Found Deceased OR - Todd Ragsdale, 46, Ashland, 28 January 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Todd Ragsdale
EP-160129545.jpg&MaxW=315

UPDATE: Searchers frustrated in hunt for distance runner Ragsdale

Ashland, Oregon -
A Rogue Valley distance runner is missing after going on a hike above Ashland Thursday morning, and search-and-rescue crews and other runners are combing the hills looking for him, according to a news release from the Jackson County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff's department officials said Talent resident Todd Ragsdale, 46, told his wife he was going for a light run or hike above Lithia Park at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday. Members of the Southern Oregon Runners Facebook group said he was headed to the Pete's Punisher area.

Ragsdale was reported missing at about 3:30 p.m. after he failed to return home. His vehicle was located in a parking area above the park.

Numerous members of the Southern Oregon Runners group are in the area this morning searching the trails around U.S. Forest Service Road 2060, Granite Street and Reeder Reservoir. Some searched overnight.

There are 70 volunteers from Jackson, Josephine, Douglas, Klamath and Deschutes counties participating in the search for Ragsdale, according to Jackson County sheriff's Sgt. Shawn Richards, speaking at the command post on Granite Street near the south end of Lithia Park.

"If he has the wherewithal to run 100 miles," Richards said, "he has the wherewithal to get through this."

In June 2010, Ragsdale broke what was then the Guinness World Record for distance run barefoot in 24 hours by covering 102 miles, shattering the previous mark of 90.6 miles. Ragsdale, a previous winner of the Crater Lake Marathon, circled a Medford high school track 413 times in a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20160129/NEWS/160129545

Posting to complete Todd's story. This is a delightful article in "Runner's World" about the unique person Todd was. Here is what they think happened to him...

It’s possible they’ll never know exactly what happened, but from the evidence investigators have been able to piece together, Nancy Ragsdale believes her husband went out power hiking or lightly jogging—he was nursing a hamstring injury—on a familiar loop, but vomited for an unknown reason after coming down Pete’s Punisher, a steep trail Ragsdale had named after a friend.

She told Runner's World by phone Thursday that she believes he then took a deer trail down to the water to clean himself up, and then he passed out or slipped and fell. The water was only about one foot deep where Ragsdale was found. Investigators will run a series of tests in an attempt to learn more, but it could take several months for any results, which are unlikely to provide all the answers.

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/tragic-end-in-search-for-beloved-runner

The toxicology report that came back months later showed nothing.

"All the variety of tests came back negative," Falls said. Toxicology tests generally check for controlled substances, common pharmaceuticals, alcohol and poisons, according to the Oregon State Police website.
There was no trauma found on Ragsdale's body, Falls said. The autopsy performed shortly after Ragsdale's death turned up nothing suspicious, a medical examiner's report said.
http://www.dailytidings.com/news/20...light-on-distance-runner-todd-ragsdales-death

Todd's death has moved runners to take precautions when they run alone.

Impromptu solo runs on outlying trails are standard for distance runners who can become slaves to their training schedules, but Johnson approached Monday’s run with new caution.

“This time, I texted my girlfriend and said, ‘I’m going up Roxy for an hour, I’ll text you when I get down,’ ” says Johnson, 39, of Central Point. “It was just an hour, and I took my cellphone with me, as well.”

A bigger focus on safety and more communication with the outside world is becoming the new normal for local trail runners in the wake of last week’s death of one of their beloved own.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...shland-marathoner-rocks-community-of-runners/

Thank you Lilibet! Beautiful picture.

Vomiting and then death could indicate a heart attack but I think they would have seen this in autopsy? Very mysterious.

Thank you Lilibet! Beautiful picture.

Vomiting and then death could indicate a heart attack but I think they would have seen this in autopsy? Very mysterious.

I'm assuming the vomiting wasn't heart, but something simple like the start of stomach flu or reaction to meds. Whatever caused him to either slip or faint and fall into the water and drown could have been simple or complex. I guess we'll never know.

I feel terrible for his wife. Such a short time together and they were so happy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back