1020 users online (188 members and 832 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44
    putting this in Lauren's thread, because the year after she disappeared, at the same time of year, Mickey
    Shunick disappeared and LE looked at similarities.

This young coed at work was telling us she had injured her shoulder a some weeks past and I asked how. She said on her bike.I asked, just riding too much too strenuously? and she says no, someone cut right in front of her, she swerved madly to miss them, and was thrown from her bike onto her shoulder.
    ok she's got my curiosity...I'm like, did anyone get out of the vehicle and she goes, "no, it was a guy on foot. Before I could even get up he had my glasses and
    bike and said he could put it in his van. (Like Mickey!)
    this girl was concerned about her bike and she said she lived right up the block, no thank you. He continued to walk her bike in that direction, insisting on helping. When she got to her door and unlocked it, he tried to push her inside but she managed to get behind her bike, push him out and lock the door, calling 911.

I was standing there with the goosebumps like electric shocks, going from my head to toes and arms. I told her, "I don't want to scare you, but you are sooooo
    lucky to be alive, you went through the classic bicycle abduction and you did exactly what they tell you to do by using your bike." And her shoulder was dislocated!
    She didn't mind answering a few questions: May 19,
    white guy, van, LE took her story with a grain of salt, merely asking her which direction he seemed to be coming from, hospital ER acted like she was making it up. IOW, no alert anywhere that a predator might be waiting for another woman on a bike in that area. It was McDoel Gardens right by the hospital. Thing is, many young families and kids, it's a vibrant neighborhood.
    She said when he tried to push her in, he grabbed and pushed her by the buttocks. She told me she rammed him with her bike. I told her how hard Mickey had fought for her life.
    I mean, help me out, people from Bloomington, don't you think warnings should be posted where cyclists
    can read them?
    Last edited by Ixchel13; 07-10-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Faith, Hope, and Love

Quote Originally Posted by Ixchel13 View Post
    putting this in Lauren's thread, because the year after she disappeared, at the same time of year, Mickey
    Shunick disappeared and LE looked at similarities.

This young coed at work was telling us she had injured her shoulder a some weeks past and I asked how. She said on her bike.I asked, just riding too much too strenuously? and she says no, someone cut right in front of her, she swerved madly to miss them, and was thrown from her bike onto her shoulder.
    ok she's got my curiosity...I'm like, did anyone get out of the vehicle and she goes, "no, it was a guy on foot. Before I could even get up he had my glasses and
    bike and said he could put it in his van. (Like Mickey!)
    this girl was concerned about her bike and she said she lived right up the block, no thank you. He continued to walk her bike in that direction, insisting on helping. When she got to her door and unlocked it, he tried to push her inside but she managed to get behind her bike, push him out and lock the door, calling 911.

I was standing there with the goosebumps like electric shocks, going from my head to toes and arms. I told her, "I don't want to scare you, but you are sooooo
    lucky to be alive, you went through the classic bicycle abduction and you did exactly what they tell you to do by using your bike." And her shoulder was dislocated!
    She didn't mind answering a few questions: May 19,
    white guy, van, LE took her story with a grain of salt, merely asking her which direction he seemed to be coming from, hospital ER acted like she was making it up. IOW, no alert anywhere that a predator might be waiting for another woman on a bike in that area. It was McDoel Gardens right by the hospital. Thing is, many young families and kids, it's a vibrant neighborhood.
    She said when he tried to push her in, he grabbed and pushed her by the buttocks. She told me she rammed him with her bike. I told her how hard Mickey had fought for her life.
    I mean, help me out, people from Bloomington, don't you think warnings should be posted where cyclists
    can read them?
    Could you alert the Central Indiana Bicycling Association? Perhaps supply redacted police report for confirmation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ros View Post
    Could you alert the Central Indiana Bicycling Association? Perhaps supply redacted police report for confirmation?
    thanks Ros I'll do that. Don't ride a bike, but support our very large bike community. I guess I'll go look it up now.
    Faith, Hope, and Love

thanks Ros I'll do that. Don't ride a bike, but support our very large bike community. I guess I'll go look it up now.
    ust tried to look it up on the bloomington police blotter, it wasn't there. i looked on the 18th and the 20th as well. she said that LE didn't take her story very seriously, do they sometimes not report crimes they check on? because just right off the cuff when she was recounting her "accident" it stood out in flashing colors as an attempted abduction!
    Faith, Hope, and Love

Interesting that 6 yrs later, we still do not know who the second call was made to by Lauren/Jason?

Although I tend to look much less at 5N for all the reasons that Ven states so eloquently, abduction is usually sloppy...yet no Lauren. JW was and will always be on the radar....I also concur that his actions and motive are suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ros View Post
    Ros I posted the info on the CIBA facebook. Talked to the victim again , she wasn't surprised to find out it wasn't on the incident log for the night because she said the LE wasn't that concerned!

It's like the officer didn't see the incident as a classic
    way someone would disable the cyclist and then abduct. I mean, guy had a van, why would he be walking in front of her, and then trying to push her inside her front door?
    anyway, if I sound paranoid, it's because we went through the Mickey Shunick in LA case, and then this woman tells this scary story about her bike. And from Bloomington, where it seems there are more than a few killers on the loose.
    I don't want to ruin everybody's fun and get people busted, but I wish there was a way to get it across to these young people that they aren't really safe in these bar districts and then leaving alone. Maybe that can change but for right now, no.
    In Lauren's case, during the first 4 years, 5N POIs incl.
    JW seemed most likely, but then several other attempted abductions, Hannah's murder and then a rape/abduction survivor with her killer's DNA match.
    This DM stalked Hannah and snatched her right under her friends and even her roommate's noses!
    DM was very much around during Lauren's disappearance and the MO would be the exact same.
    Hannah's roommate heard the door open and not close and then Hannah was gone. IMO, JW might have been laying in wait for Lauren but then she never appeared.
    I know that corner. If Lauren had rounded the corner, DM could have grabbed her and pulled her into the walkway right there that had led to the very dark back parking lot of 5N, into a vehicle and then right out to Morton St, then 11th, and out the west way. JW, however, could have been waiting right down the street a little by the bisecting e/w alley that led to the 10th and C alley they favored as a walkway to SW. to me it makes sense that he would wait there
    instead of standing on the corner, lots of cops. also, as MaHouston has posted, Laurens keys were found.
    After all this time, I'm wondering, was there a key or a key fob for Lauren's car?
    I know there was a key card but iirc someone turned in keys that she had left during the altercation?
    Last edited by Ixchel13; 08-01-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Faith, Hope, and Love

New to this

Ros I posted the info on the CIBA facebook. Talked to the victim again , she wasn't surprised to find out it wasn't on the incident log for the night because she said the LE wasn't that concerned!

It's like the officer didn't see the incident as a classic
    way someone would disable the cyclist and then abduct. I mean, guy had a van, why would he be walking in front of her, and then trying to push her inside her front door?
    anyway, if I sound paranoid, it's because we went through the Mickey Shunick in LA case, and then this woman tells this scary story about her bike. And from Bloomington, where it seems there are more than a few killers on the loose.
    I don't want to ruin everybody's fun and get people busted, but I wish there was a way to get it across to these young people that they aren't really safe in these bar districts and then leaving alone. Maybe that can change but for right now, no.
    In Lauren's case, during the first 4 years, 5N POIs incl.
    JW seemed most likely, but then several other attempted abductions, Hannah's murder and then a rape/abduction survivor with her killer's DNA match.
    This DM stalked Hannah and snatched her right under her friends and even her roommate's noses!
    DM was very much around during Lauren's disappearance and the MO would be the exact same.
    Hannah's roommate heard the door open and not close and then Hannah was gone. IMO, JW might have been laying in wait for Lauren but then she never appeared.
    I know that corner. If Lauren had rounded the corner, DM could have grabbed her and pulled her into the walkway right there that had led to the very dark back parking lot of 5N, into a vehicle and then right out to Morton St, then 11th, and out the west way. JW, however, could have been waiting right down the street a little by the bisecting e/w alley that led to the 10th and C alley they favored as a walkway to SW. to me it makes sense that he would wait there
    instead of standing on the corner, lots of cops. also, as MaHouston has posted, Laurens keys were found.
    After all this time, I'm wondering, was there a key or a key fob for Lauren's car?
    I know there was a key card but iirc someone turned in keys that she had left during the altercation?
    Did investigators ever check the sides of highways just across the border to Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemoji View Post
    Did investigators ever check the sides of highways just across the border to Ohio?
    Reason I ask:

I'm an Aussie, and I was staying in Bloomington Indiana in 2015. I'd never heard about this case before or anything but I was told something in my time there. (Fore warning, I was slightly intoxicated it's so long ago now I don't remember names so much)

Anyway, there was one night I'd been out had some drinks, met a girl, and when we were back at her place on the verge of crashing for the night, she mentioned that at some point she was with Lauren's boyfriend/his close friend (I believe the way she said it was it was an old scholars night/party or however it is done in the states)
    Basically they had been smashed drunk and this guy (boyfriend or close friend of) got really emotional and had a drunken rant about how he had accidentally caused her death freaked out to see up the idea of calling authorities but decided to get rid of her and dumped her along one of the highways going to Ohio.

Note:
    For the life of me I can't remember her name.
    I never gave it much thought because I honestly didn't know who she was talking about (I'd never heard of Lauren's case and we weren't talking about anything close to the issue when she brought it up, basically I was looking at her like 'huh')
    She did mention the name of who she heard this from but I don't remember, I feel like I remember her telling me it was indeed Lauren's boyfriend, but being drunk and so long ago I honestly can't tell you for sure)
    When she accidentally she did say how, they met up that night (she went to his or he knew where she was) they had an argument and he shook her or something along those lines and she just died.
    She never really said that he mentioned exactly where he dumped her just that it was along a highway near Ohio and it was down a road off the highway or just off the highway. I believe the reason she brought it up was while I was in Bloomington another girl went missing, but I don't know.

Honestly like I said, it was a long while ago so the small details I don't remember (I wish I did) I was tipsy so I wasn't paying complete attention, I also basically had no idea what she was talking about.
    She was upset about it and did seem sincere, but I don't know. Pure speculation I suppose, I have no idea if any of the time lines work or anything, just stumbled upon this website and Lauren's page figured I'd say something I guess.

Cheers,
    B

and dumped her along one of the highways going to Ohio.
    There's not really a good highway leading directly from Bloomington to Ohio. But there is a highway going directly from Bloomington to Columbus, IN.. I wonder in a passed down, telephone game type version of a story if Columbus, IN got transposed to Columbus, OH and finally just Ohio?
    Highway 46 is a direct route from Bloomington to Columbus and has some wooded areas and I'm sure some secluded county roads intersecting it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by akh View Post
    There's not really a good highway leading directly from Bloomington to Ohio. But there is a highway going directly from Bloomington to Columbus, IN.. I wonder in a passed down, telephone game type version of a story if Columbus, IN got transposed to Columbus, OH and finally just Ohio?
    Highway 46 is a direct route from Bloomington to Columbus and has some wooded areas and I'm sure some secluded county roads intersecting it as well.
    46E from Bloomington (going thru Columbus, IN) interchanges with I-74E to Ohio in Greensburg.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Could be, I honestly have no idea. Never heard anything else about the case while I was there. Only thing I've heard since is from my partner (she went to IU) she started the year that Lauren went missing. All she's ever heard from other students was that the roommates covered up her death.

But having now read most of this page, I wonder if maybe if you link Lauren hitting her head and someone grabbing her on her way home. So if you take someone taking her (not to murder her, just for other bad intentions) and she passed out and substantially died because of the head trauma. Could also be an example of how that man (apologies forgot his name) escalated to murdering Hannah?

Super tired so my mind is wandering, so sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    46E from Bloomington (going thru Columbus, IN) interchanges with I-74E to Ohio in Greensburg.
    That's a pretty good drive though. It's got to be an hour, probably a little more, to Greensburg just to get to the Interstate. And I'm not sure someone looking to dump a body would be wanting to get to the Interstate. And then it's still a ways to Ohio via 74. And the Interstate is taking them to Cincinnati so not exactly a lonely stretch of highway, and not a highway to nowhere either. So there'd be the risk of being seen and the risk of being pulled over for a traffic violation too. And then they need to find time to get back to Bloomington. Plus sunrise would be a factor too, assuming they were really heading to Ohio, or even close to Ohio.

I'm not sure how the timeframe would work out for the Persons of Interest as far as when they were known to be in Bloomington that morning.

Reason I ask:

I'm an Aussie, and I was staying in Bloomington Indiana in 2015. I'd never heard about this case before or anything but I was told something in my time there. (Fore warning, I was slightly intoxicated it's so long ago now I don't remember names so much)

Anyway, there was one night I'd been out had some drinks, met a girl, and when we were back at her place on the verge of crashing for the night, she mentioned that at some point she was with Lauren's boyfriend/his close friend (I believe the way she said it was it was an old scholars night/party or however it is done in the states)
    Basically they had been smashed drunk and this guy (boyfriend or close friend of) got really emotional and had a drunken rant about how he had accidentally caused her death freaked out to see up the idea of calling authorities but decided to get rid of her and dumped her along one of the highways going to Ohio.

Note:
    For the life of me I can't remember her name.
    I never gave it much thought because I honestly didn't know who she was talking about (I'd never heard of Lauren's case and we weren't talking about anything close to the issue when she brought it up, basically I was looking at her like 'huh')
    She did mention the name of who she heard this from but I don't remember, I feel like I remember her telling me it was indeed Lauren's boyfriend, but being drunk and so long ago I honestly can't tell you for sure)
    When she accidentally she did say how, they met up that night (she went to his or he knew where she was) they had an argument and he shook her or something along those lines and she just died.
    She never really said that he mentioned exactly where he dumped her just that it was along a highway near Ohio and it was down a road off the highway or just off the highway. I believe the reason she brought it up was while I was in Bloomington another girl went missing, but I don't know.

Honestly like I said, it was a long while ago so the small details I don't remember (I wish I did) I was tipsy so I wasn't paying complete attention, I also basically had no idea what she was talking about.
    She was upset about it and did seem sincere, but I don't know. Pure speculation I suppose, I have no idea if any of the time lines work or anything, just stumbled upon this website and Lauren's page figured I'd say something I guess.

Cheers,
    B
    Please contact the tip line! You may be the key to breaking this case wide open! 1-812-339-4477

Even the smallest detail ie: where you met this girl...or where you stayed that night....could lead investigators to the right person.

That's a pretty good drive though. It's got to be an hour, probably a little more, to Greensburg just to get to the Interstate. And I'm not sure someone looking to dump a body would be wanting to get to the Interstate. And then it's still a ways to Ohio via 74. And the Interstate is taking them to Cincinnati so not exactly a lonely stretch of highway, and not a highway to nowhere either. So there'd be the risk of being seen and the risk of being pulled over for a traffic violation too. And then they need to find time to get back to Bloomington. Plus sunrise would be a factor too, assuming they were really heading to Ohio, or even close to Ohio.

I'm not sure how the timeframe would work out for the Persons of Interest as far as when they were known to be in Bloomington that morning.
    That is the quickest route I know to Ohio and would be a 2-3 hour drive. The likelihood of someone taking Lauren out of state depends on whether she was dead or alive. So, I agree with you that it's not likely someone got on the expressway with a body in the car. Can't think of any place along that route a body could be hidden all this time. But, there are plenty of wooded areas around Bloomington, e.g., Brown County State Park, Martin State Forest, Yellowwood, McCormick's Creek State Park. All within 1 hour. Then there are the lakes in Bloomington--Monroe, Lemon and Griffey. These would be the most likely sites to dump a body, but a body in a lake would have surfaced by now. JMO.

ETA: Wanted to add, if someone was said to have dumped a body along a highway going toward Ohio, they may have been referring to 46E, which would take them past Brown County State Park (I think Yellowwood is in that direction, too), or State Rd 50 which goes through the Martin State Forest.
    Last edited by Indy Anna; 09-01-2017 at 05:37 AM.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

I've been absent on here for awhile, and am catching up again. You may recall I continue to focus on DM as the POI in LS's disappearance. Some things I've read recently caught my attention:

1. DM's second assault case is making it's way through the court system. I would be shocked if it actually went to a jury trial. My guess is that with the DNA evidence, DM will plead out. I mean, he's not going anywhere anytime soon anyway....speaking of going anywhere though.....

2. Check out this April 20, 2017 article in the local newspaper (the Herald Times) about DM's appeal in the HW case: "In the meantime, 52-year-old Daniel Messel has been hospitalized at the psychiatric unit at the medium-security New Castle Correctional Facility since November. Prison officials will not comment on his status or why he is there, citing privacy laws." Isn't it interesting that since last November, it appears that DM and DH seem to be in the same facility? Wonder if they are actually together, and what they are chatting about.....
    Last edited by IMH; Yesterday at 07:59 PM. Reason: include links

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44