PA - Police Officer For Felony Burglary+ :: Northampton County - 15 Jan 2016

Richrd

Ten Year Member
Reaction score
This is incredible imo.

The guy is 23 years old, has gone to the trouble of becoming a police officer, has been hired as a police officer, and he commits several burglaries in an apartment building with his brother. Wth?

How long could he have possibly been a police officer? Have felt for a long time that the job of LE is attracting the wrong kind of person - and they are getting in. Sociopaths? Able to easily fool people? Well aware of the power they will have?

How long could he have possibly been a police officer? Have felt for a long time that the job of LE is attracting the wrong kind of person - and they are getting in. Sociopaths? Able to easily fool people? Well aware of the power they will have?

He probably fits the profile of a desirable candidate on several counts. Unintelligent, ruthless, sees the world in black and white, he's a team player, and he's willing to lie to protect his team.

Apparently the "team" doesn't support him. Guess that's why he was arrested. Nice to tar the whole profession with a broad brush though.

He probably fits the profile of a desirable candidate on several counts. Unintelligent, ruthless, sees the world in black and white, he's a team player, and he's willing to lie to protect his team.

Amazing post, thanks for the laugh..

Apparently the "team" doesn't support him. Guess that's why he was arrested. Nice to tar the whole profession with a broad brush though.

No doubt a good answer scmom, but I didn't see the post as painting the whole profession with a broad brush, especially in light of numerous previous posts. Officers are being arrested by other officers - right, left and centre. It's isn't difficult to read one per day.

The 'bad apples' don't appear to be few - to some. I see the post referring to 'many' LE. Jmo.

This is incredible imo.

The guy is 23 years old, has gone to the trouble of becoming a police officer, has been hired as a police officer, and he commits several burglaries in an apartment building with his brother. Wth?

Is there a profession that doesn't attract sociopaths? Are you worried about those in the medical field, education, and government in general also? AFAIK there is no profession whose members are pure as the driven snow. I think the current hate-filled climate toward law enforcement in particular, and government in general are nothing more than politic-driven divisiveness. JMO.

I'm sorry, but I'm not one to buy a barrel of apples where the standard is that only a majority -- let's say 51% of them -- are good. Or 69% Or 78% Or 95%

Especially when they're given rights to use lethal force that the people who pay them do not have.

I'm not going to dredge up the statistics yet again, but LEOs are more likely to commit some crimes than people in the general public. So forgive me if I don't kneel to their godly morality.

Is there a profession that doesn't attract sociopaths? Are you worried about those in the medical field, education, and government in general also? AFAIK there is no profession whose members are pure as the driven snow. I think the current hate-filled climate toward law enforcement in particular, and government in general are nothing more than politic-driven divisiveness. JMO.

Every field attracts its own kinds of weirdos. Like how childcare workers tend to get arrested more often for sexual abuse against children than most other professions. LE attracts plenty of good people who want to do the right thing. But, the darker side of it is that it attracts people who crave respect, power, and being the authority figure. Oh, and you get a gun, too. JMO, I have much respect for the good law enforcement officials out there. But that doesn't erase the fact that positions of authority attract people who crave power.

I'm sorry, but I'm not one to buy a barrel of apples where the standard is that only a majority -- let's say 51% of them -- are good. Or 69% Or 78% Or 95%

Especially when they're given rights to use lethal force that the people who pay them do not have.

I'm not going to dredge up the statistics yet again, but LEOs are more likely to commit some crimes than people in the general public. So forgive me if I don't kneel to their godly morality.

I don't think law enforcement expects the public to kneel to their "godly morality". I don't believe it would be too much to expect them to be treated as civilly as any other person would be treated.
Culling the "bad apples" from every profession is a good thing.

Every field attracts its own kinds of weirdos. Like how childcare workers tend to get arrested more often for sexual abuse against children than most other professions. LE attracts plenty of good people who want to do the right thing. But, the darker side of it is that it attracts people who crave respect, power, and being the authority figure. Oh, and you get a gun, too. JMO, I have much respect for the good law enforcement officials out there. But that doesn't erase the fact that positions of authority attract people who crave power.

Agreed. I work with LEOs regularly. The overwhelming majority of them are terrific people.

And yet...I can't help but note that many LEOs are protected by their fellow LEOs, their superiors, and their unions/fraternal organizations because they are trying to protect their salaries.

Now, that's probably true for any occupational group. But in my opinion, the stakes are different when human lives are in play.

And, as you say, it's somewhat different when your occupational group appeals to those who want extra power, who don't think that they get the respect that they deserve, or the rights they deserve. Add to the mix that you don't need to be smart to do the job, and in some places, being to smart can drop you from the list of candidates. There are very few jobs like that.

I think it's driven by citizens finally having had enough of police brutality, police shootings, and cover-ups. It shouldn't be a divisive issue, imo, but there are people who side with LE in every case no matter what the facts are. I'm certain Officer Spink has supporters who say he's innocent and it's his brother's fault, or he was set up, or drunk and didn't know what he was doing...

I'm very concerned about sociopaths employed in any profession.

I agree that all of the helping, or service, professions attract many people who truly want to help others. Medical, education, law enforcement, firemen, social workers and so on. But yes, there are those within all professions who are there for the wrong reasons.

I don't think law enforcement expects the public to kneel to their "godly morality". I don't believe it would be too much to expect them to be treated as civilly as any other person would be treated.
Culling the "bad apples" from every profession is a good thing.

But how do you cull them from LE when the good apples cover up and lie for the bad ones? When those in charge keep promoting them and putting them on the streets?

Not to hog the thread but while I do support law enforcement I do not support individuals who break the law.

But how do you cull them from LE when the good apples cover up and lie for the bad ones? When those in charge keep promoting them and putting them on the streets?

Well, I figure you can only baffle 'em with bs for a while, not forever. Sooner or later all will come out.

Fwiw, I'm not worried about sociopaths in the other professions mentioned - no one in those professions are handed guns and given the power to use them on others as they see fit.

Hopefully you don't think I mix corrupt/bad LE with hating all LE and government in general for some sort of politic-driven divisiveness - fwiw, I don't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back