GUILTY CA - Frank Szeles 'Mr. Wonder', 76, Pedophile Arrested after 25 Years on the Run

PastTense

Reaction score
Neighbors in a well-to-do section of this San Diego suburb knew him as Frank Szeles, a friendly Cub Scouts leader who frequently gave swimming lessons to young children in his backyard pool.

The federal agents who arrested him last week knew him by a different name: “Mr. Wonder,” the host of a popular children’s TV show who vanished decades ago amid allegations that he sexually abused several kids during a camping retreat in central Louisiana.

The man who faced a San Diego judge Wednesday denied he is the 76-year-old fugitive named Frank John Selas III who allegedly fled to Brazil in 1979 after Louisiana authorities secured a warrant for his arrest.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/nation/2016/01/31/mr-wonder-abuse-allegations/79621060/
B9320740484Z.1_20160131205126_000_GSBDALR0I.1-0.jpg

Oh no, how scary is that - He's obviously been spending a lot of time with children whilst he's been on the run :( I wonder how many victims there have been over the years :(

This Szeles has also had frequent contact with children. He used to be a Cubmaster in Bonita, but the Boy Scouts of America told the AP that he was “removed from Scouting several years ago for non-compliance with our youth protection policies and procedures.”

The organization said his dismissal was connected to a parent complaint from someone not involved with the group he used to run, and was unrelated to scouting, but it did not elaborate further.

A cached version of the website for the arrestee’s business, Szeles Enterprises, advertises swimming lessons, Cub Scouts trips, day camps and “High Adventure Field Trips.”

“He always had a lot of kids around him,” Szeles’s neighbor, Haywood Gammon, told the AP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sted-for-allegedly-sexually-abusing-children/

A man who was accused of sexually abusing children during a camping trip nearly four decades ago when he was known as television show host Mr Wonder was also banned from contact with children from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Frank John Selas III, or Frank Szeles as he was known in the San Diego area, was 'removed from all positions related to children' after failing to comply with the church's child protection policies, Eric Hawkins, a church spokesman, said on Thursday.

After his removal, a parent expressed 'a generalized concern' about the suspect's behavior toward a child and the church urged the parent to report it to authorities, Hawkins said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dren-breaching-child-protection-policies.html

Szeles is denying being Selas, although according to authorities he admits that he legally changed his name...

IMO they sure look like the same person. You'd think he would have changed his style of glasses at least, since he was on the run! I bet he thought he would never be caught after all this time, though. I wonder how authorities managed to track him down... Probably a tip.

30AFEAFF00000578-0-image-a-105_1454045688997.jpg

The cached version of his website has this creepy description of the swimming lessons he offered:

Each swimming session includes a group lesson, as well as individual hands- on instruction for each child, and a free-swim fun period. Normal duration is 90 minutes, though a child may leave sooner if necessary. (Our specialty is that one on one individual hands on private lesson time with each child)

Bold, italic, underline by me

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...om/swimlessons.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

EWWWWW! Creepy McCreepton. EWWWWW! Creeper hasn't changed is spots one bit. EWWWW! My skin is crawling.

I need a shower, by myself.

The pool he was using according to his website is the historic Belmont Park Plunge. It has been closed since 2014 awaiting renovations, so I don't know if he stopped lessons or moved them.

http://www.belmontpark.com/theplunge/

I had water therapy for back trouble at this pool and it is huge and busy. If he was in the water teaching kids, "hands on" molesting would not be noticed. :mad: He says he had Scout Leader Dads supervising around the pool (and in the locker room), but I can't imagine that many Dads would be available during lesson times or see much. He gave free lessons (so benevolent) and even arranged half-price entry fees for the kids. He made it sooooo easy to become his prey!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...om/swimlessons.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

He changed his last name by changing the spelling. I bet it is pronounced the same way.

Szeles = Selas

The cached version of his website has this creepy description of the swimming lessons he offered:

Each swimming session includes a group lesson, as well as individual hands- on instruction for each child, and a free-swim fun period. Normal duration is 90 minutes, though a child may leave sooner if necessary. (Our specialty is that one on one individual hands on private lesson time with each child)

Bold, italic, underline by me

The part under Pools were it says do not contact Plunge pools with questions regarding our program is suspicious.Offering 50% discount to be kept confidential.

The part under Pools were it says do not contact Plunge pools with questions regarding our program is suspicious.Offering 50% discount to be kept confidential.

That caught my eye too. I figure that he was making up the difference himself and didn't want anyone to know as it would seem strange. Yup!

And another thing...even though he mentions that he may accept girls, I doubt he did. It seems like a perfunctory addition to make sure he doesn't get called out for violating a law. JMO

"Boys 5 - 11 (Any School District) (Some Swim Lessons times may be available for girls at various dates-email to request)"

BBM

Just a reminder that Mr. Selas will be arraigned tomorrow (Monday)

Marc Carlos, a California-based attorney representing Selas, said his client would enter a not guilty plea on Monday. He spoke to The Associated Press in a telephone interview Saturday.

“There are a lot of aspects which the public isn’t aware of in this case; there is a lot of speculation and innuendo that we are eager to put an end to,” he said.

Carlos said the defense team has not seen the evidence against Selas. He said interrogation techniques used in the 1979 may have tainted the case against his client.

“We don’t know if these interviews were taped, what kinds of questions were asked, what kind of conduct was suggested to the child,” Carlos said. “There is probably a woeful lack of forensic evidence.”

He added: “We’re going to trial
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...due-court-sex-abuse-charges-article-1.2637110

"January 19, 2018. BATON ROUGE, La. — A man once known as "Mr. Wonder" to viewers of his children's television show was sentenced Thursday to five years in prison, nearly four decades after he vanished amid allegations he sexually abused children on a camping trip.

Frank John Selas III, 78, pleaded guilty to one count of indecent behavior with a child before a judge in Alexandria sentenced him, Assistant District Attorney Brian Mosley said in a statement.

With credit for time served since his January 2016 arrest in California, Selas could be eligible for parole as soon as July, his attorney said."

Louisiana TV's 'Mr. Wonder' gets 5 years for child sex crime

"December 20, 2018. Frank John Selas III, known as "Mr. Wonder," has been arrested in California after allegedly violating his parole.

Whether or not he gets sent back to Louisiana to answer for that is another matter. There are no immediate plans to bring Selas back, and it's possible it could wait until a federal case against him is resolved.

Selas, 79, was booked into the Vista Detention Center in Vista, California, on Dec. 7 after his arrest. He remains in the facility with no bond set on Monday afternoon.

According to a document filed with the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of California on Dec. 13, Selas went to a home he'd been barred from visiting because children lived there."

'Mr. Wonder' jailed after alleged parole violation in California

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back