TX - Texas dad who took away daughter's phone not guilty of theft

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Ronald Jackson
randy.jpg
Dallas, Texas -
(AP) — A Texas father who was accused of theft after he confiscated his 12-year-old daughter's cellphone over an inappropriate text has been acquitted of the misdemeanor charge.

A judge in Dallas found Ronald Jackson not guilty Tuesday, citing insufficient evidence.

Grand Prairie police arrested Jackson a few hours after he commandeered his daughter's cellphone and refused to return it. The 36-year-old father says a text he found on the phone was rude.

The girl's mother says she owns the cellphone and reported the confiscation as theft.

Jackson posted $1,500 bail to get out of jail, but later received a mailed citation for theft. He refused to pay.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-dad-took-away-daughters-phone-not-guilty-162236368.html

http://www.wbrz.com/news/texas-dad-who-took-away-daughter-s-phone-not-guilty-of-theft/

Parents using the judicial system to get back at each other when they disagree about parenting methods is so freaking absurd.

I am amazed this even went to court. 12 year old is a minor. Presumably she doesn't have a job. She isn't the one buying cell phones. So how can a parent be guilty of theft if they take this cell phone?

I am amazed this even went to court. 12 year old is a minor. Presumably she doesn't have a job. She isn't the one buying cell phones. So how can a parent be guilty of theft if they take this cell phone?

Maybe I missed it in links, but I suspect Mom & Dad are not married (at least not any longer).

IIRC article said Mom said she owns the cell (presumably bought for dau's use), so Dad taking it could be charged w theft for taking Mom's cell.

Conceivably could happen even if married. Tho, prosecutor prob'ly not likely to file, imo.

Family squabble. A criminal matter over a phone? Really. Agreeing w those who say, seems like a waste of time & money for prosecutor and ct. JM2cts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back