GUILTY NC - Jefferson Heavner, 26, shot, killed by drunk driver, Catawba County, 22 Jan 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Apparently no good deed goes unpunished...

635890979221658594-marvin-lee.jpg

Marvin Lee

Catawba County, North Carolina -
The Catawba County Sheriff’s Office says a 27-year-old Good Samaritan was shot and killed yesterday by a man he stopped to help.

The victim has been identified as 27-year-old Jefferson Heavner of Newton.

Investigators say the suspect, Marvin Jacob Lee, has been charged with first-degree murder and will appear in a Catawba County court on Monday. The sheriff’s office says Lee was drunk when he ran his vehicle off the side of Mathis Church Road during the snowstorm on Friday afternoon.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/crim...samaritan-killed-intoxicated-driver/79209052/

Thanks los2188.....I read about this earlier.....why is our world so cruel anymore? Good Samaritan murdered - this is so wrong. It's just plain, freakin wrong.

So often you hear stories about people being hurt and ignored by passersby. Those stories always make my blood boil but cases like this is exactly why people don't help! They fear for themselves if they get involved. It is so sad people are hurt or lose their lives just trying to be a decent human being. How awful rip

Plus, he had a toddler son.
What a horrible and disgusting act -- if this doesn't merit the death penalty-- I don't know what does.
And I do not care if M.L. was drinking. When ones chooses to drink and go out driving, one is responsible for whatever happens next.
My .02.

Rest in peace, Jefferson ! My sympathies to your loved ones and especially your little guy ! :(

From June:

Prosecutors won’t seek death penalty in Good Samaritan killing

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article81300817.html

Prosecutors have decided not to seek the death penalty against a Claremont man accused of killing a Good Samaritan on an icy Catawba County road in January.

Marvin Jacob Lee, 28, still faces the possibility of life in prison without parole, prosecutors said in announcing their decision not to pursue capital punishment against Lee.

Lee also faces charges of attempted first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and discharging a weapon into an occupied vehicle. He remained in the Catawba County Jail without bail Thursday.

Reduced bond considered for alleged Good Samaritan shooter

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/news/reduced-bond-considered-for-alleged-good-samaritan-shooter/article_3c6c5a16-3df3-11e6-b19e-3f07bcedd1ff.html

NC man who gunned down Good Samaritan in snowstorm sentenced to prison

A North Carolina man who gunned down a Good Samaritan during a snowstorm will spend at least 14 years in prison.

Marvin Jacob Lee admitted on Wednesday to fatally shooting 26-year-old Jefferson Lee Heavner on an icy Catawba County road in January 2016.

Lee, 29, of Claremont, was sentenced after pleading guilty to second-degree murder and two counts of discharging a weapon into an occupied vehicle, the Catawba County District Attorney’s Office said.

Claremont man pleads guilty to 2016 murder, victim’s family gains closure

At almost two years to the day, the family of Jefferson Heavner can finally find some closure after Marvin Jacob Lee, of Claremont, pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of Heavner in Catawba County Superior Court on Wednesday afternoon.

“He meant the world to me,” his cousin said, adding that Heavner was thoughtful and kind. “I didn’t just lose a cousin. I lost a best friend.”

When his mother spoke, she shared how his 3-year-old son will never know his father, but they will be sure to share the memories they have of Heavner with him.

“In order for my life to move on, I have to forgive,” she added. “And I do.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back