MISTRIAL MI - Prosecutor to probe Flint water crisis, Jan 2016

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Jan 15 2016, 11:44 am ET

Michigan Prosecutor Opens Probe of Flint Water Crisis

by Stephanie Gosk, Hannah Rappleye and Tracy Connor

Michigan's top prosecutor launched an investigation Friday into the Flint water crisis to see if any laws were broken — as the local sheriff declared that "people lied to us."

"In 21st century America, no one should have to fear something as basic as turning on the kitchen faucet," Attorney General Bill Schuette said in a statement.

"I look forward to working with federal, state and local officials, community leaders and Flint residents as we seek answers regarding state law and hope through the process we can help restore some of the trust in our government while helping families move forward." ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/michigan-prosecutor-opens-probe-flint-water-crisis-n497286

White House to decide soon on Flint emergency request

Chad Livengood, Detroit News Lansing Bureau 1:04 p.m. EST January 15, 2016

Lansing — Gov. Rick Snyder late Thursday asked President Barack Obama to declare a federal emergency in Flint and expedite major disaster relief in Genesee County as a result of the city’s lead-contaminated water crisis.

The governor requested federal financial aid for both individuals and state and government agencies involved in assisting Flint residents and repairing a public water pipeline infrastructure damaged by corrosive river water blamed for lead contamination...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ama-declare-federal-emergency-flint/78831312/

Aide: Snyder learned of Legionnaires outbreak this week

Chad Livengood, Detroit News Lansing Bureau 11:01 a.m. EST January 15, 2016

Lansing — Gov. Rick Snyder learned just this week of a deadly outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in Genesee County that occurred in 2014 and 2015 while Flint was drawing drinking water from the Flint River and he should have been informed months ago, his outgoing chief of staff said Friday.

“I’m sure he’s angry,” Snyder chief of staff Dennis Muchmore said after a taping of WKAR-TV’s “Off The Record.” “I’m getting used to it. ... I’m over being angry about it because it doesn’t do any good.”

“In government, all we want to do is find somebody to blame and I don’t think that serves any purpose,” Muchmore added...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...nnaires-outbreak-snyder-chief-staff/78844500/

Snyder: Return control to Flint mayor

Jonathan Oosting, The Detroit News 10:39 a.m. EST January 15, 2016

Lansing — Flint Mayor Karen Weaver needs more power to run her crisis-stricken city, Gov. Rick Snyder said Friday, backing her request to speed up a return to local control after the city emerged from financial management in late April.

Snyder is asking a state Receivership Transition Advisory Board, which continues to monitor Flint finances, to transfer to Weaver executive authority that had been reserved for the city administrator under former Emergency Manager Jerry Ambrose.

"The Flint city charter establishes a mayor-centric form of government," Snyder said in a statement. "Flint is headed by the mayor who serves as the city’s chief executive and the City Council, serving as the city’s legislative body. The city currently is in receivership, and the city administrator is responsible and accountable for the day-to-day city operations...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/15/flint-mayor-control/78843318/

Did Michigan hide facts about lead in Flint's water?

Documents reveal discrepancies in reports about amount of lead

By Dominique Dodley CNN

Posted: 5:00 AM, January 15, 2016

Michigan officials may have altered sample data to lower the city of Flint's water lead-level reports, according to official documents and a researcher who conducted extensive tests there over the last six months.

Documents and emails show discrepancies between two reports detailing the toxicity of lead samples collected by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality and the city of Flint between January and June 2015, Professor Marc Edwards from Virginia Tech University said.

Edwards is the lead researcher for the Flint Water Study, a research group that has conducted numerous tests on Flint's system and was the first to publicly identify high levels of lead in the water.

The documents and emails were released by researchers from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University through a Freedom of Information Act request and viewed by CNN...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/national/did-michigan-hide-facts-about-lead-in-flints-water

Rachel Maddow has been covering this horrific situation since before Christmas. I think the Governor was hoping no one would care and it would all just go away. She has probably had 15 reports on it (if not more). Here is one.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...ragedy-points-directly-to-snyder-597037635687

THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW 12/19/15

Flint toxic water tragedy points directly to Michigan Gov. Snyder

Rachel Maddow reports on the poisoning of Flint, Michigan residents when their water supply was switched, and shows explicitly how responsibility for the tragedy falls to Governor Rick Snyder and his radical, anti-democratic policies. Duration: 18:31

Michael Moore (from Flint) is pretty steamed about this. I got an email that took me to his site just the other day.

IMO

Monsters! Should be tried for attemped homicide

Flint mayor optimistic feds will provide emergency aid

Candice Williams, The Detroit News 10:26 p.m. EST January 15, 2016

Flint’s mayor said she is trying to be optimistic about receiving federal funding to help resolve the city’s lead-contaminated water crisis after Gov. Rick Snyder visited Friday.

“We need some finances coming here,” Mayor Karen Weaver told The Detroit News Friday evening at the North American International Auto Show Charity Preview.

Weaver said last week it could cost as much as $1.5 billion to replace aging and damaged pipes leaching lead into city water...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...1/15/fling-mayor-optimistic-fed-aid/78881674/

Rachel Maddow has been covering this horrific situation since before Christmas. I think the Governor was hoping no one would care and it would all just go away. She has probably had 15 reports on it (if not more). Here is one.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...ragedy-points-directly-to-snyder-597037635687

THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW 12/19/15

Flint toxic water tragedy points directly to Michigan Gov. Snyder

Rachel Maddow reports on the poisoning of Flint, Michigan residents when their water supply was switched, and shows explicitly how responsibility for the tragedy falls to Governor Rick Snyder and his radical, anti-democratic policies. Duration: 18:31

I didn't realize that there was national coverage of the water issues until this week. I live about an hour south of Flint and have known about the problem for some time. Thought someone local might have started a thread by now as I believe there are 'sleuthers who are closer to Flint than me. WDIV, Channel 4, Detroit has had a reporter on scene for a while. Check out www.clickondetroit.com for continuing coverage.

I didn't realize that there was national coverage of the water issues until this week. I live about an hour south of Flint and have known about the problem for some time. Thought someone local might have started a thread by now as I believe there are 'sleuthers who are closer to Flint than me. WDIV, Channel 4, Detroit has had a reporter on scene for a while. Check out www.clickondetroit.com for continuing coverage.

Snyder should be thrown out of office over this. A $1.8 B fix, now they want the feds to help pay for the massive screw-up. The state treats Flint and Detroit the same, invest no money to fix anything. I also live about an hr. south of Flint. It went downhill after GM closed the assembly plants there.

Actually, Rachel was the only 'national' person covering it, relentlessly I might add, until this past week when it was finally picked up by others.

That is one of the reasons why I like her so much. And, she has also been talking about the takeover of cities by governor appointed managers for well over a year, maybe two. Specifically I remember her talking about the city of Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Actually, Rachel was the only 'national' person covering it, relentlessly I might add, until this past week when it was finally picked up by others.

That is one of the reasons why I like her so much. And, she has also been talking about the takeover of cities by governor appointed managers for well over a year, maybe two. Specifically I remember her talking about the city of Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Definitely a fan of Maddow, and as you note, she has been covering issues involving state takeover of local governance there for some time. In Flint, I think Snyder has finally stepped in it big time. This calls for federal investigation. What appears to have just happened is the creation of an enormous injured class that will require support--possibly for generations. And unlike lead paint issues where who knew what when can be made murky, it is clear that there were several clear decision points in this case, and information minimized or ignored. Snyder needs to be imprisoned, for sure. But first he needs to resign. What do we know about the next in line folks?

Snyder's 'grand plan' state takeover of Detroit Public Schools has been a major fail, too. I suspect the rolling teacher sick-outs will inevitably end up with them striking - probably at the end of the semester later this month. The deplorable conditions in some schools are sickening :eek: No child should have to go to school in a building that has leaky ceilings, rotting floors, black mold, no heat, no water, etc. Shame on Governor Snyder for allowing this to happen.

Flint, Michigan, Water Crisis: Obama Signs Emergency Declaration

President Barack Obama on Saturday declared a state of emergency in Flint, Michigan, where officials allegedly ignored the detriments of a water source that exposed nearly everyone in the city to lead poisoning and other contaminants.

The White House issued a release calling for the Federal Emergency Management Agency "to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in Genesee County," where residents have been warned not to drink unfiltered tap water.

FEMA will deliver water, water filters, water filter cartridges, water test kits, "and other necessary related items" for about three months, the release said.

Flint crisis looms large for Snyder’s State of State

Jonathan Oosting, The Detroit News 9:19 a.m. EST January 17, 2016

Lansing — One year after outlining his optimistic vision for a “river of opportunity,” Republican Gov. Rick Snyder is swimming upstream as he prepares to deliver Tuesday night his 2016 State of the State address.

Protesters are expected to gather outside of the Capitol ahead of the governor’s speech, seeking to “hold him accountable” for drinking water contamination in Flint that threatens to overshadow the rest of his agenda for the year ahead. Snyder will detail a comprehensive strategy to deal with the Flint crisis during the State of the State address, Snyder Chief of Staff Dennis Muchmore said Friday.

Late Thursday, he requested that President Barack Obama declare a federal emergency in Flint and supply aid. Obama approved Saturday $5 million in emergency assistance...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...sis-looms-large-snyders-state-state/78916176/

Is it safe to shower in the water the same water that is banned for drinking? Not that I would want to. I use a lot of water a day, shower, washing dishes( by hand), flushing toilet, ice water all day, etc. I wonder how much bottled water they get per day, is there a limit? per how ever many days this continues. Knowing me, I would demand a hotel from TPTB.:moo:

Generally speaking, yes.

http://flintwaterstudy.org/2015/11/lead-contaminated-water-bathing-showering-concerns/

Following this, and digging into why the replacement of lead pipes has been so deferred/ delayed. One source says half of the homes in Flint have lead supply pipes.And the giant pipes that supply the city could possibly be over a hundred years old like the ones that bring in Chicago's water supply. Why, why, why have those not been replaced??? Our infrastructure across the country is literally dissolving and crumbling.

http://www.metroplanning.org/news/6518/This-is-what-100-year-old-pipes-look-like

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...old-pipes-phillys-water-leak-rate-stays-high-

http://newsarchive.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news-221928.html

http://www.chicagolandh2o.org/documents/lake-michigan.pdf

Skipping ahead, the state of Michigan will be on the hook to the 100K residents of Flint for settlement $$ pretty much for the next 75-100 years, IMO. Scores of people will eventually be awarded "lead checks" funded by the state of Michigan, after all the lawsuits and settlements are conducted. Then the predatory agencies that buy structured settlements will move in, as they have in Baltimore.

I cannot fathom where the money is going to come from to pay all these people that will qualify for compensation.

This crisis has the potential to bankrupt Michigan in a way that will be more ongoing and permanent than the departure of the auto industry.

Monumentally sad and frustrating for the citizens of Flint, the State, and the other taxpayers that will have to pay for this. The cleanup of the water supply, bottled water, and filters, etc is but a tiny scratch in what this water crisis will cost over time.

Came to this thread hoping to learn something. Guess I'll have to check back later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakelady2469
Back