821 users online (89 members and 732 guests)  

Websleuths News

IL - 11 Chicago priests removed from parishes

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Eleven priests suspected of sexual misconduct with minors more than 20 years ago have been barred from clerical work, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago said Monday.

The men cannot present themselves as priests, engage in public ministries or act as an agent of the archdiocese, although they have not been removed from the priesthood, said Chancellor Jimmy Lago.

Lago would not disclose specific allegations or the priests' names or parishes.

The 11 were among a group of 14 priests whose alleged sexual misconduct was forwarded to Vatican officials two years ago by Cardinal Francis George, archdiocese officials said. One of the priests has died and two other cases will be decided by pending canonical trials.

The Vatican studied the cases last year and authorized George to conduct a review that included opinions from advocates for the priests and advisers, Lago said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/26/pri....ap/index.html

I wonder how many children they have victimized? - and how many more victims are out there? The cycle of abuse continues, often the victim becomes the abuser to another child.

I hate these sicko priests! Pedophiles, rapists using their collar for access and ruining countless lives. They will be the downfall of the Church. People are getting sick and tired of it and the conspiracy to cover it all up.

How many years have they known, and let them remain priests?

This whole thing makes me sick - raping children in church and the church defends it, allows it to happen, protects those who have done it, for fear of frapping embarassment!

Also, how much 'hush money' has been paid out and Priests quietly moved to other parishes, where they reoffend>? They are no different then any pedophile anywhere. In fact with the whole relgious aspect added in, maybe they are worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    Also, how much 'hush money' has been paid out and Priests quietly moved to other parishes, where they reoffend>? They are no different then any pedophile anywhere. In fact with the whole relgious aspect added in, maybe they are worse.
    They are worse - more damaging to the kids. Given what we know of pedophiles, that they are uncurable, I have some minimal degree of sympathy for them - but their bosses, the people who protected them don't have that excuse. They are worse, they did it for power; they let children be raped for power - and they don't even have the excuse of having that something wrong with your brain that makes you a pedophile!

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    How many years have they known, and let them remain priests?
    One of the Priests is from my grammar school/Parish , in Chicago. I went to school with several of the boys that were molested by this priest. Several of them had filed complaints approx 10-15 years ago, however the church tried to sweep it under the rug. I guess since it made local news, they had no choice but to take further action. I'm not sure what they did with this particular priest though, as he went on to another school in GA back in 87.

Pretty scary to know that they are still out there, somewhere. The church should have taken immediate action, IMO. However, back in those days, your parents frowned upon you to even incinuate such a thing.

The Priest molested my friends brother. Their Mom was a teacher at the school and was 'friends' with this Priest. Everytime I'd go over to his house, he would be there. It was really freaky. He'd eat dinner there and fall asleep on the couch. My friend and I would leave to go out but I guess he always would tuck the brother in, when he went to bed. We always thought something was weird about the guy, but our parents would get very angry when we would tell them that.

I don't want that to ever happen to any other kids, but I am glad that if a kid claims this now, at least it will be taken more seriously. At least I hope so!