Marietta Police K-9 to be auctioned off upon handler's retirement

wvcountrygirl

Reaction score
Very disappointed in my neighboring state! Officer Hickey retired from the Marietta OH police force on 1/25/16. When he found out his canine partner would be sold he offered to pay the $3500. However, state law requires the dog to be auctioned off! Why is this poor dog being treated as just an object? So, he will be auctioned off to the highest bidder! Hopefully no one bids against Officer Hickey!

http://www.thenewscenter.tv/content...ioned-upon-handlers-retirement-367031591.html

The Marietta City Law Director offered this explanation because the city is getting a lot of bad publicity about this:

After replying to a great number of emails, some from around the nation, I would like to state here what I have been responding personally.

It is truly my personal hope and belief that Officer Hickey retain possession of Ajax. I wish that the auction process could be avoided, but unfortunately state law does not allow a remedy. In my statement I was not comparing Ajax to a shovel, but rather referring to the coldness of the current law as it does not yet differentiate an animal from an object of possession. We cannot circumvent the law even if we do not agree with it. Hopefully this very sad situation can bring light to a clear problem and thereby bring about change from our state capital. From my local position I can only apply the law as written and cannot set policy, but I hope for a positive outcome in this case.

I feel for Officer Hickey and his family and I am very proud of our community for being so outspoken for him and creating a fund to aid him in overcoming the challenge this law creates. I hope that the massive amount of media coverage will prevent any bids from any person other than Officer Hickey and that the Hickey family is able to spend many more loving years with Ajax.
Thank you, and please share so that others may better understand this unfortunate situation.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.bertram.984/posts/1041007739255388?fref=nf

Couldn't the state legislature or the Governor "pardon" Ajax, or somehow commute his "sentence?"

Arise, Ohio, please.

I am happy to see that over $17,000 has been raised for officer Hockey to bid on his loyal k-9 partner. It is sad to see that they are having to go through this, but I believe that in the end Ajax will go home with Hickey and family.

This law is pathetic! Hopefully, something can be done at the state level to change it!

“The dog is property of the city of Marietta,” Marietta Law Director Paul Betram III said. “Because it is personal property, it is treated like a shovel. That's just the way it is.”

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...e-auctioned-despite-offering-to-pay-city.html

Almost $54,000 has been raised for Ajax and Officer Hickey! Although, I'd hate to see the city get a penny more than the $3,500 they say Ajax is worth!

This law is pathetic! Hopefully, something can be done at the state level to change it!

“The dog is property of the city of Marietta,” Marietta Law Director Paul Betram III said. “Because it is personal property, it is treated like a shovel. That's just the way it is.”

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...e-auctioned-despite-offering-to-pay-city.html

Almost $54,000 has been raised for Ajax and Officer Hickey! Although, I'd hate to see the city get a penny more than the $3,500 they say Ajax is worth!

BBMI also hope the city only gets the $3,500.00 and the rest of the money can help Officer Hickey and his family pay for Ajax's care (food, vet bills, etc...) for the rest of his life. Oh, and take a family vacation with Ajax while you're at it, Officer Hickey. You deserve it.

BBMI also hope the city only gets the $3,500.00 and the rest of the money can help Officer Hickey and his family pay for Ajax's care (food, vet bills, etc...) for the rest of his life. Oh, and take a family vacation with Ajax while you're at it, Officer Hickey. You deserve it.

From what I have read it looks like any unused funds will be given to an organization that provides bullet/stab-proof vests to K9 units

"The city says only a police officer, either active or retired, or someone who trains K9 officers would be allowed to bid on Ajax".

Hopefully these people will respect the bond between Hickey & Ajax and no one submits a bid! That's how I feel this will go!

I do hope that if needed some of the money raised will be used to change this law so another law enforcement officer and his k-9 won't have to go through this.

Its good to hear the happy ending to this story. Not only are the partners together, but $70,000 will buy a lot of vests for k-9's. I hope to see the law clarified so this doesn't happen again.
I have such a soft spot for k-9 officers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back