Identified! NY - Buffalo, Pauline & Kensington, NativeFem 20-25, 565UFNY, narrow nose, jogging suit, Mar'89 - Sonya Yvette Archie

Romulus

Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 565UFNY

565UFNY.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim by the FBI

Unidentified White with Possibly Hispanic
or Native American Female

• The victim was discovered on March 25, 1989 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York
  • Manner of Death: Homicide
  • State of Remains: Skeletal

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 20 - 25 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"-5'5"; 100-120 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black curly shoulder-length hair; brown eyes. A long little nose with thin nostrils.
  • Clothing: Blue-colored polyester jogging outfit with gray stripes on the sleeves (size medium);
    "Zipcode" brand top (size small); "Coqui" brand pants; and white thermal underwear (size medium).
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Available. Near perfect white teeth; no cavities; good oral hygiene.
  • DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located in a vacant lot on the corner of Pauline and Kensington, in Buffalo, New York on March 25, 1989.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Buffalo Police Department
Cold Case Unit
716-851-4511

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 89-032

NCIC Number: U-352065629
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
WIVB

Link
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/565ufny.html

How sure are they about designating her as primarily of Native descent? Has any DNA testing aside from sequencing and entry into CODIS databases been done to further explore her ancestry? Given the location, it's equally plausible that she was a Native American from nearby or Latina--perhaps Puerto Rican as there's a sizable PR community there. I'd be curious to see what else is known about her background.

Huh. Never heard of this Jane Doe before! Hopefully she will be identified soon. DNA Doe Project maybe?

I wonder if this doe might be a match to Josephine Doris Despard? The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The vitals largely match and Olean, where Josephine disappeared, is not that far from Buffalo. Josephine disappeared 5 years before the discovery of this UID, but there is no estimated year of death or PMI. I am also not sure how reliable the ethnicity is for this UID given the skeletal state of the remains.

Also, here is the matching missing thread: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ny-josephine-despard-26-olean-7-feb-1984.305858/

Last edited:
What do you think? Jane Doe face shape and features reminds me of 21 year old Kathryn Knox Zedick, missing in the same area since 1983. She does not have native features as it is described Jane Doe might have but as these were skeletal remains there might be margin for an error.

Kathryn has been added to namus just in 2019.
upload_2020-1-4_23-9-56.png upload_2020-1-4_23-10-40.png

Buffalo Police seek help solving 36 year old cold case

To add: I have just checked google maps and it is about 14 min where Kathryn was last seen from where Jane Doe remains were found.

خرائط ‪Google

Kathryn websleuths thread - NY - NY - Kathryn Grace Zedick, 21, Buffalo, June 1, 1983 ‬‏‏‬‏‏

Last edited:
I definitely see the resemblance to Kathryn and the location and state of the body make sense as well. I'm a bit new here, how do you look up exclusions?

I also found this possibility...

Kimberly Ann Thompson – The Charley Project

Exclusions or rule outs are possible to see in NamUs profile but only if you are registered there. Maybe someone who is registered (I am unable to) will post them here.

What do you think? Jane Doe face shape and features reminds me of 21 year old Kathryn Knox Zedick, missing in the same area since 1983. ‬‏‏‬‏‏

I see some resemblance. Noting the UID was skeletal though, so don't get hung up on the 'decorative features'.

One major standout though - the UID had black hair and Kathryn appears to be a natural redhead. Had she dyed her hair at the time she was missing (or conversely was the UID's hair dyed)?

Something interesting to note is that her pants are a brand called "Coqui". When I look this up, everything seems to be related to Puerto Rico. There is and I'm sure back then also was a large Puerto Rican population in Buffalo. It would also fit with the ethnicity as described.

What do you think? Jane Doe face shape and features reminds me of 21 year old Kathryn Knox Zedick, missing in the same area since 1983. She does not have native features as it is described Jane Doe might have but as these were skeletal remains there might be margin for an error.

Kathryn has been added to namus just in 2019.
View attachment 223717 View attachment 223718

Buffalo Police seek help solving 36 year old cold case

To add: I have just checked google maps and it is about 14 min where Kathryn was last seen from where Jane Doe remains were found.

خرائط ‪Google

Kathryn websleuths thread - NY - NY - Kathryn Grace Zedick, 21, Buffalo, June 1, 1983 ‬‏‏‬‏‏
Srong resemblance worth looking into

565UFNY - Unidentified Female
565UFNY.jpg
565UFNY1.jpg
565UFNY2.jpg

Reconstructions of the victim (left by the FBI).

Date of Discovery: March 25, 1989
Location of Discovery: Buffalo, Erie County, New York
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 20-25 years old
Race: Native American, possibly White and/or Hispanic
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2" to 5'5"
Weight: 100 to 120 lbs.
Hair Color: Black, coarse and curly, shoulder-length.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Small nose with thin nostrils.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Near perfect white teeth; no cavities; good oral hygiene.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue-colored polyester jogging outfit with gray stripes on the sleeves (size medium); Zipcode brand top (size small); Coqui brand pants; and white thermal underwear (size medium).
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was located in a vacant lot on the corner of Pauline and Kensington, in Buffalo, New York on March 25, 1989.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Erie County Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Mary Evans
Agency Phone Number: 716-961-7591 or 716-851-4511
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 89-045

Agency Name: Buffalo Police Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 716-851-4511
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 89-032

NCIC Case Number: U352065629
NamUs Case Number: 12703

Information Source(s)
NamUs
WIVB
565UFNY

Race: Native American, possibly White and/or Hispanic

I'm local, had never heard of this one before. The area she was found in was/is not the primarily latino/PR area of the city. Not sure it's significant because obviously people leave their neighborhoods but seeing that her ethnicity and the latino community has been referenced, I figured I'd throw that info out there, especially since I just saw that she's actually listed as native first and it jumped out at me.

We are actually SURROUNDED by reservations. There are all about 45 minutes away, depending on where you're coming from. It's a thing around here: go to the rez for cheap gas and tobacco. Lots of people in and out.

If she's from one of them I doubt she'll ever be identified, simply due to the cultural separation and time. I imagine that during an initial investigation the reservations were checked for missing people but it probably stopped there. Native people, especially women, who are murdered or missing are so often disregarded.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back