GA - Dr. Narendra Nagareddy, psychiatrist, charged in 36 patient deaths, Jan 2016

rosie_lee

Reaction score
JONESBORO, GA (CBS46) - A psychiatrist was arrested after 36 of his patients died,*12 of whom passed away due to overdose on prescription medication.

Doctor Narendra Nagareddy's office in Jonesorbo, just south of Atlanta, was raided by DEA agents Thursday.

Dr. Nagareddy*is*accused of violating Georgia's Controlled Substance Act.

"The search warrant [alleges] 36 of his patients have died,*12 of whom were autopsied with cause of death being overdose on prescription medication," said the Clayton County District Attorney.*

More at link: http://www.cbs46.com/story/30971975/psychiatrist-arrested-after-36-of-his-patients-died

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...ed.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A Georgia psychiatrist has been arrested after 36 of his patients died, a dozen of whom died of prescription drug overdoses.*

Dr. Narendra Nagareddy was taken into custody*after DEA agents raided his Jonesboro office on Thursday. Jonesboro is located in Clayton County, about 20 miles south of Atlanta.

WSB-TV Channel 2 reports*that Nagareddy*is*accused of*running a pill mill, including prescribing pain medications that are beyond his purview as a psychiatrist. Clayton County jail records show he is charged with unlawful prescribing of narcotics.*

More at link...

What took them so long to catch onto this guy? How many deaths before they decided it was enough???

How many patients died before anyone figured this out and why didn't a pharmacist catch on?This is terrible. Some of his patients were putting their lives in his hands and this is what they got for it.

“He’s charged with prescribing pain medication which is outside his profession as a psychiatrist and not for a legitimate purpose for the patient,” said Clayton County District Attorney Tracy Graham Lawson.

According to legal documents, "36 of Nagareddy's patients have died while being prescribed controlled substances from Dr. Nagareddy, 12 of which have been confirmed by investigators through autopsy reports to have been the result of prescription drug intoxication."

"Former and current patients have admitted to obtaining controlled substance prescriptions from Dr. Nagareddy without having a legitimate medical need," the documents said.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/today-5-investigators-raid-clayton-county-psychiat/np5PL/

Just sickening. I had a family member that has been close to death a few times the last decade because of a negligent dr and going to different pharmacies to fill the meds. The pharmacy is nothing to play around with . I hope this guy gets the max the law will allow.

What took them so long to catch onto this guy? How many deaths before they decided it was enough???

I agree. I would think the medical examiner would talk to the police long before there were 12 dead. Especially from non-psych drugs. Weird.

Just sickening. I had a family member that has been close to death a few times the last decade because of a negligent dr and going to different pharmacies to fill the meds. The pharmacy is nothing to play around with . I hope this guy gets the max the law will allow.

Drug seeking behaviors, like multiple pharmacy use, should show up on insurance company records. But if it was a lot of Medicaid, you could get away theoretically for a longer time. Medicaid pays first, looks at potential law breakers several years later.

3202d77f.gif

According to media reports Friday, a psychiatrist was arrested after 36 of his patients died, 12 of whom passed away due to overdose on prescription medication.

As reported by Al, Doctor Narendra Nagareddy’s office in Jonesorbo, just south of Atlanta, was raided by DEA agents Thursday.

Dr. Nagareddy is accused of violating Georgia’s Controlled Substance Act.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Maybe insurance wasn't even used. If I was obtaining a prescription that wasn't legit I would most certainly use cash.

I wonder what was cause of death for the other 24 patients.

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-doctor-arrested-36-patients-die-article-1.2498832

A Georgia doctor has been arrested after 36 of his patients died, with at least 12 killed by overdose on prescription medication.

Psychiatrist Narendra Nagareddy was held at his office Thursday following a raid by DEA agents.

Nearly 40 federal and local agents raided the offices in Jonesboro, before they moved seized more assets at Nagareddy’s house.

He’s a psychiatrist in Jonesboro who has been overprescribing opiates and benzodiazepine and the last several years has had a multitude of overdoses and overdose deaths,” Clayton County Police Chief Mike Register*told WSB-TV Channel 2 News.

More at link...

So far it lists Opiates and Benzodiazapines as the drugs he is accused of over prescribing. Since those are Scheduled drugs, you would think that he would have been flagged and something done about it, long before 36 people died.

40 Agents to go in to this Doctors Office & raid it, holy cow!

http://www.news-daily.com/news/psyc...cle_c1460b2c-6512-5ceb-91c8-1832025b2180.html

A Clayton County Superior Court grand jury indicted a former Jonesboro psychiatrist Wednesday for three counts of felony murder and 59 counts of unauthorized distribution of a controlled substance which allegedly resulted in his clients’ deaths.

Narendra Kumar Nagareddy, 57, was arrested at his McDonough home Wednesday...

Lawson said the three victims in this case are local victims, Audrey Austin, 29; David Robinson, 49; and Cheryl Pennington, 47.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back