1144 users online (189 members and 955 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by missy1974 View Post
    This is so sad.... and being Canadian, and from Saskatchewan, I can't count how many times I or someone I know has said "thank goodness those things don't happen here". How terrible for that community and those families, all involved.
    Not trying to be flippant, Also being Canadian and having moved to SK 10 years ago it surprises that this has not happened here before.

La Loche population is about 2600 Aboriginal Indian

Non Aboriginal population is about 90 people

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie M View Post

La Loche population is about 2600 Aboriginal Indian

Non Aboriginal population is about 90 people

The school would however have at least a couple of communities plus the children from the reserve attending would it not. A town of 3000 people would not have a school with 900 children.

Reports just a few minutes ago on CTV that two of the shooter's siblings were killed at home.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/crime...yone-in-or-out

La Loche acting Mayor Kevin Janvier told The Associated Press that his 23-year old daughter Marie, a teacher, was shot dead by the alleged gunman. He said RCMP told him that the gunman is alleged to have first shot two of his siblings before killing Janvier’s daughter. Kevin Janvier said he did not know if the alleged shooter knew his daughter.

“He shot two of his brothers at his home and made his way to the school,” said Janvier, adding that Marie was his only child. “I’m just so sad.”

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    Reports just a few minutes ago on CTV that two of the shooter's siblings were killed at home.
    Sadly I knew this was coming.

Now the total is higher than before the original 5 victims (but now we have two crime scenes).

These situations are fluid, and I'm willing to allow officials leeway here. It's unfortunate it occurred this way, but entirely understandable

Just so tragic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    findsierralamar.com
    #JusticeForSierraLaMar #JusticeForLittleChris #JusticeForSierah #JusticeForMalik #JusticeForAnGelica #JusticeForErin #JusticeForGabbi #JusticeForBecky #JusticeForKarina #JusticeForCharli #JusticeForJoshua #JusticeForCooper #JusticeForBella #JusticeForHeatherElvis #JusticeForJenise #JusticeForOmaree #JusticeForTristan #JusticeForJordyn
    #FindSierraLaMar #FindKatelin #FindRelishaRudd #FindBabyDelano #FindBabyDaphne #FindMyraLewis #FindDeOrr

#LongLiveWebSleuths
    @

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/run-bro-...hool-1.2749032

'Run, bro, run!' Teen describes moments after shots fired at La Loche school

"We were going back to gym class, that's when I heard the first shot," he explained. "I looked back. He didn't see me, that's why I ran to the gym class, closed the door, and I ran in the dressing room. We stayed there for, like, three hours."

Desjarlais-Thomas forwarded to The Canadian Press a screenshot of a chilling exchange that had taken place on social media a short time before the shooting between a young man and his friends.

"Just killed 2 ppl," wrote the young man. "Bout to shoot ip the school."

"Why?" asked a friend. "Why?"

Many residents of the small community hunt and fish to support their families. Desjarlais-Thomas said it is not the kind of place where kids would expect something so terrible.

"What I saw today was something un-ordinary," said the teen. "I just thought it was going to be a normal Friday and then, yeah, that happened."

School Shootings In Canada
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting#Canada

Centennial Secondary School shooting May 28, 1975 Michael Slobodian 2 Killed
    St. Pius X High School shooting October 27, 1975 Robert Poulin 2 Killed
    ╔cole Polytechnique December 6, 1989 Marc Lepine 14 Killed
    Concordia University August 24, 1992 Dr. Valery Fabrikant 4 Killed
    W. R. Myers High School April 28, 1999 Todd Cameron Smith 1 Killed
    Dawson College September 13, 2006 Kimveer Gill 1 Killed

The ╔cole Polytechnique remains the deadliest spree killing in Canadian history.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by kimi_SFC View Post
    Sadly I knew this was coming.

Now the total is higher than before the original 5 victims (but now we have two crime scenes).

These situations are fluid, and I'm willing to allow officials leeway here. It's unfortunate it occurred this way, but entirely understandable

Just so tragic!
    My understanding is that four people were killed (two bothers, one teacher, one assistant teacher) and two people were critically injured at two locations. I don’t think the total will be higher. But the details are so sketchy that it’s hard to be sure of anything in this case.

Saskatchewan teacher named as one of four killed in Canada school shooting
    Last edited by KaaBoom; 01-23-2016 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdgdid View Post
    Not trying to be flippant, Also being Canadian and having moved to SK 10 years ago it surprises that this has not happened here before.
    sorry I didn't see this earlier.... unfortunately, I would have to agree. It's such a remote community and it has had some issues before, just not to this degree. I cannot even imagine how they were able to handle this situation today, do they even have enough medical staff? Thank goodness for STAR's.

You have been here for 10 years..... are you a Rider fan yet? lol

Quote Originally Posted by kdgdid View Post
    The school would however have at least a couple of communities plus the children from the reserve attending would it not. A town of 3000 people would not have a school with 900 children.
    That is possible, and I think probably not uncommon. That would be about two adults to every child. Unfortunately poor people tend to have a lot of children. It wouldn’t surprise me of some communities might have two children to every adult.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/crime...yone-in-or-out

“Her smile will light up the room on the darkest day,” said Sandie Janvier in a Facebook message, calling her the “sweetest caring person … We lost a loving sister today.”
    La Loche Community School is for pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12, and houses approximately 900 students in two buildings
    The annual suicide rate in the Keewatin Yatthe Regional Health Authority is the highest of any health authority in Saskatchewan. The area, which includes La Loche, Buffalo Narrows, Ile a la Crosse and other communities in the province’s northwest, averaged 43.4 suicide deaths per 100,000 people between 2008 and 2012. That’s more than triple the average annual provincial rate of 12.7 suicide deaths per 100,000

Quote Originally Posted by missy1974 View Post
    sorry I didn't see this earlier.... unfortunately, I would have to agree. It's such a remote community and it has had some issues before, just not to this degree. I cannot even imagine how they were able to handle this situation today, do they even have enough medical staff? Thank goodness for STAR's.

You have been here for 10 years..... are you a Rider fan yet? lol
    Yes I bleed green lol

The shooter is younger than 21 and a former student of the school. http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/la-loche...four-1.2749245

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast