738 users online (82 members and 656 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Winter Storm Jonas - Jan. 2016

Dangerous Winter Storm Jonas to Bring Crippling Snowstorm, Major Ice Threat; Blizzard Warnings for D.C., Baltimore
    Jan 22 2016 12:15 AM EST

Tens of millions of Americans are preparing as the ingredients come together for Winter Storm Jonas to evolve into a crippling snowstorm later Friday into the weekend. With Winter Storm Jonas organizing over the Southeast and moisture surging into cold air to the north, rain is changing over to snow on the northwest side of the system. Conditions will go downhill rapidly through Saturday with blizzard conditions, heavy ice accumulations, strong winds and coastal flooding developing across the East.

As of Thursday night, more than 85 million people or roughly one in every four Americans in at least 20 states were covered by either a blizzard watch, blizzard warning, winter storm watch, winter storm warning, winter weather advisory, or freezing rain advisory from Arkansas to the Carolinas to the New York City area.

LIVE: Damaging storms, snow, ice pound southern US as East awaits blizzard
    By Katy Galimberti, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer
    January 22, 2016; 7:58 AM ET

Delays and cancellations are mounting across the eastern United States ahead of a blizzard expected to dump excessive snow from Washington, D.C., to Philadelphia and New York City.
    Before the storm aims for the Northeast, snow, ice and severe weather will impact the South.
    As the storm strengthens, wind speeds and snowfall rates will increase. Whiteout conditions will occur in several states. The storm will threaten to shut down highways and airports in its path.
    More than 50 million people are likely to be affected through the weekend.

Blizzard to unload immobilizing snow from DC to Philadelphia, NYC
    By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist
    January 22, 2016; 8:00 AM ET

A blizzard will threaten to bring travel to a standstill from Washington, D.C., to New York City as well as across the southern Appalachians by the weekend. Snow and wind will brush southern New England.
    Winds and the rate of snowfall will increase as the storm strengthens. Thunder and lightning could accompany the heavy snow in some locations. An all-out blizzard will unfold from northern Virginia to southwestern Connecticut. Whiteout conditions will occur farther west from south-central Pennsylvania to part of western North Carolina.
    Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency at 8 a.m. EST on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016, to help channel state assistance to local communities fighting the storm. Other states were following suit in advance of the storm.

Live blog from Accuweather with pictures and up-to-the-minute updates:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-2016/54927448

ETA:

8:14 a.m. EST Friday: Philadelphia International Airport announced all flights have been canceled for Saturday, Jan. 23.
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Stay safe everyone in it's path
    All posts are my opinion only unless supported by a link
    Keep calm and carry on
    "Your out of your tree" "It's not my tree"
    #finddani

a little chuckle before we batten down the hatches:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    DH and I are flying to Fort Lauderdale this evening for a 7-night cruise tomorrow. We anticipate a bumpy ride as we head south, and there are supposed to be high winds tomorrow as we board the ship and await sailaway. Hopefully, most folks heading to the ship will arrive today/tonight and not be delayed or flights cancelled tomorrow. I wish my fellow cruisemates safe travels and Bon Voyage!

8:55 a.m. EST Friday: Snow is covering Bank of America Stadium, home to the Carolina Panthers. The Panthers host the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday for the NFC Championship
    https://twitter.com/Panthers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    The world is full of monsters with friendly faces and angels full of scars. ~ Unknown

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

Charlotte dweller here...the city shuts down whenever snow is mentioned. I'm from Indianapolis, so this always makes me chuckle.

I am super prepared for the storm! so don't be surprised if Jonas doesn't show up in the Philly/South Jersey area

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    DH and I are flying to Fort Lauderdale this evening for a 7-night cruise tomorrow. We anticipate a bumpy ride as we head south, and there are supposed to be high winds tomorrow as we board the ship and await sailaway. Hopefully, most folks heading to the ship will arrive today/tonight and not be delayed or flights cancelled tomorrow. I wish my fellow cruisemates safe travels and Bon Voyage!
    Safe travels and enjoy BDE
    All posts are my opinion only unless supported by a link
    Keep calm and carry on
    "Your out of your tree" "It's not my tree"
    #finddani

9:59 a.m. EST Friday: United announced it will suspend flights to Washington Dulles and other mid-Atlantic airports starting at 4 p.m. EST Friday due to the storm.

10:23 a.m. EST Friday: NOAA satellites captured a look at the storm as it approaches the East Coast:

650x366_01221523_czvymmew0aeudg9.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-2016/54927448

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Safe travels and enjoy BDE
    Thank you We were actually supposed to fly to FLL yesterday but I wound up in the doctor's office instead. DH was home sick last week with the same thing, and I hoped I wouldn't fall victim to the same nasty sinus infection. No such luck. I wasn't well enough to fly for my own sake and that of my Delta passengers. I got a Z-pak and nasal spray and a note that says I'm alright to travel. Slept about 12 hours yesterday and overnight, so I feel better than I did 24 hours ago. Meds should kick in by tomorrow when we board the ship, and I plan to take it easy and not try to do too much or stay up 'til all hours.

BDE, a cruise sounds really good right about now! Safe travel!

We are expected to get between 12-18" here in very Northern Delaware, however we are right on the cusp of the 24" mark as we are very close to MD and PA. Snow is supposed to start tonight and be super windy tomorrow.

My DH MD thinks he is going to be able to work tomorrow at his Urgent Care. Uh no. Who is going to be out in a blizzard?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast