1168 users online (199 members and 969 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 107
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    The Carolinas
    Posts
    369

    The Tube of Blood

    I just finished Episode 4 and kinda skimmed these threads before jumping in to comment on something that bugged me, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. At the end of Episode 4, Avery's attorneys are looking through the evidence box and find a tube of blood. They get all excited because there's a needle-sized hole in the rubber stopper of the tube. One of the lawyers even says that he spoke with someone at LabCorp who said they don't do that. I work for LabCorp, drawing blood, and have for many years. I can tell you that this is untrue. The way the blood gets into the tube in the first place is that the needle is double-ended, but the bottom end is covered with a plastic hub. The top end of the needle punctures the skin, then when the tube is popped in, the bottom part punctures the rubber top of the tube. So any tube with blood in it should have a hole like that in the top.



    Sorry, I just had to say something because that was bothering me! Lol. Back to watching...
    MOO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SK, Canada
    Posts
    3,950
    thanks SweetCaroline! I didn't think it was that out of the ordinary either. Hubby has to go for blood work today.... think I might have to go with him LOL

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,962
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I just finished Episode 4 and kinda skimmed these threads before jumping in to comment on something that bugged me, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. At the end of Episode 4, Avery's attorneys are looking through the evidence box and find a tube of blood. They get all excited because there's a needle-sized hole in the rubber stopper of the tube. One of the lawyers even says that he spoke with someone at LabCorp who said they don't do that. I work for LabCorp, drawing blood, and have for many years. I can tell you that this is untrue. The way the blood gets into the tube in the first place is that the needle is double-ended, but the bottom end is covered with a plastic hub. The top end of the needle punctures the skin, then when the tube is popped in, the bottom part punctures the rubber top of the tube. So any tube with blood in it should have a hole like that in the top.



    Sorry, I just had to say something because that was bothering me! Lol. Back to watching...
    This is true ^^^^^ And, then, there is the little detail about the preservative in the blood and how it looks after so many years compared to the fresh blood that was found in the vehicle. I would say that for me, this is the most compelling piece of evidence that points to his guilt.
    My book, More Than Just A Pretty Face, about the unidentified photos of Rodney Alcala, will be published in 2017. Please visit and join my Facebook group to get all of the most recent information.





    https://www.facebook.com/groups/621913531276073/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I just finished Episode 4 and kinda skimmed these threads before jumping in to comment on something that bugged me, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. At the end of Episode 4, Avery's attorneys are looking through the evidence box and find a tube of blood. They get all excited because there's a needle-sized hole in the rubber stopper of the tube. One of the lawyers even says that he spoke with someone at LabCorp who said they don't do that. I work for LabCorp, drawing blood, and have for many years. I can tell you that this is untrue. The way the blood gets into the tube in the first place is that the needle is double-ended, but the bottom end is covered with a plastic hub. The top end of the needle punctures the skin, then when the tube is popped in, the bottom part punctures the rubber top of the tube. So any tube with blood in it should have a hole like that in the top.



    Sorry, I just had to say something because that was bothering me! Lol. Back to watching...


    For me, it wasn't so much the hole in the vial that drew my suspicion, as it was that the BOX had obviously been tampered with. There is suposed to be a chain of custody where if someone had legitimate reasons for opening it, they would have had to use official LE procedures to seal it back up again (time, date, etc...) instead of just slapping a piece of scotch tape over it and calling it a day.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiddie View Post
    For me, it wasn't so much the hole in the vial that drew my suspicion, as it was that the BOX had obviously been tampered with. There is suposed to be a chain of custody where if someone had legitimate reasons for opening it, they would have had to use official LE procedures to seal it back up again (time, date, etc...) instead of just slapping a piece of scotch tape over it and calling it a day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I just finished Episode 4 and kinda skimmed these threads before jumping in to comment on something that bugged me, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. At the end of Episode 4, Avery's attorneys are looking through the evidence box and find a tube of blood. They get all excited because there's a needle-sized hole in the rubber stopper of the tube. One of the lawyers even says that he spoke with someone at LabCorp who said they don't do that. I work for LabCorp, drawing blood, and have for many years. I can tell you that this is untrue. The way the blood gets into the tube in the first place is that the needle is double-ended, but the bottom end is covered with a plastic hub. The top end of the needle punctures the skin, then when the tube is popped in, the bottom part punctures the rubber top of the tube. So any tube with blood in it should have a hole like that in the top.



    Sorry, I just had to say something because that was bothering me! Lol. Back to watching...
    Yes, this is one of the main reasons I said that I felt manipulated. Because how is it reasonable for the documentary crew to spend all the time explaining this aspect as being evidence of a plant, then.... not explain how it was impossible to get blood in the tube without that hole.

    Surely they can see that leaving that out has an emotional impact on people accepting a plant was possible -- even Strang was as elated as we ever seen him in the documentary.

    So, if anyone has a chance to chat with those documentary people about how they felt they were fair and not manipulative, that's the one that should be brought up straightaway. That was one of the first things I researched and it gave me a bad feeling to know I had drank that kool-aid.

    Yes, possibly tampering on the box etc. I get it. But the needle hole was a big deal in my mind, until I researched it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiddie View Post
    For me, it wasn't so much the hole in the vial that drew my suspicion, as it was that the BOX had obviously been tampered with. There is suposed to be a chain of custody where if someone had legitimate reasons for opening it, they would have had to use official LE procedures to seal it back up again (time, date, etc...) instead of just slapping a piece of scotch tape over it and calling it a day.

    Honestly, my take on the box appearing to be tampered with, is that everyone is human. Sure it's suspicious, but if they opened that box and there was no tube with a hole in the top, would it have had the same effect ? naw.


    To be fair, you gotta go through that evidence room and look at if anything else could look as if it was tampered with, and get an idea of how common that might be and consider if someone being careless at their job is nefarious.

    Clearly Strang was more elated by the hole than the box having evidence consistent with tampering. I understand why!

    But once a jury hears that there is no way that blood gets in the tube without the hole, now the box part can be sold as human error of a clerk. Which, if we are honest, is indeed plausible. My bet is that in trial, they didn't even mention the hole as being suspicious, because the jury would feel the same letdown as I did -- and then be less likely to believe them about the box tampering.

    maybe they did present the hole to jury as they did to us ? trial transcripts will reveal that. Then that might shed light on why jury didn't take the tampering as seriously after feeling that letdown.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    I just finished Episode 4 and kinda skimmed these threads before jumping in to comment on something that bugged me, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. At the end of Episode 4, Avery's attorneys are looking through the evidence box and find a tube of blood. They get all excited because there's a needle-sized hole in the rubber stopper of the tube. One of the lawyers even says that he spoke with someone at LabCorp who said they don't do that. I work for LabCorp, drawing blood, and have for many years. I can tell you that this is untrue. The way the blood gets into the tube in the first place is that the needle is double-ended, but the bottom end is covered with a plastic hub. The top end of the needle punctures the skin, then when the tube is popped in, the bottom part punctures the rubber top of the tube. So any tube with blood in it should have a hole like that in the top.



    Sorry, I just had to say something because that was bothering me! Lol. Back to watching...
    The blood is drawn into a vacuum tube and then capped. It is not kept in a syringe like you have a photo of here. You don't put a cap on the tube and then poke a a needle thru it to put the blood in. The defense asked about the process and were told there should never be a hole in the cap. Why put a cap on it to protect it from contamination or evaparation and puncture it? That makes no sense.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,677
    The vacuum tube (blood tube) already has the cap on it, that is the way it comes. Then you stick the tube up into the plastic holder with the smaller needle inside and the vacuum helps the blood flow into the tube. You can take the rubber top off but then you loose the vacuum. This method allows the person drawing the blood to change tubes for different tests without moving the needle that is in the patients arm. If someone wanted to take blood from this tube without making an extra hole they could just go into the same hole. Which to me did look a little big, like it had been re-punctured. Also the blood did look in good shape when they showed the tube. It was nice and red and very liquid.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by colette View Post
    The vacuum tube (blood tube) already has the cap on it, that is the way it comes. Then you stick the tube up into the plastic holder with the smaller needle inside and the vacuum helps the blood flow into the tube. You can take the rubber top off but then you loose the vacuum. This method allows the person drawing the blood to change tubes for different tests without moving the needle that is in the patients arm. If someone wanted to take blood from this tube without making an extra hole they could just go into the same hole. Which to me did look a little big, like it had been re-punctured. Also the blood did look in good shape when they showed the tube. It was nice and red and very liquid.
    So you agree the presence of the hole means nothing. It looking a "little big" is an observation, is there is any way to tell if it had been re-punctured ? I would suppose not, or we'd have heard that.


    But interested more in what you say about the blood -- it looks in good shape. What might you glean from that ? in terms of whether it was used to plant blood evidence or not ?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    888
    Ok I understand that description. The cap was lavender which I searched and is used for EDTA tubes. In the documentary the defense stated the asked about the process and was told there should never be a hole in the cap. I would think a cap without a hole would be used for storage. I will try to google that one. But now I understand why everyone is more troubled about the broken seals on the box. Thanks!

    Thanks colette and SweetCaroline for getting this thru my thick skull.lol

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxManning View Post
    Yes, this is one of the main reasons I said that I felt manipulated. Because how is it reasonable for the documentary crew to spend all the time explaining this aspect as being evidence of a plant, then.... not explain how it was impossible to get blood in the tube without that hole.

    Surely they can see that leaving that out has an emotional impact on people accepting a plant was possible -- even Strang was as elated as we ever seen him in the documentary.

    So, if anyone has a chance to chat with those documentary people about how they felt they were fair and not manipulative, that's the one that should be brought up straightaway. That was one of the first things I researched and it gave me a bad feeling to know I had drank that kool-aid.

    Yes, possibly tampering on the box etc. I get it. But the needle hole was a big deal in my mind, until I researched it.

    I'm Curious What is the difference between the two toppers? For long time storing would they use the same stopper that they used to get the blood in there. Seems one is for retrieving blood to get in the vial the first one. and the second is to long time store it air tight. So again what is the difference between the two toppers? Would they really store a blood tube container with a hole in the top for 10 years?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    888
    What got my son and I was when LE told SA they had his blood and he said you've taken so much I am surprised I have any left. Could recent blood he had drawn have been used to tamper with evidence? This documentary makes me question everything about this case.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticJynx View Post
    I'm Curious What is the difference between the two toppers? For long time storing would they use the same stopper that they used to get the blood in there. Seems one is for retrieving blood to get in the vial the first one. and the second is to long time store it air tight. So again what is the difference between the two toppers? Would they really store a blood tube container with a hole in the top for 10 years?
    Now we can go back and see if we can identify which one it was!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by SoBeCzar View Post
    What got my son and I was when LE told SA they had his blood and he said you've taken so much I am surprised I have any left. Could recent blood he had drawn have been used to tamper with evidence? This documentary makes me question everything about this case.
    That was a really weird comment to me too. We only saw one vial, how much of his blood was taken over the years?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. 16 year old girl raped-you tube
    By Airbubble in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 01:16 AM