1215 users online (193 members and 1022 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Steven Avery Jury Trial Day 1 - 02.12.2007

Steven Avery Jury Trial Day 1

12 February 2007
    251 pages

OPENING STATEMENTS
    • Attorney Kratz
    • Attorney Strang

WITNESSES
    • Michael D. Halbach
    • Thomas Pearce
    • David Beach

EXHIBITS
    • 1-10
    Last edited by bessie; 01-20-2016 at 01:17 AM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

For anyone interested, i have begun to work my way through the transcripts and am taking notes/summarizing the testimony from each witness, and would be happy to post the summaries on here as I go thru. No promises on how quickly these come up since I'm back at school and am taking a full course load, and my school unfortunately gives no credit for reading through 27 days of Avery trial transcripts lol. Good luck with your reading everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW. I had a busy day and came home to an message telling me the transcripts were up , so of course I come here and see the Mod's here have been very busy on this forum! Thanks mods! I am really amazed by the set up!

From Kratz's opening statement:

"The next day, three critical pieces of evidence are found on Tuesday, the 8th. Now, we talked about these more detailed searches. On
    Tuesday,
    occurred
    one of these more detailed searches
    in Mr. Avery's trailer.
    You are going to hear evidence that this was pulled out, was jostled about. You
    bookcase
    are going to hear evidence about this particular binder having been pulled out of the bookcase. And after the officers looked through it, how it was slammed back in as the book case was actually pulled out from the wall.
    And after jostling and after searching it, after slamming things around and after putting the bookcase back in its location, you are going to hear this is what the officers saw. They saw a Toyota vehicle key in the bedroom of Mr. Avery. You are going to hear evidence that it had obvious evidentiary value, that the officers at that time stopped what they were doing and Investigator Dan Kucharski of the Calumet County Sheriff's Department seized or took control of that key during that more detailed search."

(snip) More from his opening statement:

"But make no mistake, that on the first night, they are looking for Teresa and they are hoping to find Teresa alive.
    When that was unsuccessful, the next morning, on the 6th, Mr. Fassbender, Mr. Wiegert, were able to secure some help. They needed bodies. They needed some cops. They needed some volunteers. And so they got volunteer firefighters from all over the Manitowoc and Calumet County areas."

Seriously, "They needed bodies."
    Last edited by shadowraiths; 01-20-2016 at 01:44 AM. Reason: please refrain from name calling

"You will hear on the 10th, on Thursday, the burn area is further excavated by arson investigators and other Crime Lab and other types of officials but, interestingly, the defendant's DNA is now found on the key."

Interestingly is a good word for it

"And, finally, on Friday, the 11th, the female blood that was found, the great pool, if you will, of female blood, in the cargo area, is now matched. "

Now it is a GREAT POOL?

"The science, the blood part of the science, the DNA analysis and explanation of this case is going to come from this gentleman right
    here, Norm Gahn. Mr. Gahn, you will learn by his examination, is quite knowledgable in DNA and DNA from a prosecution standpoint. And in all honesty and in all candor, that's why he was added to the prosecution team, because this is such an important part of the case. The science becomes very, very important."

from a prosecution standpoint and in all honesty and candor, YEAH RIGHT

"You are going to hear about a DNA analyst from the Wisconsin Crime Lab named Sherry Culhane. Again, Ms Culhane, almost unbelievably, is the very analyst that exonerates Mr. Steven Avery several years earlier. She's the same analyst that does the detailed DNA work on
    Mr. Avery's work with the Innocence Project and frees Mr. Avery from his incarceration."

Unbelievably is a good way to describe it

"Well, that same woman, Sherry Culhane, processes this vehicle. Because she's the unit head, because this is such an important case, she does the work herself. She does all of the analysis of all of the blood that's found in these cases."

"Ms Culhane was able to establish all of the places in that SUV that had Teresa Halbach's DNA. You are going to learn that they found a large quantity of the blood and DNA in the cargo floor and the side panel. The back cargo door, you are going to hear that there were splatters, spatters of Teresa's blood in the back cargo door."

"You are going to hear that on the rear tailgate there were droplets of Teresa's blood; her DNA is found on the door handle"

"I told you about male blood that was in the SUV. On Wednesday, the 9th of November, Steven Avery subjected to a very thorough medical examination, again, as result of a warrant, as a result of a judicial authorization to do that particular kind of examination. And what they found was a very, very deep cut to Mr. Avery's right middle finger but, importantly, on the outside of his right middle finger. And that's where the cut was."

So this cut was at least 10 days old??

"This cut was actively bleeding on the 31st of October. And I guess, thankfully, for the State."

how do they know that??And thankfully, for the State. REALLY?

"You heard a suggestion already there will be evidence in this case that the battery was disconnected on Ms Halbach's vehicle. We'll tell you, or at least we'll argue as to why that happened. But importantly, in reaching up underneath the hood, to open up Teresa Halbach's vehicle, Mr. Avery was kind enough to leave his DNA on the hood latch. Okay. That will come from Sherry Culhane as well."

Kind enough and Sherry again...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast