N.O. Police Chief resigns

Ntegrity said:
I wonder WHY he's resigning. :waitasec:

I can't see him resigning because reports that came to him that he passed on were exaggerated. Call me a cynic, but I can't help wonder if things may have been as bad as he said and now he's being asked to cover it up. He struck me, in his interviews, as a very decent and committed person who did a fantastic job under the circumstances.

Maybe the mayor and governor will catch a clue and follow suit.

Mabel said:
I can't help wonder if things may have been as bad as he said and now he's being asked to cover it up.

That's exactly what I think too. I think there is some major covering up going on - all the way down to the media downplaying things now.

Mabel said:
I can't see him resigning because reports that came to him that he passed on were exaggerated. Call me a cynic, but I can't help wonder if things may have been as bad as he said and now he's being asked to cover it up. He struck me, in his interviews, as a very decent and committed person who did a fantastic job under the circumstances.
I think he's resigning because he knows the reports AREN'T exaggerated, and has no desire to try and investigate and try to bring to justice perps who are now scattered to the four corners of this country. And do you want to try and police New Orleans as it is right now, since Nagin is still trying to rush people back into Uptown & the CBD? Not me.

Jules said:
That's exactly what I think too. I think there is some major covering up going on - all the way down to the media downplaying things now.

The media is reporting what they're being told. They were told that only 6 (or 10 according to the Health Department) bodies were found at the Superdome. Maybe that's all there were, but I'm having a hard time believing it. So many people who came out of the Superdome were interviewed and they all had similar stories. Sure it could have been mass hysteria and rumors, but then again???

I wish some agency with no agenda or connection to the failed relief efforts was doing the investigating. It's worries me when the government sends it's own people in to determine if the government was in the wrong.

It's an absolutely perfect situation for mass hysteria and rumors. It's happened before, it'll happen again.

Terrified people, uncertain situation, a lack of information. Rumors travel everywhere, get distorted, and the worst are the most repeated because if they are true, they are the most terrifying. A statement that the rumor isn't true doesn't go anywhere because it isn't a threat.

And as always, a lie often enough repeated becomes the truth.

Ntegrity said:
I wonder WHY he's resigning. :waitasec:
Seems to me to be quite plausible that he's resigning because such a high percentage of his officers deserted. However well he did with managing with what he had; that alone is a failure. Also, there's the emotional side. Two officers who were good friends of his suicided and these disasters always take a psychological toll on everyone involved.

We will never know the truth as long as the investigating committee is made up of insiders.

I think he resigned because of the Mayor. Nagins insisting on people returnig before it is safe is causing conflicts on all levels.

There's going to be an investigation of why so many police officers deserted. Many were just trying to decide what to do about their own families. Maybe he just can't overcome the black eye now of what happened.

I don't see how anyone could get along with the mayor.

I think that there should be some resignations in NO. The police chief wasn't at the top of my list, though.

tybee204 said:
I think he resigned because of the Mayor. Nagins insisting on people returnig before it is safe is causing conflicts on all levels.

I had that same thought Tybee. I can't imagine why the mayor is in such a rush to have people return to a city that is not safe.

The theories posted so far are good. However I have to wonder if he isn't just burned out. It is very possible that he just can't take anymore.

jannuncutt said:
The theories posted so far are good. However I have to wonder if he isn't just burned out. It is very possible that he just can't take anymore.

That could be it and possibly has a a lucrative job offer somewhere else where he can have his family with him.

LINK

After announcing his retirement Tuesday, New Orleans Police Superintendent Eddie Compass told several high-ranking officers that he had been forced out by Mayor Ray Nagin, the officers said Wednesday.

They said Compass told them the decision came on the heels of a heated confrontation with the mayor. The officers spoke only on condition that they not be named.
Reached Wednesday by e-mail, Nagin said that those accounts were "inaccurate."

Compass could not be reached for comment.

At a hastily called news conference Tuesday with Nagin in attendance, Compass announced that he was retiring. When asked by a reporter whether Compass was being forced out, Nagin said no.

But after the announcement, Compass returned to a cruise ship where he and other displaced officers had been living, where they say he told them he had been forced to resign.

"He was going around telling officers, including myself, it wasn't his doing, that he would've never quit," said a high-ranking officer who asked not to be named. "He had tears in his eyes. He didn't want to go."

Another officer said Compass told him, "You work at the pleasure of the mayor. This was not my decision."

Nagin later named Assistant Superintendent Warren Riley as acting superintendent.

Officers said Compass told them that he and Nagin had an angry confrontation Tuesday morning, hours before Compass announced his retirement, which he said would begin after a transition period of up to 45 days.

Compass has come under increasing fire because of the Police Department's response to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, in which some officers were seen looting a store and 249 officers left their posts.

Shadow205 said:
Nagin is the one who needs to go.
I went and looked up Nagin's credentials---prior to his 2002 run for Mayor, he had never held political office before, of any kind. He was an executive at Cox Cable. And he switched from Republican to Democrat in order to get elected.
He was elected promising an end to corruption, inefficency & incompetence in NO's city hall.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back