," according to the IPRA report from the time. The shooting was deemed justifiable, but CNN has learned the city settled with the teen and his family for $99,000. There was no admission of guilt as part of the settlement.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/08/us/chicago-police-shooting-cedrick-chatman-review/

Imo, it would be heartbreaking if someone added up all the settlements for US LE misconduct in the last 2 or 3 decades. Imagine Detroit having funds available to them in the last few years? What nice schools there would be in every city. Mental health needs met for everyone that required it. More shelters, more food banks. The list is endless imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back