John Hinckley

Jules

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
WASHINGTON (AP) -- John Hinckley still thinks women are making romantic overtures to him when they are not, the kind of misperception that led him to shoot President Reagan 24 years ago, a prosecutor argued Tuesday.

In federal court, Hinckley's lawyer said the presidential assailant's interactions with women pose no danger to anyone and that Hinckley should be granted extended visits to his parents' home in Virginia.

U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman is considering whether to allow Hinckley to make six trips to his parents' home in Williamsburg, Virginia, a three-hour drive from the forensic hospital where the presidential assailant has been held.

In 1981, Hinckley was suffering from major depression and a psychotic disorder that led to an obsession with actress Jodie Foster. Hinckley, found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1982, said he shot Reagan to impress Foster.

"He continues to misunderstand his relationships with women," said assistant U.S. attorney Thomas Zeno, who argued against extending Hinckley's visits. What in other people might be simple juvenile behavior "cannot be shrugged off."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/27/hinckley.romance.ap/index.html

I wonder how the docs convince him nurses and staff are not romantically interested? Aren't there likely nutty fans that would be interested? Seems to be reason enough to worry that he may shoot someone else to impress a girl.

Are other patients who are committed to forensic hospitals routinely let out for unsupervised visits? I never heard of such a thing. Either he's well enough to be out or he's not. Sounds like he's not.

I wonder what kind of intervention was necessary? Physically separating him from the intern and the chaplain? If so, he's not ready.

Mabel said:
Are other patients who are committed to forensic hospitals routinely let out for unsupervised visits? I never heard of such a thing. Either he's well enough to be out or he's not. Sounds like he's not.
I don't know. I imagine it is a way to reintroduce him to society. He has been allowed to go stay with his parents though I personally believe his desire is not to visit his parents but more to eventually be free.
I haven't read where it is his Drs wanting this. I think it is more along the lines of his attorney trying to get it.

I wonder what Jodie Foster thinks about Hinkley being granted home visits
by the judge to his parents' home??:confused:

i am sorry to see this happen, and i had the Exact same thought about jodie foster!

Very unfair to allow him home visits on the weekends. Does James Brady get to be un-permanently disabled from the gunshot on the weekends?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back