OR - Militia members occupy federal building in Oregon after protest #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us-building-in-oregon-after-protest/78226600/

"A protest in support of Oregon ranchers facing jail time for arson has escalated into an armed takeover of a federal wildlife building and an anti-government call-to-arms." More at the link...

(CNN)Armed anti-government protesters have taken over a building in a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon, accusing officials of unfairly punishing ranchers who refused to sell their land.

One them is Ammon Bundy, the 40-year-old son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who is well-known for anti-government action.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/03/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/

Among the occupiers are several members of the Bundy family, whose patriarch — Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy — was involved in an armed standoff with government agents over grazing rights in 2014.

[...]

“The Refuge represents a crucial stop along the Pacific Flyway and offers resting, breeding, and nesting habitat for hundreds of migratory birds and other wildlife,” a statement on the site says. “Many of the species migrating through or breeding here are highlighted as priority species in national bird conservation plans.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-take-over-federal-building-in-rural-oregon/

Thread #1

Today is Monday, 25 January, 2016 and people who have been following along know there is a community meeting scheduled for later today at the Senior Center in Burns.

However, it has been cancelled!

Oregon community meeting on wildlife refuge standoff canceled
January 24, 2016 - 10:32pm
By Marian Green
Las Vegas Review-Journal

“A community meeting slated Monday night in Burns, Ore., to discuss the ongoing standoff with an armed militia group occupying a federal wildlife refuge has been canceled over concerns for public safety.

The occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge by a militia group led by Ammon Bundy and Ryan Bundy is entering its fourth week.”

“Harney County Judge Steve Grasty announced the community meeting's cancellation in a Sunday news release. "Preparations to protest and block entrance to the Senior Center have led me to determine that it's time to take a time out," the release stated.

The move is prudent, Grasty said in the release, "in order to maintain the safety of our community and everyone in it, and because an open and honest conversation cannot take place in this type of atmosphere. Further, I will not give these agitators what they want most, which is attention."”​

More...

In this recent video, Santilli confronts a couple of opposition protesters at the refuge of being FBI agents and attempts to incite the crowd of militia men and women. Near the end you can hear the Sharp Family Singers start to sing and at the very end you can see them. They are Bundy followers, they were at Cliven Bundy event. Odalis Sharp and Timothy Sharp and their nine children go around singing. Odalis has a tenth one who ran away a few years ago and for whom she was found to be an abusive and neglectful parent by the Kansas Department of Children and Families. (She appealed and lost.)

I had read that they were seen at the refuge but this is the first irrefutable evidence of such. Grown men cowering behind children?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4W48Ki2OMpI

So I missed this article until now. Actually, now that I think about it, this is the same Associated Press article I linked to in the previous thread except that version left out the part about the singing family.

Rancher renounces contract, siblings sing at Bundy event
It was originally announced 2 ranchers would renounce contract

Associated Press
Published: January 23, 2016, 5:18 pm Updated: January 24, 2016, 10:48 pm

http://koin.com/2016/01/23/rancher-renounces-contract-at-bundy-event/

“The Sharp family, a group made up of siblings ages 6-20, came all the way from Kansas for Saturday’s event. The youngsters stayed overnight at the compound.

Emmelina Sharp and her siblings held their hands and hats over their hearts as they sang for the crowd.

“We sing just to bless people,” Emmelina told KOIN 6 News.

She also sang praises for Ryan Bundy, who she said fixed their car after a breakdown.

“He fixed the transmission for us,” she said. “We went back to Cliven’s ranch and sang their for the national day of prayer.””​

In this recent video, Santilli confronts a couple of opposition protesters at the refuge of being FBI agents and attempts to incite the crowd of militia men and women. Near the end you can hear the Sharp Family Singers start to sing and at the very end you can see them. They are Bundy followers, they were at Cliven Bundy event. Odalis Sharp and Timothy Sharp and their nine children go around singing. Odalis has a tenth one who ran away a few years ago and for whom she was found to be an abusive and neglectful parent by the Kansas Department of Children and Families. (She appealed and lost.)

I had read that they were seen at the refuge but this is the first irrefutable evidence of such. Grown men cowering behind children?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4W48Ki2OMpI

I tried to watch the video. It reminded me too much of a Real Housewives episode so I couldn't finish.

Has no one taken their children away from them?

Burns Paiute Tribe to the feds: stop allowing Bundy free passage
By Luke Hammill | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on January 25, 2016 at 10:07 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/burns_paiute_tribe_to_the_feds.html

“BURNS — The Burns Paiute Tribe has added its name to the chorus of voices growing impatient with the federal government's low-profile response to the armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

In a letter dated Friday to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, the tribe demanded that law enforcement officials stop allowing Arizona businessman Ammon Bundy and his gang of protesters free passage to and from the federal bird santuary.

The tribe also told the government that it is obligated under its treaty with the Northern Paiutes to inflict punishement for "any crime or injury...perpetrated by any white man upon the Indians."

"The land on which the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is located is in the heart of our tribe's ancestral territory," wrote Charlotte Roderique, chair of the tribe. "This is sacred place to the Burns Paiute Tribe. The refuge and the refuge buildings hold invaluable, irreplaceable and endangered aspects of the tribe's cultural heritage."”​

More ...

I tried to watch the video. It reminded me too much of a Real Housewives episode so I couldn't finish.

Has no one taken their children away from them?

The case was specific to the one (child) at that time. Investigation of the whole family did not find cause to remove other children. That is the impression I got. The family seems quite talented to me. I just think they are kind of zealots.

Really good long article! Also, a short audio segment from the report.

Meet The Women Of The Occupied Refuge
Oregon Public Broadcasting
by Amanda Peacher OPB | Jan. 22, 2016 4:52 p.m. | Updated: Jan. 25, 2016 9:54 a.m.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...-of-the-occupied-refuge/#.VqZoMCJZpOY.twitter

“Kristi Jernigan arrived alone at the Redmond airport from Tennessee with nothing but a carry-on bag and her Bible. This was the 44-year-old soccer mom’s first trip out west, and she didn’t know what to expect when she arrived at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge during the second week of the armed occupation.
“I just knew that God said, ‘Go,” said Jernigan, a Christian missionary. “He didn’t say how to go, or why to go, he just said go.”

Her frustrations with the federal government had been percolating for some time. Finally, here was an opportunity to protest what she sees as federal oppression and to simultaneously “edify, lift up and exhort people in Christ.”​

Much more...

Of course these mama boys need women to cook, clean and serve. They have been taken care of all of their lives.

Entitled twits

Oregon standoff: Ranchers, including ex-con, renounce grazing permits

By Les Zaitz | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on January 24, 2016 at 5:15 PM, updated January 25, 2016 at 10:28 AM

This is an update of an article that may or may not have been posted yesterday on the previous thread. I think it belongs in the current discussion.

BURNS – The protesters holding the wildlife refuge had nine ranchers in two states Saturday renounce their grazing privileges and they promise more will do so in the coming week, a symbolic step toward their avowed goal of shaking federal control of ranchland.

The gesture is likely to accomplish little more than tangling the ranchers in even more bureaucracy. Federal agencies that issue grazing permits have byzantine administrative procedures to haul into compliance errant ranchers.​

Has some info about Sewell and Finicum.

Today's things to think about:

#1 - “The militants plan to hold a public meeting Tuesday evening at the John Day Senior Center, in Grant County, where they will urge residents to form a Committee of Safety — another extralegal maneuver that would essentially form a shadow government in anticipation of the elected government’s failure or removal.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/ore...county-where-theyve-found-a-friendly-sheriff/

Remember, Bundy set up a Committee of Safety in Harney County a couple of weeks before the takeover of the Refuge.​

#2 - “Sheriff Glenn Palmer (Sheriff of Grant County) has told The Oregonian that “the government is going to have to concede something” to end the three-week-old occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Preserve.

He suggested they start by releasing Dwight and Steven Hammond, a father-son ranching duo serving prison terms for arson on public land, and then sending home the FBI, which is directing the law enforcement response to the occupation.

The militants attempted to make inroads in Grant County on Jan. 12, when Palmer said he was unwittingly invited to a lunch meeting with Ryan Payne and Jon Ritzheimer, two military veterans helping to lead the occupation, and about 10 local residents.

Ritzheimer said Palmer — who was named “Constitutional Sheriff of the Year” by an anti-government group in 2011 — asked him and Payne to autograph his pocket Constitution, an annotated copy of the founding document conspicuously carried by all the militants.”

#3 - Former Undersheriff Todd McKinley has filed to run against current Sheriff Glenn Palmer.
Blue Mountain Eagle
January 25, 2016

“Former Grant County Undersheriff Todd McKinley filed to run for sheriff Monday, Jan. 25.”

In a written statement, McKinley said he decided to run after witnessing the “audacity of individuals who think they can dictate the course of Grant County, without the input of all.”

“When I took my first oath of office as a reserve deputy on April 3, 2000, it was that I would support the Constitution and the laws of the United States and of the state of Oregon, and to honestly and faithfully perform the duties imposed upon the member under the laws of Oregon,” he said in the statement. “I do not remember that there were any clauses that told me this was optional, and up to my interpretation of the Constitution and laws.”

http://www.bluemountaineagle.com/Lo...ersheriff-files-to-run-against-sheriff-palmer

Malheur Occupation’s ‘Heartbreaking’ Impact On County Schools
by John Sepulvado OPB | Jan. 25, 2016 3:28 p.m.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...-updates/teachers-guns-harney-county-schools/

“With five months until the end of the school year, January is normally a time when students are telling Harney County Schools Superintendent Marilyn McBride about their plans for summer camps and colleges, or asking questions about upcoming class trips.

Yet, as almost a month has passed since the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge began, the conversation on campus has turned towards concerns about future violence.

“I had a conversation with a high school student,” McBride told OPB, “and she wanted to know if someone entered the school with a gun, what was she to do. And I had a 5-year-old come up to me and say she couldn’t sleep at night, because someone was watching her in the trees.”​

More...

Good grief. This is turning into a horror movie. Burns residents must feel as if the aliens have invaded.

Malheur Occupation’s ‘Heartbreaking’ Impact On County Schools
by John Sepulvado OPB | Jan. 25, 2016 3:28 p.m.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...-updates/teachers-guns-harney-county-schools/

“With five months until the end of the school year, January is normally a time when students are telling Harney County Schools Superintendent Marilyn McBride about their plans for summer camps and colleges, or asking questions about upcoming class trips.

Yet, as almost a month has passed since the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge began, the conversation on campus has turned towards concerns about future violence.

“I had a conversation with a high school student,” McBride told OPB, “and she wanted to know if someone entered the school with a gun, what was she to do. And I had a 5-year-old come up to me and say she couldn’t sleep at night, because someone was watching her in the trees.”​

More...
This is so heartbreaking. Those poor children caught in the middle of something so scary. Even if the occupation ends tomorrow they will have scares to last a lifetime.

So the sheriff in the next county "unwittingly" just stumbled into some sort of picnic lunch these guys were having, whips out his own weird mm copy of the Constitution for the privilege of their autographs... and invites them over to his own county to host one of their organizing I mean safety meetings.

What????? Who believes this garbage?!?

Also may I add that $1.69 A MONTH per PAIR for the feed of two extremely large animals (calves are large imo!) who will end up being sold per head for significantly more per pound, well it just boggles my mind! Quite the profit margin there.... Yet these guys feel oppressed.

I realize ranching is a hard way of life, nothing cushy about it, and there are other costs like labor, equipment, and vet care-- but these people CHOSE to pursue this lifestyle.

I think they're getting a great deal from the (FEDERAL!) government that they wish to denounce and defame.
;(

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st..._standoff_venue_changes.html#incart_big-photo

BURNS — The armed group holding the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge may find a positive reception from some Grant County officials and residents when occupiers travel to John Day today and hold a meeting. But they'll also have to contend with counter-protesters who feel the militants should stay away.

The meeting, scheduled for 6 p.m. at the John Day Senior Center, would officially mark the public spread of the occupiers' cause beyond Harney County, where they have held the bird sanctuary since Jan. 2 in protest of the federal government's land-use policies and the imprisonment of two local ranchers.

So the sheriff in the next county "unwittingly" just stumbled into some sort of picnic lunch these guys were having, whips out his own weird mm copy of the Constitution for the privilege of their autographs... and invites them over to his own county to host one of their organizing I mean safety meetings.

What????? Who believes this garbage?!?

Also may I add that $1.69 A MONTH per PAIR for the feed of two extremely large animals (calves are large imo!) who will end up being sold per head for significantly more per pound, well it just boggles my mind! Quite the profit margin there.... Yet these guys feel oppressed.

I realize ranching is a hard way of life, nothing cushy about it, and there are other costs like labor, equipment, and vet care-- but these people CHOSE to pursue this lifestyle.

I think they're getting a great deal from the (FEDERAL!) government that they wish to denounce and defame.
;(
This is what really gets me. From what I am reading it is much cheaper for them to pay grazing fees then it is to own thier own land for thier cattle. I cannot imagine ranchers that own thier own land (paying taxes on it, and all the cost of the upkeep of the land) can be supporting these greedy ranchers.
I'm pretty sure that when the cattle go to market they get the same price per pound weather the rancher is paying thier own way, or weather the cattle are grazed on federal land and refusing to pay thier fees.
I sure would like to an article regarding the opinions of ranchers that are paying taxes and upkeep on thier land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10