1360 users online (264 members and 1096 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Brendan Dassy: Guilty of Teresa Halbach rape, torture, and murder?

Voters
326. You may not vote on this poll
  • He was an accomplice

32 9.82%
  • He assisted in covering up the crime

21 6.44%
  • He didn't help but may have seen something

24 7.36%
  • Probably not guilty, his confession was coerced

99 30.37%
  • Not guilty, full stop, his conviction should be vacated

120 36.81%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

47 14.42%
  • Undecided all around, more information needed

19 5.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpingHeart View Post
    Boodles - do please give us those examples of what he knew without being there?

His original innocent statement is the one that never wavered. I believe that one. It was not implied by the police for him to just make him agree to ideas/questions they had thrown at him. He got off the bus, checked the mail, played video games, someone called, his brother went trick or treating, his mom got home. Steven and Brendan would not have had time from 3:30-5pm to do anything. He was so confused thinking he was going back to school and going to watch wrestling too.
    You know I read the transcripts and watched the videos about 3 weeks ago (disturbing!). I didn't take notes, and I'm not up for reviewing them again. But it's the totality of all the circumstances, statements, etc., which implicate Brendan. Off the top of my head, having details of the bonfire, having told his cousin (Kayla I recall, but another one, too IIRC), knowing about leg cuffs, rope, etc, knowing that SA was under the hood, remembering that his mom called asking if he was wearing a sweater, who remembers minutia like that when they're pulling fiction out of their butt?

I think the attorneys' investigator was out of line, but I don't think the cops were. IMO, Brandon was trying to walk the line between having actual guilty knowledge while at the same time, trying to somehow kowtow to the pressures of certain family members telling him not to reveal things. That made Brendan a mess of a witness due to his constantly changing his responses and not knowing which tact to take at various points in the interview/interrogation. Is he reliable? No. But does he have too much detail to be uninvolved? IMO, yes.

It's fine that you disagree! And I won't be bothered if he has a new trial, but ultimately, I believe he's involved and is where he needs to be. There's an ounce of truth in every lie, and the cumulative amount of incriminating info in Brendan's tales amounts to guilty knowledge IMO.

I stop in to these threads from time to time, but have pretty much moved on as my interest in this case has dwindled after reading the xscripts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Boodles View Post
    You know I read the transcripts and watched the videos about 3 weeks ago (disturbing!). I didn't take notes, and I'm not up for reviewing them again. But it's the totality of all the circumstances, statements, etc., which implicate Brendan. Off the top of my head, having details of the bonfire, having told his cousin (Kayla I recall, but another one, too IIRC), knowing about leg cuffs, rope, etc, knowing that SA was under the hood, remembering that his mom called asking if he was wearing a sweater, who remembers minutia like that when they're pulling fiction out of their butt?

I think the attorneys' investigator was out of line, but I don't think the cops were. IMO, Brandon was trying to walk the line between having actual guilty knowledge while at the same time, trying to somehow kowtow to the pressures of certain family members telling him not to reveal things. That made Brendan a mess of a witness due to his constantly changing his responses and not knowing which tact to take at various points in the interview/interrogation. Is he reliable? No. But does he have too much detail to be uninvolved? IMO, yes.

It's fine that you disagree! And I won't be bothered if he has a new trial, but ultimately, I believe he's involved and is where he needs to be. There's an ounce of truth in every lie, and the cumulative amount of incriminating info in Brendan's tales amounts to guilty knowledge IMO.

I stop in to these threads from time to time, but have pretty much moved on as my interest in this case has dwindled after reading the xscripts, etc.
    The totality of all the circumstances? Kayla was the only cousin who said Brendan was involved. She's since admitted she lied and that can be backed up with very simple facts. She said he lost forty pounds. Ummm, there are pictures of him witching days of Halbach going missing and his arrest. He was the exact same size. She ASKED if blood could seep up through concrete. There's zero indication Halbach was ever under concrete for her blood to seep up through.

Knowing about leg cuffs and ropes? Can you point me in any direction that verifies ropes and leg cuffs were even used in the crime? Dassey may have said it but there is zero proof either were used. There's actually more proof these things weren't an element of the crime. These things were tested and had no Halbach DNA on them. And you should read/view the interrogation when it comes to the hood being lifted. Dassey had no clue what they wanted to hear. THEY told him "Something about the hood... Can you tell us why he opened the hood? What was he doing under the hood?" Dassey never said Avery opened the hood. The investigators told him Avery did.

There's not a single indication this boy witnessed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KayCerynPage1990 View Post
    I believe Dassey is completely innocent but perhaps he might have seen something (I do wonder if someone else committed the crime and Dassey saw that and not what he said).

His "confession" is remarkably similar to that of the West Memphis Three and that was later reasonably proven to be coerced and untrue.

I feel terrible for Dassey, he is a victim in this.
    What about his brother Bobby?
    He was there that day also he said he watche'd her
    From the window .

If you believe Brendan in the 5/13/06 interrogation, TH would have been tied up in SA's trailer from around 3 - 8:30 PM as according to BD, she was alive when taken to the garage around 8:30 or so. After 8:30 she was stabbed, shot 5 times and no one at the Dasseys heard anything. BD also said that the knife used to murder TH was put under the seat in the RAV4, but no blood/knife was ever found that I am aware of. He also said that SA took the RAV4 out to the pit and stashed it after he went home to bed. BD said he went home around 10 and talked to his mom ( with bleach/blood ) on his pants/shoes before he went to bed. Something ain't right here ...

DEFENDANT IS A LIAR + DEFENDANT'S KID GOES MISSING + DEFENDANT REPORTS KID MISSING AFTER 31 DAYS + KID IS FOUND DEAD = DEFENDANT KILLED KID

Quote Originally Posted by Sustained View Post
    If you believe Brendan in the 5/13/06 interrogation, TH would have been tied up in SA's trailer from around 3 - 8:30 PM as according to BD, she was alive when taken to the garage around 8:30 or so. After 8:30 she was stabbed, shot 5 times and no one at the Dasseys heard anything. BD also said that the knife used to murder TH was put under the seat in the RAV4, but no blood/knife was ever found that I am aware of. He also said that SA took the RAV4 out to the pit and stashed it after he went home to bed. BD said he went home around 10 and talked to his mom ( with bleach/blood ) on his pants/shoes before he went to bed. Something ain't right here ...
    I thought the death of TH happened somewhere between 4pm and 5:30pm and the "get rid of/burn the body, clean the garage" time frame was somewhere around 6pm-ish and on. Then again the timeline has been confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    I thought the death of TH happened somewhere between 4pm and 5:30pm and the "get rid of/burn the body, clean the garage" time frame was somewhere around 6pm-ish and on. Then again the timeline has been confusing.
    Have a listen to the 5/13/06 interrogation when BD supposedly wanted to talk to Wiegart and Fassbender. BD said there was a clock in SA's bedroom at the time he was allegedly raping TH and when they moved her to the garage. All of his statements have been contradictory, so I
    really don't know what to believe.

DEFENDANT IS A LIAR + DEFENDANT'S KID GOES MISSING + DEFENDANT REPORTS KID MISSING AFTER 31 DAYS + KID IS FOUND DEAD = DEFENDANT KILLED KID

Quote Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
    What say you?
    I voted probably not guilty, his confession was coerced.

I think he saw something and maybe did help clean up, but it obviously didn't happen like he first said it did- I don't believe Teresa was ever in the trailer, let alone tied up and stabbed there. I think he was telling the truth when he said he drew that picture of her tied up from memory of a picture he saw in the Kiss the Girls book.

I feel sorry for him, he didn't get any help from anyone and was railroaded.

I don't see that there can be any doubt about the confession being coerced.
    Absolutely appalling treatment and I'm gobsmacked that a child his age and with his IQ could have been interviewed without a parent or guardian present.

However, I also had to put a vote in for "assisted in covering up the crime".
    IMHO there's sufficient evidence to support the belief that there was a clean-up in the garage that night - BD's (admittedly inconsistent) statements, the call with his mother where he talks about helping SA clean up the garage, the bleach stains on his jeans and the luminol results showing a large bleached patch on the garage floor.

What I'm not sure about is what exactly was cleaned up.
    The possibilities that come to mind are :

1. The clean up was totally unrelated to the crime and SA really is the unluckiest man alive to have picked that night to spruce up the garage along with all the other coincidences.
    2. The version of events in BD's confession is true and it really did happen as he said it did. (Given that other evidence just doesn't fit with that narrative, I also find that particular version of events very hard to believe.)
    3. BD was involved in the crime and something relating to it (but not as described in his confession) took place in the garage that required a clean up.
    4. Something related to the crime (but not as described in BD's confession) took place in the garage, requiring a clean up. BD is ignorant of what actually occurred and helped his uncle clean up in all innocence.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Absolutely appalling treatment and I'm gobsmacked that a child his age and with his IQ could have been interviewed without a parent or guardian present.

IMHO there's sufficient evidence to support the belief that there was a clean-up in the garage that night - BD's (admittedly inconsistent) statements, the call with his mother where he talks about helping SA clean up the garage, the bleach stains on his jeans and the luminol results showing a large bleached patch on the garage floor.

1. The clean up was totally unrelated to the crime and SA really is the unluckiest man alive to have picked that night to spruce up the garage along with all the other coincidences.
    2. The version of events in BD's confession is true and it really did happen as he said it did. (Given that other evidence just doesn't fit with that narrative, I also find that particular version of events very hard to believe.)
    3. BD was involved in the crime and something relating to it (but not as described in his confession) took place in the garage that required a clean up.
    4. Something related to the crime (but not as described in BD's confession) took place in the garage, requiring a clean up. BD is ignorant of what actually occurred and helped his uncle clean up in all innocence.
    I don't believe this child was involved in or witnessed anything, including cleaning up blood or seeing a body in the fire after the fact. His third confession at the very end, after discussing how he and Avery did all these terrible things, the investigators asked him how he felt. Brendan's response? He's sad because he thought for three or four months Avery hadn't murdered Halbach. How could he possibly think that if he'd participating in or helped clean up a murder scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
    I don't believe this child was involved in or witnessed anything, including cleaning up blood or seeing a body in the fire after the fact. His third confession at the very end, after discussing how he and Avery did all these terrible things, the investigators asked him how he felt. Brendan's response? He's sad because he thought for three or four months Avery hadn't murdered Halbach. How could he possibly think that if he'd participating in or helped clean up a murder scene?
    could it get any worse for that kid? Thanks for listening to those Sinsaint, I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
    I really wish I could be so sure, BD's involvement (or lack of) is the one thing that really troubles me with this case.
    The one thing I'm sure of is that the version of events presented in his confessions makes little or no sense and I'm at a loss as to how he could have been convicted on that basis.
    I do believe that there was a clean up in the garage that evening though, and FWIW I tend to lean towards the clean up being of something else rather than blood and/or BD having no idea of what he was actually helping with.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by fruity View Post
    I personally believe that a significant amount of doubt was introduced for both suspects - more than enough to satisfy legal 'reasonable doubt'.

But I am much more concerned with the treatment of two people who have a documented IQ of 70. even though they are both on the higher end, it is still a significant factor IMO. Surely the US legal system has safeguards to protect the legal rights of people with intellectual disabilities? Why weren't these safeguards in place for this case? It is well known that legal procedures need to be adapted to ensure a fair trial for people with intellectual disabilities. The real life functioning of these two people (who clearly show signs of maladaptive behaviour) is an issue which is separate to their guilt or lack of guilt, but the fact that it doesn't seem to have been a factor in this case is troublesome from a legal perspective.
    I so much agree with you but also feel the reason more people did not "thank you" for your reply is for the simple fact they have not raised or are close to children that have that kind of iq. Most with low iqs that I personally know of do not automatically think to disbelieve what another says. That includes believing children or adults but when the other person is an adult they will not push the issue as they have found through out their life, adults usually know better than them. It is an innocence and gullibility and reliance on authority combination. Most adults in their life are good to them with beneficial direction in their lives. The police were authority figures that took advantage of this situation. Even Brendans' mother did not understand when he tried to explain what was happening to him. It really got me when both of them did not know what inconsistent meant. Brendan was trying to understand and even his own mother could not help him.

I have a lot of trouble believing the confession was not coerced, as it really does appear to me than BD is looking for the 'correct' answer to give the investigators. (I'm paraphrasing but it was like, Investigators: "What did you do to her head?" BD: "We slit her throat" Investigators: "What else?" BD: "We cut her hair" Investigators: "What about shooting her in the head? Did you do that?" BD: "Yes")

Regardless of whether he did commit the crime or did not, whether or not the confession was coerced or not, there is not enough evidence to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that he was involved and he deserves a new trial, and that's not even taking into account his previous counsel.

I voted for Probably not guilty, his confession was coerced and Not guilty, full stop, his conviction should be vacated

Quote Originally Posted by SoBeCzar View Post
    I so much agree with you but also feel the reason more people did not "thank you" for your reply is for the simple fact they have not raised or are close to children that have that kind of iq. Most with low iqs that I personally know of do not automatically think to disbelieve what another says. That includes believing children or adults but when the other person is an adult they will not push the issue as they have found through out their life, adults usually know better than them. It is an innocence and gullibility and reliance on authority combination. Most adults in their life are good to them with beneficial direction in their lives. The police were authority figures that took advantage of this situation. Even Brendans' mother did not understand when he tried to explain what was happening to him. It really got me when both of them did not know what inconsistent meant. Brendan was trying to understand and even his own mother could not help him.
    And at the trial when he did not understand the difference between yards and feet. That, and the "inconsistent" part made me realise how young he really is in his mind and doesn't understand the gravity of it all.

IMO,

What happened with Brendan, is just further confirmation in my mind, at the lengths these men would go to, to CRUSH Steve's alibi.

They were going to CONVICT SA at ALL costs.

BD was insurance.

Pathetic, IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast