1085 users online (260 members and 825 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

UK - Mark Corley, 23, Grantham/Lincolnshire, June 2000

This UK cold case recently came to my attention. More than fifteen years after Mark Corley's murder, his father, Tony Corley, forges on in his quest for justice. Because of his father's determination, Mark's case has received good media coverage in the UK. Yet, I didn't find a thread here, or even a mention of his name. So here's what I've found so far.

Basic Facts:

Mark Corley grew up in Leicester. After his parents divorced when he was 15, he went to live with his mother, Eileen, in Grantham.

He was 23 at the time of his disappearance and murder.

Corley had a criminal record, and had served time behind bars for "theft and various assaults".

Mark Corley was reported missing in June 2000.

He disappeared after telling his mother that he had to go away for a couple of days, but couldn't say where he was headed. His mother pleaded with him not to leave because she was sure she'd never see him again.
    LINK

In December, 2000, his skeletal remains were found on remote farmland in Darlington, County Durham, (over 150 miles from Grantham).
    LINK

Corley suffered a close range gunshot wound to the head.
    LINK

Police called his death a gangland style killing.

Five suspects were charged with his murder. The case against them was thrown out in 2002 when it was discovered that LE officers secretly taped conversations between the suspects and their solicitors in exercise yards at two Lincolnshire police stations.
    LINK

Beside his parents, Corley left behind a four-year-old daughter, and his girlfriend, the child's mother.
    LINK
    Last edited by bessie; 01-23-2016 at 07:11 AM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

£20,000 reward put up for conviction of Mark Corley’s killers
    Graham Newton
    graham.newton@granthamjournal.co.uk
    17:55Wednesday 04 November 2015

The father of murdered Mark Corley says a £20,000 reward will be paid to anybody who gives evidence leading to a conviction.
    Tony Corley has been looking for justice for his 23-year-old son who was shot dead in a field in County Durham in 2000.

[...]

Mr Corley, 63, of Leicestershire, has since written a book called More Questions Than Answers? which is now available on Amazon Kindle.

Mr Corley told the Journal: “Nearly 16 years have passed since the case collapsed leaving me very frustrated, angry and bitter. I know there are people out there who know the truth, not just in Grantham. Don’t be afraid to come forward and tell the truth. Sixteen years is a long time and people change, hence the reason a close colleague has offered £20,000 reward for the successful conviction of my son’s killers.

“If for one moment I didn’t believe there wasn’t any evidence out there I wouldn’t let this reward go ahead. Does someone know you are out there? Someone just go to your local police station, clear yourself if you have good clear evidence against Mark Corley’s killers to gain a successful conviction and £20,000 will be yours.”

Grantham dad calls for fresh police investigation into killing of son
    By Grantham Target | Posted: January 14, 2015

[...]

Lincolnshire Police told the Target that they review the case periodically, but need new evidence to come to light before they can formally reopen the investigation.
    Mr Corley said: “It seems the police are not interested. They have told me the case is closed and that they are not investigating it anymore.
    “I have tried everything. I want them to issue a fresh appeal for information. They are not dealing with it. I’ve written to the Houses of Parliament and I’ve tried every way I can.
    “But there is still no improvement in the case all these years later. All I get from them is that they review the case every now and again.”

[...]

Mr Corley wants police to formally reopen the investigation, but says so far, the force has refused.

He said: “As far as I am concerned, it is just pushed under the carpet. Where are the forensics? They may have kept samples I don’t know. But there have been improvements in forensics since it happened. I will never give up trying to get justice.

“I have not contacted Crimewatch. When you watch the programme you always see the police officers that are keen to catch the culprit. Whereas in Mark’s case they don’t seem to want to do that. Once the case was all over, it was done and finished for them. I am disgusted.”

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Here's a video showing where Marks body was found in secluded farmland.

The video is excellent. Thanks for posting it.

Approximately 150 miles ftom Grantham - why so far away? That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to kill a person or to hide a body. Even more puzzling than the distant drive to the farmland, is the long walk to the site where Tom's remains were found deep in the fields. It doesn't appear consistent with a gangland-style killing over "petty differences". I get the impression of a more organized and calculated plot.
    Last edited by bessie; 01-24-2016 at 07:46 AM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

The judge said the facts were that a young man had been "executed by a brutal shooting". He said the prosecution alleged it had happened because of petty differences connected with claims that one of the defendants had been assaulted earlier by Mr Corley, and that the courts had failed to provide justice.

The judge said another defendant might also have objected to his girlfriend continuing to associate with Mr Corley.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jan/30/markoliver

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Whenever I see victims left in secluded, remote areas I always think 'local.' Who else would know?
    "Fall down seven times, get up eight."

"To make matters worse, it appears that the Crown’s case was so strong it didn’t actually need any of the illegal material. One of the men even intended to turn Queen’s evidence against his co-accused."

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/sound-judgment-1-620332

Quote Originally Posted by Ekkwhine View Post
    "To make matters worse, it appears that the Crown’s case was so strong it didn’t actually need any of the illegal material. One of the men even intended to turn Queen’s evidence against his co-accused."

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/sound-judgment-1-620332

What a sad case. If indeed these men were guilty... jeez

Marks name didnt ring a bell, and after googling, his picture didnt either. Granted I was fairly young then but still I tend to remember names of victims in the UK quite easily.

Came across this interesting piece which has quotes from both marks mum and one of the accused.

http://www.innocent.org.uk/misc/pii.html

Red face

Here's a very interesting article outlining a lot of details:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/so...gment-1-620332