LA - Joshua Woodruff, 28, hit and run, New Orleans 1 January 2016

From moonriverfarm's link:

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/loc...estrian-dies-near-degaulle-exit-ccc/78170532/

Joshua Woodruff, 28, died from blunt force trauma SNIP Woodruff was from Omaha, Neb., a recent graduate [2011] from Harvard University, and was in New Orleans to celebrate the New Year SNIP

According to witnesses, the vehicle was seen hitting Woodruff on Decatur at Dumaine Street, and then turning onto Madison Street and traveling against traffic to Chartres Street. The sedan was seen turning right on Chartres eastbound from Madison St, and then turning back onto Chartres Street.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...in-new-orleans-police-say-20160105-story.html

A Los Angeles-based executive died after he was apparently hit by a vehicle in New Orleans' French Quarter and dragged more than 6 miles.

Police told the New Orleans Advocate that he was trying to hail an Uber vehicle when he was struck by the [black] sedan.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2016/01/new_years_hit_and_run_new_orle.html

His mother, Caren Woodruff, said he texted these words before his death: “I just want you to know how thankful I am for you.”

--------------------------

I'll go out on a limb and say the hit and run driver is local. Few tourists know how to get out of the French Quarter and make it to the West Bank via the CCC (Crescent City Causeway).
I cannot imagine hitting someone then dragging their body for 6 miles under my vehicle and remembering that I was a killer for the rest of my entire life. Oh, the extreme horror of this crime is mind-blowing.

My sincere condolences to Joshua Woodruff's dear family and loved ones. :rose:

Agreed. Trying to navigate the Quarter is tough enough in the daytime but on NYE would be even more daunting. then knowing how to get to Gretna from there , again, points to a local. This is horrible.

Still no word on the driver of the car. Reward set at $10,000. Somebody knows something.

Local, agree 100%. As a child of the French Quarter, no one but locals could conceive of that maze AND get to Gretna. Jefferson parish police should be looking for the sedan & NOPD looking at all CCTV from that night. What a horror!!

May you rest in peace, young man.

I think the problem with CCTV is the quality of the photos they have grabbed, and the darkness. I am still just sick thinking the guy was dragged for six miles. From what I have read, the body parts helped mark the route. It is horrible.

It may have been in the link I posted earlier but I did read that pedestrians ran after the car while screaming. It's not like they just stood there with their hands in their pockets. I hope.
The young man had called for an Uber. He was standing off the curb and in the crosswalk when the incident occurred. It's a law to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Local, agree 100%. As a child of the French Quarter, no one but locals could conceive of that maze AND get to Gretna. Jefferson parish police should be looking for the sedan & NOPD looking at all CCTV from that night. What a horror!!

May you rest in peace, young man.
Yes, across the bridge, no less. This tragedy has upset me so deeply that this is the first time I've opened this thread. I've avoided the news reports, too. I do think the driver will be found soon, fwiw.

So many questions remain. How fast could this black car have been going to hit this man - in the Quarter on New Year's Eve in the traffic on those congested streets? And have witnesses been able to ID the driver and the actual make and model of the car? This is horrendous beyond comprehension.

Haven't been able to locate any updates. Sure hope the LEO are still looking for the driver.

Rip Joshua

By Jed Lipinski, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
October 25, 2016 at 1:26 PM, updated October 27, 2016 at 10:17 AM

'Who killed him?' family of French Quarter hit-and-run victim asks on new billboard

The family of Josh Woodruff, the 28-year-old who was struck and killed by a car in the French Quarter on New Year's day, has posted a billboard near downtown New Orleans offering a $15,000 reward for anyone with information that leads to an arrest. [....]

In the hours before his death, Woodruff sent a text message to friends and family expressing his love for them and how much he'd enjoyed a recent trip to Omaha for the Christmas holiday. A bystander at the scene of the accident later recovered the phone and used it to contact a friend with whom Woodruff had celebrated the New Year. The friend contacted Woodruff's brother, Benjamin Woodruff, who began piecing together what had happened.

josh-woodruffjpeg-7e5621a086bd0d9b.jpeg

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/10/new_years_hit-and-run.html

Absolutely heartbreaking. Justice For Joshua

1 year later, still no arrest in hit-and-run death of Josh Woodruff

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/34143415/1-year-later-still-no-arrest-in-hit-and-run-death-of-josh-woodruff

Almost a year has gone by since a tourist was killed in a hit and run and his body dragged for miles from the French Quarter to the West Bank.

Now, a year later, Josh Woodruff's family says they will never stop fighting to find his killer.

"There is a killer out there. There is somebody who killed our son," said the victim's mother, Caren Woodruff.

"We can tell you we have been stymied in our efforts to get specific things accomplished, and those that have gotten accomplished seem to have only happened because we pushed and then still seem to take a long time - longer than independent advisers that we have suggest is normal," said the victim's father, Mark Woodruff.

We reached out to the NOPD about that. They tell us they have an open line of communication with the family and they're working hard to solve the case and to bring the Woodruffs some closure.

They now have a sketch of a person of interest:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_f4d26392-e1b4-11e6-ab15-d7ccef596857.html

Police ask that anyone with information regarding the incident contact Traffic Fatality Investigator Anthony Pontiff at (504) 658-6237 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Josh was a friend of a friend of mine. Nothing can bring him back but I'm praying for justice and some kind of closure for the family.

It may have been in the link I posted earlier but I did read that pedestrians ran after the car while screaming. It's not like they just stood there with their hands in their pockets. I hope.
The young man had called for an Uber. He was standing off the curb and in the crosswalk when the incident occurred. It's a law to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.

A law no one in New Orleans follows, if we're being honest. But what happened to this young man was just above and beyond gruesome. I'm amazed no one was sober enough to see their license plates, but I'm glad they now have a composite sketch of what this person looks like

I cannot believe this hasn't been solved!! There are cameras everywhere. Especially in the quarter! I'm so angry about this case. I can imagine the disgust his family feels!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

My French grandparents are from New Orleans. I adore the city yet don't venture into the French Quarter these days. The case just breaks my heart. This young man held so much potential and filled with love and appreciation for others.

The sheer terror of driving a vehicle knowing someone is being dragged along by your car must haunt this Killer every waking moment. Is today the day they will arrest me?

From Decatur in the Quarter, where Joshua was standing, and the killer's round about way of getting across to the West Bank, is a long distance. As I recall the getaway route, the driver drove the wrong way on one street so he knew. He knew.

NOPD releases images, seeks leads in 2016 hit-and-run death of tourist dragged from French Quarter

On Thursday, police released new images of the vehicle that is believed to have hit Joshua Woodruff, 28, before ejecting his body on the West Bank early on New Year’s Day 2016. They also announced that a homicide detective is now leading the investigation.

The blurry surveillance images released Thursday follow the dark-colored sedan that apparently hit Woodruff at Dumaine and Decatur streets through various streets in the French Quarter. Woodruff’s body was then carried onto Interstate 10 and across the bridge before being deposited near an exit in Algiers.

Police said they are still trying to determine the make and model of the car that hit Woodruff. The vehicle had distinctive silver window trim as well as distinctive tail lights, Barrere said.

New images released, in hopes someone can ID car in French Quarter hit-and-run

The new images that were released include perspectives of the car from many different angles. Homicide Det. Robert Barrere said the car has some "distinctive" features, and police are hoping that someone will know its make and model, or even be able to point them to the driver.

"We have yet to identify exactly what that car is, and thats the key right now," Barrere said. "I think once we ID that vehicle we can really move forward and progress the investigation."

Police have not been able to get a full license plate number for the car, and said determining its make and model would go a long way toward narrowing that information down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back