Winter Storm Jonas - Jan. 2016

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Dangerous Winter Storm Jonas to Bring Crippling Snowstorm, Major Ice Threat; Blizzard Warnings for D.C., Baltimore
Jan 22 2016 12:15 AM EST

Tens of millions of Americans are preparing as the ingredients come together for Winter Storm Jonas to evolve into a crippling snowstorm later Friday into the weekend. With Winter Storm Jonas organizing over the Southeast and moisture surging into cold air to the north, rain is changing over to snow on the northwest side of the system. Conditions will go downhill rapidly through Saturday with blizzard conditions, heavy ice accumulations, strong winds and coastal flooding developing across the East.

map_specnewsdct-18_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

As of Thursday night, more than 85 million people – or roughly one in every four Americans – in at least 20 states were covered by either a blizzard watch, blizzard warning, winter storm watch, winter storm warning, winter weather advisory, or freezing rain advisory from Arkansas to the Carolinas to the New York City area.

LIVE: Damaging storms, snow, ice pound southern US as East awaits blizzard
By Katy Galimberti, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer
January 22, 2016; 7:58 AM ET

650x366_01221210_czurpxrumaejcrp-1.jpg

Delays and cancellations are mounting across the eastern United States ahead of a blizzard expected to dump excessive snow from Washington, D.C., to Philadelphia and New York City.
Before the storm aims for the Northeast, snow, ice and severe weather will impact the South.
As the storm strengthens, wind speeds and snowfall rates will increase. Whiteout conditions will occur in several states. The storm will threaten to shut down highways and airports in its path.
More than 50 million people are likely to be affected through the weekend.

Blizzard to unload immobilizing snow from DC to Philadelphia, NYC
By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist
January 22, 2016; 8:00 AM ET

650x366_01212045_hd20.jpg

A blizzard will threaten to bring travel to a standstill from Washington, D.C., to New York City as well as across the southern Appalachians by the weekend. Snow and wind will brush southern New England.
Winds and the rate of snowfall will increase as the storm strengthens. Thunder and lightning could accompany the heavy snow in some locations. An all-out blizzard will unfold from northern Virginia to southwestern Connecticut. Whiteout conditions will occur farther west from south-central Pennsylvania to part of western North Carolina.
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency at 8 a.m. EST on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016, to help channel state assistance to local communities fighting the storm. Other states were following suit in advance of the storm.

Stay safe everyone in it's path

a little chuckle before we batten down the hatches:

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-10-30-17-am1.jpg

DH and I are flying to Fort Lauderdale this evening for a 7-night cruise tomorrow. We anticipate a bumpy ride as we head south, and there are supposed to be high winds tomorrow as we board the ship and await sailaway. Hopefully, most folks heading to the ship will arrive today/tonight and not be delayed or flights cancelled tomorrow. I wish my fellow cruisemates safe travels and Bon Voyage!

Charlotte dweller here...the city shuts down whenever snow is mentioned. I'm from Indianapolis, so this always makes me chuckle.

I am super prepared for the storm! so don't be surprised if Jonas doesn't show up in the Philly/South Jersey area ;)

DH and I are flying to Fort Lauderdale this evening for a 7-night cruise tomorrow. We anticipate a bumpy ride as we head south, and there are supposed to be high winds tomorrow as we board the ship and await sailaway. Hopefully, most folks heading to the ship will arrive today/tonight and not be delayed or flights cancelled tomorrow. I wish my fellow cruisemates safe travels and Bon Voyage!

Safe travels and enjoy BDE

Safe travels and enjoy BDE

Thank you :loveyou: We were actually supposed to fly to FLL yesterday but I wound up in the doctor's office instead. DH was home sick last week with the same thing, and I hoped I wouldn't fall victim to the same nasty sinus infection. No such luck. I wasn't well enough to fly for my own sake and that of my Delta passengers. I got a Z-pak and nasal spray and a note that says I'm alright to travel. Slept about 12 hours yesterday and overnight, so I feel better than I did 24 hours ago. Meds should kick in by tomorrow when we board the ship, and I plan to take it easy and not try to do too much or stay up 'til all hours.

BDE, a cruise sounds really good right about now! Safe travel!

We are expected to get between 12-18" here in very Northern Delaware, however we are right on the cusp of the 24" mark as we are very close to MD and PA. Snow is supposed to start tonight and be super windy tomorrow.

My DH MD thinks he is going to be able to work tomorrow at his Urgent Care. Uh no. Who is going to be out in a blizzard?

I am in the only 18"-24" spot in New Jersey. Why? WHY!?!?

My little sister lives in DC, but was raised/learned to drive in VT. Friends have been trying to recruit her to drive them places during the storm lol. One person even offered her a thousand dollars to drive them to New York because their flight has already been cancelled. Thankfully she is a smart cookie and has turned them all down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back