Scientists Photograph Giant Squid in Wild

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Scientists Photograph Giant Squid in Wild

TOKYO - A pair of Japanese scientists have photographed for the first time in the wild a live giant squid, one of the most mysterious creatures of the deep-sea.

The Japanese scientists led by Tsunemi Kubodera, from the National Science Museum in Tokyo, tracked the 25-foot long Architeuthis as it attacked prey nearly 3,000 feet deep off the coast of Japan's Bonin islands. "We believe this is the first time a grown giant squid has been captured on camera in its natural habitat," said Kyoichi Mori, a marine researcher who co-authored a piece on the finding in the Royal Society Journal, a leading British biological publication.

http://tinyurl.com/8l9d3

e13x3d.jpg

Picture found at Yahoo News

SieSie said:
e13x3d.jpg

Picture found at Yahoo News
For a long time they knew the giant squid existed, only because they had found them in the stomachs of whales. Since then they have been able to locate a few dead specimens, but hadn't ever seen one alive. I think I heard where they get up to something like 60 feet in length.

Buzzm1 said:
For a long time they knew the giant squid existed, only because they had found them in the stomachs of whales. Since then they have been able to locate a few dead specimens, but hadn't ever seen one alive. I think I heard where they get up to something like 60 feet in length.
60 Feet! Holy smokes!

The Colossal squid has an even bigger body, plus swiveling sharp hooks all along it's tentacles. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Having worked on boats I am not too suprised by what they find. I always hope more will be found.

I have seen bottle nosed dolphins corraling females to rape. Manta rays bigger than ever seen in photos swimming on the surface right along the jetties. I did not have my camera during that.
I have seen literally thousands of cow rays, which look like sting rays, swimming in the bay to feed after a red tide.
Hammerhead sharks caught by the dozen brought in on fishing boats. One swimming with our big boat on the bow like the dolphins usually do.
Lots of people drowned due to snorkeling when the gulf is angry and the day is sunny.

We hear about sharks caught that pulled the boats around. Nothing found so far has suprised me. I think the ocean has many secrets and those that are on it all the time get a glimpse of them.
I do not swim off the boat anymore.

Becba said:
Having worked on boats I am not too suprised by what they find. I always hope more will be found.

I have seen bottle nosed dolphins corraling females to rape. Manta rays bigger than ever seen in photos swimming on the surface right along the jetties. I did not have my camera during that.
I have seen literally thousands of cow rays, which look like sting rays, swimming in the bay to feed after a red tide.
Hammerhead sharks caught by the dozen brought in on fishing boats. One swimming with our big boat on the bow like the dolphins usually do.
Lots of people drowned due to snorkeling when the gulf is angry and the day is sunny.

We hear about sharks caught that pulled the boats around. Nothing found so far has suprised me. I think the ocean has many secrets and those that are on it all the time get a glimpse of them.
I do not swim off the boat anymore.
Yeah, I always have to wonder about people who go splashing around in the the big blue. Its full of things that seem designed to kill ya. Even little things like jellyfish are a big deal in their own element. As it is, lakes and rivers are pretty unpredictable. The Amazon is fascinating, but you'd have to kill me, tie a rope around around my neck, and drag me behind a boat to get me in its waters.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back