UK UK - Peter Watts, 15, Euston, London, 18 Jan 1976

Rhyl, Prestatyn, and Abergele Journal:

Forty years after mysterious death of Colwyn Bay teen in London, appeal for information

Wales Online:

'I don’t think I’ll ever find the truth now' Appeal renewed over death of teenager 40 years on

BBC:

Colwyn Bay's Peter Watts appeal 40 years after death

South Wales Evening Post:

Police appeal for help in death of Welsh teen Peter Watts in London four decades ago

London Evening Standard:

Fresh appeal 40 years after mysterious death of 15-year-old boy

From Fortean Times:

January 1976: Peter Watts, a 15 year-old boy from Colwyn Bay, Wales left his home on the morning of the 18th. Little did his friends and family know that he would not be seen alive again. He had left a note saying he was going to a friends house to study for an exam. Soon after 1:30 that afternoon, he was found dying in the underpass near Euston Square tube station in London. A taxi-driver found him lying on the road with a severely fractured skull and rushed him to a nearby University College Hospital, where he died. Peter's father said he knew no one in London. His skull injury, cracked ribs and fractured shoulder were all consistent, in the coroner's view, with a fall from a great height rather than from an assault or self-injury. The police could find no positive witness who might have seen the boy travel by train to Chester and then London, arriving at Euston station, at that time a notorious cruising area for 'rent boys.' More curious was the fact that forensic examination revealed that the boy and his clothes were "impeccably clean" as though he had just been bathed. Even his wound had no sign of the grit expected if he had fallen on his head from the overpass above. The mystery death of 'the Super-Clean boy' was one of the first strange deaths I (Bob Rickard) investigated. FT21:13

North Wales Daily Post:

Timeline of Peter Watts murder investigation
How his death was reported from 1976-1977

Riddle of how Colwyn Bay boy Peter Watts died in London

How the death of the Colwyn Bay teenager was reported in January 29, 1976

Peter Watts funeral held in Colwyn Bay
How the death of the Colwyn Bay teenager was reported in February 5 1976

Peter Watts inquest hears teen's body could have been 'bathed' as jurors return murder verdict
How the inquest of the Colwyn Bay teenager was reported in May 1976

Peter Watts' death 'most puzzling' for detectives
How the death of the Colwyn Bay teenager was reported on January 11, 1977

and from 2016....

Shropshire Star:

Police to meet 'witness' over death of Welsh teenager in London 40 years ago
Detectives are to meet soon with a potential witness in the 40-year-old case involving the
mysterious death of Welsh teenager amid suggestion he may have been hit by a police car.

Btw, not believing this cabbie's tale; you?

Lots of cabs around Euston, I expect, but, even given what we now might think of as limitations of ready access to media at the time, this young man's death was part of the conversation when it occurred; not buying that this guy sat on his piece of the puzzle for 40 years, wondering its context and import, and now seeks "closure" by coming forward on the tragedy's anniversary. Don't think so.

Hi, was there ever any follow up on this?

My husband told me the story when it was reported on a few years ago by the newspaper he works for and I was wondering if they ever found out the truth or had any theories.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back