1256 users online (209 members and 1047 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Guardian:

Saddleworth Moor body: son of missing man tells of anxious wait for answers

Would be quite something if he re-appeared a smartly dressed pensioner with £130 in his pocket two+ decades later.
    This quote makes me think nah, not him, no way!!

His £130 was all of it in £10s -- 13 bills, for, particularly, the superstitiously inclined sleuths in our midst.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    His £130 was all of it in £10s -- 13 bills, for, particularly, the superstitiously inclined sleuths in our midst.
    Maybe a bank teller or store clerk might remember a man specifically requesting 13 10 pound notes?

1a64b9ec-7ddc-44a4-bc4e-508d78c87a28afdc9764-0019-43c3-acd2-b00cb6f5c457-1-589x442.jpg
    http://news.sky.com/story/1632544/so...missing-father

A man is facing an anxious wait to see if a body found on Saddleworth Moor is that of his missing father who disappeared without trace from Northern Ireland more than two decades earlier.

Sean Toner has provided a DNA sample to police investigating the death of a pensioner-aged man in the remote area of northern England last December.

His father, Hugh Toner, from Newry, walked out of Craigavon Area Hospital in the early hours of Monday, 7 February, 1994, dressed only in a vest and pyjama bottoms.
    Mr Toner's son told Sky News: "The description that was given by Greater Manchester Police matches the description of my dad right down to the gentleman that was found apparently has a broken nose, my dad had a broken nose.

Mystery man found dead in Saddleworth could have travelled from another country

Arabic writing on a medicine bottle found with the body has given detectives a new clue.
    The mystery man whose body was found at the top of a mountain in Saddleworth may have travelled to the beauty spot from overseas.

Arabic writing on a medicine bottle found with his body has led detectives to think that the man may not even be from the UK.

Officers may now need to widen their investigation even further after discovering that the drug - which was not prescribed - cannot be bought over the counter.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....worth-10810922

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    Maybe a bank teller or store clerk might remember a man specifically requesting 13 10 pound notes?
    I think it more likely that the ATM he used was not dispensing £20 notes when he visited. It does sometimes happen.

The owner of the pub he talked to on his way to the peak said he spoke british english with no accent.
    According to news the medicine bottle found with the body was written in both english and arabic (http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/ne...urns-to-ulster). So the medicine may have been prescribed in an arabic country.
    It is very possible that he was not reported missing or identified until now, because he lives abroad in an arabic speaking country and was just visiting. I think police should check recent flights from those countries to the UK and the passengers. And any airport CCTV.
    He may have left his passport in an hotel he was staying in in London. That would explain that the body was found without ID.

Quote Originally Posted by ALadInsane View Post
    The owner of the pub he talked to on his way to the peak said he spoke british english with no accent.
    According to news the medicine bottle found with the body was written in both english and arabic (http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/ne...urns-to-ulster). So the medicine may have been prescribed in an arabic country.
    It is very possible that he was not reported missing or identified until now, because he lives abroad in an arabic speaking country and was just visiting. I think police should check recent flights from those countries to the UK and the passengers. And any airport CCTV.
    He may have left his passport in an hotel he was staying in in London. That would explain that the body was found without ID.
    OR the prescription was filled in a neighborhood with a large population of Arabic speaking people in Britain. A passport left behind in a hotel would have been found by now.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    OR the prescription was filled in a neighborhood with a large population of Arabic speaking people in Britain. A passport left behind in a hotel would have been found by now.
    I doubt UK prescriptions are ever printed in anything other than English. Regardless of the pharmacist's, patient's or local dominant nationality, it is too heavily regulated to be ambiguous in any way. I could be wrong... more likely he had to get meds on holiday somewhere like Dubai or Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by CoverMeCagney View Post
    I doubt UK prescriptions are ever printed in anything other than English. Regardless of the pharmacist's, patient's or local dominant nationality, it is too heavily regulated to be ambiguous in any way. I could be wrong... more likely he had to get meds on holiday somewhere like Dubai or Egypt.
    I lived in a predominantly muslim area in glasgow and it certainly wasnt just bootleg fags you could buy over the counter in the grocers jmo

http://saddind.co.uk/missing-irish-g...death-mystery/

Missing Irish grandfather ruled out of Saddleworth moors death mystery

February 4, 2016

A GRANDFATHER missing from a Northern Ireland hospital since 1994 is not the mystery man found dead at a Greenfield beauty spot nearly two months ago.

Ulsterman Hugh Toner was eliminated from the case after samples from his son Sean didn’t match the DNA of the elderly man discovered on Chew track, leading to Chew Reservoir on December 12.
    Meanwhile, the search for the man’s identity is going global as DNA samples from the mystery pensioner have been sent to Interpol-International Crime Police Organisation.

The case details have also been sent to producers of the popular BBC Crimewatch programme.

Anyone who recognises this man or has any information should phone police on 0161 872 5050 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

For now, the unidentified gentleman is referred to as 'Neil Dovestone'.

The detective said he recently spoke to mortuary attendants at the Royal Oldham Hospital who have given the unknown man a nickname.
    He said: “They have taken the male to their hearts and have even given the male a name – 'Neil Dovestone'. They feel this gives the unidentified male dignity pending his official identification.”

A second post-mortem examination took place on Friday when a forensic dentist also examined the body. Officers are still waiting on the results of a toxicology report.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....death-10831753
    rbbm.

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    For now, the unidentified gentleman is referred to as 'Neil Dovestone'.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....death-10831753
    rbbm.
    Hopefully they will release an image or composition of his face, he was found just hours after he died so it shouldn't be a problem getting a clear picture. Once the newspapers start printing it I imagine somebody will come forward, someone has to recognise him!
    Unless he came from abroad.

I would think they'll do the full forensics and try to find out which area or country this man is from.

I'm confident this one will get solved sooner rather than later!

Quote Originally Posted by meanmaryjean View Post
    OR the prescription was filled in a neighborhood with a large population of Arabic speaking people in Britain.
    In the 15 years that I have been taking Levothyroxine, I have never had the tablets dispensed loose in a bottle. Regardless of the brand they are always supplied in blister packs of 28 tablets.

Nor have I ever heard of medicine packaging carrying dispensing lables in any language other than English for drugs dispensed in the UK, though it would be worth asking a pharmacist about this.

Neil... I had him down as a Dave! A composition would be a fab idea CMC!

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast