647 users online (83 members and 564 guests)  

Websleuths News

CO - TED KACZYNSKI, The Unabomber 1980's-'90's

Report details Unabomber's handwritten prison correspondence
    Updated 5:11 am, Monday, January 25, 2016

FLORENCE, Colo. (AP) — In handwritten letters to hundreds of supporters and curiosity seekers, Unabomber Ted Kaczynski expressed shock over the 9/11 attacks and wrote that he preferred Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama in the 2008 Democratic presidential race.

Kaczynski also wrote to pen pals from federal prison in Colorado asking for more information about Osama bin Laden and the origins of al-Qaida, and has relied on others to inform him about the rise of the Internet and social media.

The correspondence was described in a report published by Yahoo News (http://www.yahoo.com/unabomber) early Monday. Yahoo News reporter Holly Bailey spent several weeks looking through Kaczynski's letters, which now fill more than 90 boxes at the University of Michigan Library.

The Labadie Collection, a special division of the library that documents the history of social protest movements, contacted him after his arrest to see if he would consider donating his writings. Kaczynski did not respond to a letter from Yahoo News asking why he has maintained the archive through the library.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Letters from a serial killer: Inside the Unabomber archive
    By Holly Bailey
    5 hours ago
    Yahoo News

It has been almost 20 years since Ted Kaczynski’s trail of terror came to an end. Now a huge trove of his personal writings has come to light, revealing the workings of his mind — and the life he leads behind bars.

From his prison cell, Ted Kaczynski — the “Unabomber,” who terrified the nation in the 1980s and early 1990s — has carried on a remarkable correspondence with thousands of people all over the world. As the 20th anniversary of his arrest approaches, Yahoo News is publishing a series of articles based on his letters and other writings, housed in an archive at the University of Michigan. They shed unprecedented light on the mind of Kaczynski — genius, madman and murderer.

On Sept. 11, 2001, Kaczynski awoke around dawn inside the 12-by-7-foot cell where he spends 23 hours a day in the most secure wing of the United States Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX) in Florence, Colo., home to some of the most dangerous criminals in the country.

As the “Unabomber” — a name bestowed on him by the media based on the FBI’s UNABOM (University and Airline Bomber) investigation — Kaczynski had terrified the nation and eluded and taunted federal authorities from 1978 to 1995 with a series of fatal mail and package bombs, a campaign motivated by his hatred of modern technological society. In his cell he had a 12-inch television and radio, a reward for good behavior. He liked to listen to classical music on a public radio station out of nearby Colorado Springs, where he once mailed a song request that went ignored. But on Sept. 11, when he turned the radio on, it wasn’t Vivaldi or one of the other composers he favors. It was newscasters describing in stunned tones how passenger jetliners had been hijacked and flown into the Twin Towers in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington, killing nearly 3,000 people on the ground and in the air.

[...]

In his tiny cell, Kaczynski sat and listened to the radio as the dramatic events of 9/11 played out. The event fascinated him, according to letters he exchanged with pen pals over the following months. He scrambled for information about Osama bin Laden and radical Islam and weighed in on al-Qaida’s motivation and strategy to those who wrote him.
    But unlike many Americans who experienced the horrors of 9/11 so vividly through live television, Kaczynski chose only to imagine the depths of the calamity. He did not see the footage of the jets hitting the buildings, the black smoke slowly rising from the New York skyline as two icons of the financial world burned, or the cloud of acrid dust that suffocated lower Manhattan. Kaczynski not only distrusted the media, but he also saw television as one of the evils of the technological society he had long railed against. So, on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, he chose not to turn on his television. It was a matter of principle — and principles in Ted Kaczynski’s life were always more important than normal human emotions, like curiosity, love for his family or pity for his victims.

[...]

Over the next week, a series of articles will probe Kaczynski’s evolving thoughts about technology, his life behind bars, and his relationships with his family, his defense team and a woman who fell in love with him through his letters.

The collection of letters dates back to April 1996, just days after Kaczynski was arrested at his secluded cabin by federal agents acting on a tip from his brother. David Kaczynski contacted authorities after noting similarities between the language in the Unabomber’s manifesto (published, at the Unabomber’s demand, by the New York Times and Washington Post) and the ranting letters he had received from his estranged and reclusive older brother. With the exception of two angry letters Ted sent to David after learning he had turned him in, the Unabomber has never again spoken to the younger brother who once idolized him, and he ignored repeated desperate overtures from his mother, Wanda, who wrote him constantly until she died in 2011.

The series:

Monday, January 25 - A tale of two brothers >>>
    Tuesday, January 26 - The Unabomber’s ‘Lady Love’
    Wednesday, January 27 - Kaczynski and his lawyers
    Thursday, January 28 - The Unabomber: Lost in cyberspace
    Friday, January 29 - Life behind bars
    Saturday, January 30 - Unabomber's media strategy

Much more, including 14 pages of letters penned by Kaczynski, at the link
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Thanks for these, bessie. I've been reading on them a little along, as it's a lot. Fascinating and sad, though. I had no idea all this was being archived.

I've been meaning to read the John Douglas/Mark Olshaker book on TK, think this will spur me on to do so.

Ted Kaczynski, known as the "Unabomber," apparently sent a hand-written letter to New Yorker writer Lawrence Wright, reports CBSNews correspondent Anna Werner. It has likely been sent to several other journalists. In it, Kaczynski attacks his brother who helped authorities end the bombing spree, once again standing by his belief that he is not crazy.

In the letter, Kaczynski wrote: "...I am ready to speak to someone from the media regarding my brother's recent comments and to discuss how they are being used to torment me."

Kaczynski list his conditions for granting an interview, including "tell me who you are," "why I should trust you," and "[affirm] that you understand that I am NOT mentally ill."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/unabombe...ainst-brother/

This looks fascinating, Bessie. Will dig into it this weekend. The Yahoo link didn't work, for me. Went to their home page. This one should work: https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-unabo...10.html?ref=gs

I don't think of Kaczynski as a serial killer. He's in some other category, imo. His motivations were socio-political. Maybe terrorist is a better word. It's been many years since I read anything about him and there's a lot about his life that rang alarm bells. Trauma when hospitalized as a baby; subjected to psychological torture in some mind control experiment at Harvard which had a horrendous impact on him; very odd mother and what amounted to survivalist camping trips growing up. It all seemed to push him over the edge of paranoia. I once read a little of his manifesto (very long) and it was brilliant. A compelling writer. No sign of delusional thinking. While it was a long time ago, when I read it I was in total agreement with everything he was saying! No sympathy for his crimes, of course, but found his concerns about the impact of technology to be spot on. I'm going to look it up and read the whole thing to better put his correspondence in context before I read that. I have a feeling that it (the manifesto) will be even more true, today. It was very visionary. So awful that his brilliant mind took such a dark turn and destroyed so many people (both his victims and family).

ETA: The manifesto - http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
    Last edited by Artis; 05-28-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Adding link