Found Deceased Holland - Richard Cole, 30, Amsterdam, 25 January 2016

The area he was last seen in is right in the middle of the canal ring. Waterways and alcohol definitely aren't a good match. Also, Amsterdam isn't short of it's shady characters particularly around these parts.

Really hope he's just blowing off some steam somewhere having a good time - wouldn't be the first or last person to lose a few days to Amsterdam's hedonistic side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a pleasant fun-loving guy, hope he is located soon.

View attachment 88205

He does, doesnt he! First thing I did when I saw his friends share on fb was look at his profile, looks like an adventurous living life to the full young man. What a beautiful couple him and his gf make.

As stated above, the canals, god the canals!!! Scary, I hope hes out there having fun, but I fear not

Oh dear. I love Amsterdam and have been there maybe a dozen times. Easy to lose track of time as someone said upthread. Also very easy to fall into a canal since it's practically made of them.

Here's a map - in the main centre there are more canals than roads.

map-amsterdam-city-with-canals.gif

Some of these smaller roads alongside the canals definitely can be difficult to pass along due to cars and bikes as well which take no prisoners. Bikes, cars and trams really do rule the roads in Amsterdam! I've seen quite a few people knocked down in my times visiting therefore I don't think it would be that difficult to try and avoid a car for example and stumble into a canal whilst intoxicated.

The area he was last seen is round about no 17 on that map.

Very familiar with Amsterdam and it is not unusual for people or cars,bikes,scooters to end up in a canal.When someone goes missing in Amsterdam or Belgium and it is near a canal,they are usually found in the water.The canals cycle with the tides and bring fresh water in daily,he could be out to sea by now sorry to say.I am sure officials in Holland are checking the tide charts.
I hope they have the canal boat captains keeping a watch out for him.

Richard Cole
30B2ED5400000578-3423304-image-m-35_1454096454115.jpg
Richard is a very special person not only to his family but to all his friends.

'Life would just not be the same without him. Please help us to keep searching for him.'

Mr Cole's girlfriend Alicia Marie told BBC's Victoria Derbyshire she spoke to Mr Cole in the early hours of January 25.

'He had been out with some people that he just met, which is common for Richard - he's really friendly,' she said. 'I just said 'it's late, be careful, please go home, get a cab' and we got off the phone.

'I texted him a picture of his address to show the cab but it never went through. I imagined that he turned off his phone, or his phone died. We just never heard from him.'

An appeal by the Dutch Police says there has been 'no trace' of Mr Cole since his phone call to Miss Marie.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Gloucestershire Police on +44 1452 726920.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...drinking-people-d-just-met.html#ixzz3yfyonO3u
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I've just read about Richard being missing. Thanks for all your posts and discussion on Amsterdam. It is tragic to think about the possibility someone could easily fall into a canal particularly when drunk where you are not able mentally to comprehend what is happens to you and help save yourself. Are the canals deep?

Also is CCTV common in the area where he was last seen? I hope the British Embassy is doing everything it can to help Richard's family find him.

The area he was last seen is quite a commercial area with bars and restaurants etc. So hopefully he has been picked up on private CCTV if not the cities CCTV.

By the sounds of things from the daily mail article, Richard's phone was off pretty quickly after his phone call with his girlfriend.

Any word on what hotel he was checked in too?

I've just read about Richard being missing. Thanks for all your posts and discussion on Amsterdam. It is tragic to think about the possibility someone could easily fall into a canal particularly when drunk where you are not able mentally to comprehend what is happens to you and help save yourself. Are the canals deep?

Also is CCTV common in the area where he was last seen? I hope the British Embassy is doing everything it can to help Richard's family find him.

Not sure of the depth of the canals but I can tell you there is hardly any barricades,fences,etc. to keep things from going into the canals.Most are wide open.Accidents do happen and people fall in unexpected ,there are life preserves hanging along the walls.I visit frequently and see mostly male Brits that drink excessively and sometimes cause a commotion.Not trying to offend any brits but I see this alot in Holland and Belgium.It is possible he could have been robbed and killed but it is rare and my thought is he was intoxicated beyond the normal amount and fell into a canal.I am surprised this does not happen more often.

I did read on Brittanica site that the minimum depth is 18 feet.

Not sure of the depth of the canals but I can tell you there is hardly any barricades,fences,etc. to keep things from going into the canals.Most are wide open.Accidents do happen and people fall in unexpected ,there are life preserves hanging along the walls.I visit frequently and see mostly male Brits that drink excessively and sometimes cause a commotion.Not trying to offend any brits but I see this alot in Holland and Belgium.It is possible he could have been robbed and killed but it is rare and my thought is he was intoxicated beyond the normal amount and fell into a canal.I am surprised this does not happen more often.

Not offensive! You are right, It's a popular destination for stag parties and groups of Brits for a number of reasons... and sometimes some take letting their hair down to the extreme. Times that I've been out in this area, where Richard was last seen, there have also been a few street dealers hanging around looking to take advantage of tourists looking to buy some extras for their trip. So robbery could also be a possibility. Amsterdam is a beautiful city but it's also somewhere you need to be that extra bit vigilant.

The area he was last seen is quite a commercial area with bars and restaurants etc. So hopefully he has been picked up on private CCTV if not the cities CCTV.

By the sounds of things from the daily mail article, Richard's phone was off pretty quickly after his phone call with his girlfriend.

Any word on what hotel he was checked in too?

I did read on Brittanica site that the minimum depth is 18 feet.

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply it is much appreciated. I wondered about the speed of the water moving in the canals if someone fell in would they be taken a good distance from where they fell relatively quickly?

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply it is much appreciated. I wondered about the speed of the water moving in the canals if someone fell in would they be taken a good distance from where they fell relatively quickly?
Unless they became stuck on debris in canal.Many bikes and sometimes cars.

I do not want to discourage anyone from looking at other options on his whereabouts besides drowning in a canal.Strange things do go on in Amsterdam.I hope he is partying with new friends and lost his phone and wants to stay longer than anticapated.

I see from the fb page that his family are travelling over there. Hope they find him safe and well

It's years since I've been to Amsterdam, but I don't think this one of the more seedy areas from what I remember. It doesn't look it either.

Thorbeckeplein (last known location).

tkk5i3b9jw22r7kzg.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/VPqQeXaiK5L2

Just past the statue is the nearest canal. There's railings round the bridge, but not elsewhere.

mhzzgid9vfr2xs4zg.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/zz58YQyAG4w

I really hope he's just having a good time somewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back