841 users online (135 members and 706 guests)  

Websleuths News

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

TX - Texas dad who took away daughter's phone not guilty of theft

Ronald Jackson
    randy.jpg
    Dallas, Texas -
    (AP) — A Texas father who was accused of theft after he confiscated his 12-year-old daughter's cellphone over an inappropriate text has been acquitted of the misdemeanor charge.

A judge in Dallas found Ronald Jackson not guilty Tuesday, citing insufficient evidence.

Grand Prairie police arrested Jackson a few hours after he commandeered his daughter's cellphone and refused to return it. The 36-year-old father says a text he found on the phone was rude.

The girl's mother says she owns the cellphone and reported the confiscation as theft.

Jackson posted $1,500 bail to get out of jail, but later received a mailed citation for theft. He refused to pay.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-dad-took...162236368.html

http://www.wbrz.com/news/texas-dad-w...ilty-of-theft/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Parents using the judicial system to get back at each other when they disagree about parenting methods is so freaking absurd.

I am amazed this even went to court. 12 year old is a minor. Presumably she doesn't have a job. She isn't the one buying cell phones. So how can a parent be guilty of theft if they take this cell phone?
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I am amazed this even went to court. 12 year old is a minor. Presumably she doesn't have a job. She isn't the one buying cell phones. So how can a parent be guilty of theft if they take this cell phone?
    Maybe I missed it in links, but I suspect Mom & Dad are not married (at least not any longer).

IIRC article said Mom said she owns the cell (presumably bought for dau's use), so Dad taking it could be charged w theft for taking Mom's cell.

Conceivably could happen even if married. Tho, prosecutor prob'ly not likely to file, imo.

Family squabble. A criminal matter over a phone? Really. Agreeing w those who say, seems like a waste of time & money for prosecutor and ct. JM2cts.
    Last edited by al66pine; 01-27-2016 at 11:18 PM.