1249 users online (282 members and 967 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pumpkin Hollow
    Posts
    28,612

    France - One brain dead, 5 in hospital as drug trial "goes horribly wrong"

    Gawker:

    One Person Brain Dead and Five Hospitalized
    in French Drug Trial Gone Horribly Wrong


    The story at the link with comments posted beneath.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pumpkin Hollow
    Posts
    28,612

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    4,982
    That sounds like my kind of drug, where do I sign up?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,254
    I wonder what the deal is. Respiratory depression?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    upstate ny
    Posts
    164
    In less than a week, 1 person is dead, 5 more seriously ill, and 85 more face potential devastation.

    Because new pharmaceuticals are so much better for pain than time-immortal proven "drugs" like cannabis and simple opioids.

    I'm all for government oversight and control but too many people are suffering due to insufficient or nonexistent pain control. Believe me, I know.

    Government & media propaganda, good & compassionate doctors afraid of sanctions, pharmaceutical lobbyists..

    ugh

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16,561
    I saw somewhere this is basically bath salts...
    I think a news search would show those unsafe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,296
    Bath salts??? Why would any pharmaceutical company be testing bath salts?

    Some articles said it is a cannabis based pain med, but that has been denied. It isn't anything opioid based because they are saying there is no antidote for it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    152
    Bath salts is the common name for yet another street drug that's making inroads with young people.

    The experimental drug is designed to stimulate the same neurological receptors as cannabis, but it does not contain any cannabis. Stage I and II drug trials can be very tricky, as one of the questions to be answered is what would the effective dose be if it does, indeed, work. Volunteers in drug trials are told this going in -- but very few imagine this sort of outcome, because this outcome is quite rare.

    Despite the use of cannabis for pain and nausea reduction, especially in cancer patients, there are many pain medications, both opioids and non-opioids, that have changed millions of lives for the better. (Unfortunately the opposite is also true, in the case of addiction.) Proper treatment for pain through the use of meds is falling by the wayside in the U.S. as ethical and compassionate doctors are more and more reluctant to prescribe given the hoops the government makes them jump through and the risk of losing their medical license.

    I'm a nurse myself who for years worked in pain management (surgical); I have also had 4 spinal fusion procedures and am now disabled due to my crummy spine. I don't take any opioids by choice, but I doubt even I could get any prescription without going to a pain management clinic every month to get a paper script, and we can't afford either the visits (at specialist rates) or the meds themselves.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    Quote Originally Posted by pappa rob View Post
    That sounds like my kind of drug, where do I sign up?
    Nowhere now. Somehow I don't think this drug is going to be approved any time soon. By the way brain dead is dead. So one person (previously healthy) died after being subjected to this drug.
    Just my opinion

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    Quote Originally Posted by nrdsb4 View Post
    I wonder what the deal is. Respiratory depression?
    Victims got brain damage. One is brain dead (same as dead). Apparently they were given repeated doses of this drug.
    Just my opinion


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    I saw somewhere this is basically bath salts...
    I think a news search would show those unsafe.
    Whoever is claiming this is bath salts doesn't seem to have a clue what they are talking about. This drug is an inhibitor of an enzyme called FAAH, not bath salts.

    "Meanwhile, the Portuguese pharmaceutical company that sponsored the trial, Bial, confirmed in a statement issued last night that the drug tested in the study was an inhibitor of fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH), an enzyme that breaks down so-called endocannabinoids in the brain. FAAH inhibitors have been proposed as a possible treatment against chronic pain."
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/...nch-drug-trial
    Just my opinion

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SE MITTEN STATE
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by silverkitty View Post
    Bath salts is the common name for yet another street drug that's making inroads with young people.

    The experimental drug is designed to stimulate the same neurological receptors as cannabis, but it does not contain any cannabis. Stage I and II drug trials can be very tricky, as one of the questions to be answered is what would the effective dose be if it does, indeed, work. Volunteers in drug trials are told this going in -- but very few imagine this sort of outcome, because this outcome is quite rare.

    Despite the use of cannabis for pain and nausea reduction, especially in cancer patients, there are many pain medications, both opioids and non-opioids, that have changed millions of lives for the better. (Unfortunately the opposite is also true, in the case of addiction.) Proper treatment for pain through the use of meds is falling by the wayside in the U.S. as ethical and compassionate doctors are more and more reluctant to prescribe given the hoops the government makes them jump through and the risk of losing their medical license.

    I'm a nurse myself who for years worked in pain management (surgical); I have also had 4 spinal fusion procedures and am now disabled due to my crummy spine. I don't take any opioids by choice, but I doubt even I could get any prescription without going to a pain management clinic every month to get a paper script, and we can't afford either the visits (at specialist rates) or the meds themselves.

    This is kinda O/T I have fibromyagia and arthritis. My pain pills barely touch the pain, Norco. If I could afford it I would get a medical weed card. We have a medical marijauna care giver in the family. I have to pick a hard copy of script up every month too. Thanks druggo's


    ETA: I hope the surviving 5 come through this fine!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisha View Post
    This is kinda O/T I have fibromyagia and arthritis. My pain pills barely touch the pain, Norco. If I could afford it I would get a medical weed card. We have a medical marijauna care giver in the family. I have to pick a hard copy of script up every month too. Thanks druggo's


    ETA: I hope the surviving 5 come through this fine!
    They think at least 3 of the surviving five patients might have irreversible brain damage.

    From the link I posted the company apparently expected other possible uses from the drug (treatment of MS, parkinson's, obesity).

    Still hart do understand how it could happen, considering the drug was previously tested on animals. Didn't animals suffer any adverse effect?
    Just my opinion

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    4,726
    This is terrible, I hope some of these guys pull through ok. A similar thing happened here in England 10 years ago but while nobody died the victims face a lifetime of ill health (look up TGN1412 trial).

    When I was a student there was a drug trial clinic nearby. I signed up and did a couple of deodorant / cosmetic tests but drew the line at brain tumour drug tests and anything neurological. My boyfriend was offered 10k to have his big toe cut off and reattached. We debated it but declined as there was no guarantee he'd walk again. The cash would have been very useful though!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    "French prosecutors have launched a manslaughter investigation into the unusual case, which shined a spotlight on the practice of testing drugs on paid, healthy human volunteers. Scores of others were also given the drug."

    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016...rial.html?_r=0
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM
  2. PA~Brain-damaged man, Richard Roth says "regular porn was getting old"
    By Missizzy in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 08:12 AM
  3. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:11 AM
  4. "General Hospital" Star Dead at 49
    By kato in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 02:36 PM