1147 users online (215 members and 932 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

NE - Lucas 'Luke' Sawyer, 20, Gretna, 22 January 2016

Lucas “Luke” Sawyer

Marine reservist missing since Friday

Gretna, Nebraska -
    A Marine reservist has gone missing while heading to east Des Moines.

Lucas “Luke” Sawyer, 20, of Gretna, Nebraska, was headed to the Marine Reserve Center in Des Moines around 9 a.m. on Jan. 22, but he never showed up.

Family members said they received a message around 1:38 p.m. from Sgt. Ty Campbell, saying he was unable to reach Sawyer.

Family members said Sawyer does not suffer from any chronic illnesses, though he was physically ill when he departed for training.

“I know that Lucas gave my mom and dad a big hug before leaving home Friday and said, ‘I love you,’” said Sawyer’s sister. “That’s the typical routine, though. Nothing was different about his behavior. He packs up his gear and uniforms for training, gives a hug and hops in his truck. But what was different about this time was that he had a viral infection. My mom says he was running a 102 (degree) fever and had been puking. So on his way there, he’d stop for that.”

http://www.kcci.com/news/marine-rese...riday/37616366

From KETV NewsWatch 7 -
    This case hits VERY close to home for us here at KETV, as Luke's sister Lauren is a member of our news team. PLEASE spread the word; if you know something, call the Sarpy County Sheriff's Office at 402-593-4111.

https://www.facebook.com/ketv7/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Sawyer was last seen driving a 2004 white Chevy 1500 pickup.

He is described as 5 feet 6 inches tall.

http://www.kcci.com/news/marine-rese...riday/37616366

Wow driving with such high fever is no joke. I hope he didn't have an accident.

This case really hurts me, and draws my attention. A young man who is completely responsible, has to drive back despite the fact that he's very ill, and would have to stop and vomit along the way according to his family.

I ache for him, and his family. I guess the military can't give a man who has a 102 fever and vomits a pass from driving to get back to base until the next day.

I grew up in a military family, and this is the exact reason I didn't want my 3 sons to be in the military. Because it's deadly. Not only on the battlefield, but in the states you are required to drive there with a serious illness.

Prayers this young man is found alive, maybe at a hospital. Can we give these military men, who sacrifice so much, a LITTLE BIT OF A PASS if they have 102 degree fever?

Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    This case really hurts me, and draws my attention. A young man who is completely responsible, has to drive back despite the fact that he's very ill, and would have to stop and vomit along the way according to his family.

I ache for him, and his family. I guess the military can't give a man who has a 102 fever and vomits a pass from driving to get back to base until the next day.

I grew up in a military family, and this is the exact reason I didn't want my 3 sons to be in the military. Because it's deadly. Not only on the battlefield, but in the states you are required to drive there with a serious illness.

Prayers this young man is found alive, maybe at a hospital. Can we give these military men, who sacrifice so much, a LITTLE BIT OF A PASS if they have 102 degree fever?
    My son is a reservist and he just has to call his CO if he's sick. He just has to make up drill at another time instead.

Couldn't a family member or friend drive him? Or take the train, bus, taxi?

All the articles that had his name/city in them are all pulling up dead links for me now (I tried 3)...no updates.

Just totally removed articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    There is no Amtrak service to Des Moines.

Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    If he woke up sick, or didn't realize how sick he was until he got up in the morning, it may have been too late for all of the above options, especially since Friday is a work day so many people would probably have their own work expectations/demands.

Plus it means someone w/ the flexibility, gas money, etc. who can drive Gretna to Des Moines and back Friday, and then again round trip to pick him up again also. I'd imagine that alone rules out friends completely for most young people.

So with the half hour or so only that I put looking into options, I have to say I'm not at all shocked he decided to make the drive himself.

Taxi fare showed $450+ from Gretna to Des Moines, which I'd think would be prohibitive for most individuals.

And while there may have been others, it appears from the first many google options given:

He'd have had to have gotten a ride or taken a taxi (not sure the availability of those in a relatively small town at that hour?) to Omaha (20-30 minutes depending on traffic)

He'd have to have been there (Omaha) by 5 am (which likely not have been a possibility if got sick - or realized how sick he was - overnight or upon waking, which would have been too late if he wasn't up by about 4 am)

Then leaving there about 5:15 am, he'd have had to have spent nearly 7 hours on a mix of bus/train/foot to get from Omaha to Des Moines, and then get to base/training on that end. https://www.google.com/search?q=gret...+des+moines+ia

If got sick overnight or in the early morning hours, those probably weren't options based on the time frame, I'd imagine - since he'd probably not have known he'd have to be up and out that early, etc. and gotten someone to drive him to Omaha at that hour.

It doesn't totally shock me that a young, otherwise strong and healthy military guy, would probably think he could tough out a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive if there may not have seemed many viable (and in at least one case, extremely extremely costly) alternatives.

Especially when the thought of needing to vomit constantly for nearly 4x the total length of time - in public transport and possibly a costly taxi to even get to Omaha - probably sounded far worse than having more control over it and being able to stop and drive himself.

But that's JMO.

And like I said, maybe more time spent looking would turn up other options, but none of the others I saw were any better than the above. But I'm not a local so...maybe there are others

This is so bizarre, every news link I click says page not found, but from comments under his sisters missing post as of 3 hrs ago, he was still missing. And wow are people sharing her post! It's good to see such a caring community!

Public transportation is not great as far as I know.

So what are they thinking the possibilities are? He got into an accident? If so, wouldn't he have been located in a hospital by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabirey View Post
    This is so bizarre, every news link I click says page not found, but from comments under his sisters missing post as of 3 hrs ago, he was still missing. And wow are people sharing her post! It's good to see such a caring community!
    I noticed earlier that many of the news stories were missing. Very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post
    I noticed earlier that many of the news stories were missing. Very odd.
    Quite odd considering that his sister was an intern at one of the news stations that the story has been pulled from. I'm hoping that means that he's been found safe within the past few hours.

Lucas has been found deceased, according to family on facebook. Rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle4 View Post
    Lucas has been found deceased, according to family on facebook. Rest in peace.
    Very sad. I can't find any references, anywhere on his family facebook pages that he's been located but you must have a link I don't have.

Rest in peace, Luke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast