1146 users online (275 members and 871 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

TX - Felon masquerading as Katrina evacuee arrested, Tyler, 2005

TYLER A man posing as a Hurricane Katrina evacuee whose wife and son drowned in New Orleans was actually a convicted felon from East Texas with outstanding warrants, police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Walter Ray Stall, 43, of Palestine was arrested Tuesday after telling a Tyler television station that his wife and 3-year-old son drowned as he tried to herd them into the attic of their New Orleans home.

Police said he had also applied for $2,000 in federal assistance for hurricane victims.

Police said Stall, who had claimed to be "Ray Johnson," had warrants for felony theft of a firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. Smith County Lt. Craig Shelton said Stall was also charged with failure to identify himself as a fugitive.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3374772

This makes me sick. I hope they throw the book that this ahole.

I can't believe this moron actually did a television interview!

Yeah, not the brightest bulb, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules
    TYLER A man posing as a Hurricane Katrina evacuee whose wife and son drowned in New Orleans was actually a convicted felon from East Texas with outstanding warrants, police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Walter Ray Stall, 43, of Palestine was arrested Tuesday after telling a Tyler television station that his wife and 3-year-old son drowned as he tried to herd them into the attic of their New Orleans home.

Police said he had also applied for $2,000 in federal assistance for hurricane victims.

Police said Stall, who had claimed to be "Ray Johnson," had warrants for felony theft of a firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. Smith County Lt. Craig Shelton said Stall was also charged with failure to identify himself as a fugitive.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3374772

This makes me sick. I hope they throw the book that this ahole.
    Rest assured that he isn't the only one who is attempting to take advantage of this situation. Whenever money begins getting passed out, these people come out of the woodwork, but then again, most of them are probably, at least smart enough not to do a television interview. What a moron..

Yep, Buzz, I agree. I'm sure there are many who are doing the same thing, but that are smart enough not to give interviews.

True story:

My hubby called me yesterday afternoon to tell me that he had stopped for gas in the morning and this kid (he figured about 19-20) walked up to him and asked him for a ride across town. My hubby told him he wasn't going that way and the kid walked away. Hubby went in to pay for his gas and get a coke and came back out. When he came back out, the kid was talking to a lady and she gave him $5. He then approached my hubby again about a ride. Said he was from NOLA and had been at the shelter in the church across the street for the past 3 weeks and was trying to get to his brother's house. He couldn't remember his brother's address, nor his phone number, and his cell phone was dead. He said volunteers at the shelter had tried to contact his brother for him, but were unable to because his phone number was unpublished. So, this kid had been stranded basically at this church.

Hubby felt sorry for the kid and agreed to take him. The kid burst into tears and thanked him all the way there. It took hubby about an hour. The kid even offered to give hubby the $5 he had received from the other lady. Hubby told him to keep it.

When they got to his brother's house, the brother and sister-in-law ran outside and they hugged for what my hubby said seemed like days. They were all crying. The brother offered to give hubby money for bringing him to them. They had been trying to find him and couldn't. They thought he was dead.

So, when I hear stories about people trying to rip off the system it ticks me off - bad. I'm sure there are many others who are still trying to get to family members too and then you have those that are looking for ways to profit from situations such as these. Makes me sick!

(sorry for the long post and rant)

Yep, Buzz, I agree. I'm sure there are many who are doing the same thing, but that are smart enough not to give interviews.

True story:

My hubby called me yesterday afternoon to tell me that he had stopped for gas in the morning and this kid (he figured about 19-20) walked up to him and asked him for a ride across town. My hubby told him he wasn't going that way and the kid walked away. Hubby went in to pay for his gas and get a coke and came back out. When he came back out, the kid was talking to a lady and she gave him $5. He then approached my hubby again about a ride. Said he was from NOLA and had been at the shelter in the church across the street for the past 3 weeks and was trying to get to his brother's house. He couldn't remember his brother's address, nor his phone number, and his cell phone was dead. He said volunteers at the shelter had tried to contact his brother for him, but were unable to because his phone number was unpublished. So, this kid had been stranded basically at this church.

Hubby felt sorry for the kid and agreed to take him. The kid burst into tears and thanked him all the way there. It took hubby about an hour. The kid even offered to give hubby the $5 he had received from the other lady. Hubby told him to keep it.

When they got to his brother's house, the brother and sister-in-law ran outside and they hugged for what my hubby said seemed like days. They were all crying. The brother offered to give hubby money for bringing him to them. They had been trying to find him and couldn't. They thought he was dead.

So, when I hear stories about people trying to rip off the system it ticks me off - bad. I'm sure there are many others who are still trying to get to family members too and then you have those that are looking for ways to profit from situations such as these. Makes me sick!

Jules: People like your husband are true heroes.
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Yakwoman
    Jules: People like your husband are true heroes.
    Thanks Yak - he made me proud.

True story:

Jules, what a nice story. I thank God for people like your husband. There are always going to be liars, cheats, criminals, etc. in society. I truly believe that most people are good.

Thanks Jan. I, too, like to believe that most people are good.

Jules:
    That's a wonderful story about your hubby. I'm so upset about all the 'bad' that's come out of this tragedy, it's nice to hear the good too.

Thanks for sharing.

fran

Quote Originally Posted by fran
    Jules:
    That's a wonderful story about your hubby. I'm so upset about all the 'bad' that's come out of this tragedy, it's nice to hear the good too.

Thanks for sharing.

fran
    Thanks Fran. He's embarassed I posted this on here.

Honestly, I was a bit hesitant when he first started telling me, but he said the look in the kid's eyes is what made him do it. He said he just looked so desperate. (he's a big sucker sometimes but doesn't like to let anyone know)

Jules

Thanks Fran. He's embarassed I posted this on here.

Honestly, I was a bit hesitant when he first started telling me, but he said the look in the kid's eyes is what made him do it. He said he just looked so desperate. (he's a big sucker sometimes but doesn't like to let anyone know)

Jules

Well, he definitely sounds like a keeper!

JMHO
    fran

Absolutely!