TX - Officer fatally shoots unarmed man - San Antonio

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
SAPD: Officer 'feared for his life' when he fatally shot unarmed man

A man killed in a north-side officer-involved shooting has been identified as 36-year-old Antronie Scott.

Man wanted on two felony warrants, shot dead by police, was unarmed
His wife watched shooting from car

Wanted on two felony warrants, Scott was being followed by undercover officers Thursday, [Police Chief William] McManus said in a briefing that night. They watched as he drove to the Wood Hollow Apartments at 10362 Sahara St., near Isom and Ramsey roads, about 6:45 p.m. and called for a uniformed officer to approach him, McManus said.

Officer John Lee, an 11-year veteran, pulled up to Scott as he was exiting a white Mercedes sedan, approached him and told him, “Let me see your hands,” then almost immediately fired his service weapon because Scott spun around quickly and the officer feared for his life, McManus said Friday.

Police have audio of the shooting, but Lee’s patrol car dash camera was not directed where the action was taking place, McManus said. Lee was not wearing a body camera, he added.

Last year the city approved spending $3million for body cameras that are supposed to start being deployed this year.

When the cop says "let me see your hands" You do. THE END.

This was a guy with warrants for felonies and the police have every right to believe he was dangerous.

I am sorry that he did not comply. Other wise he may still be alive.

San Antonio police probe fatal shooting of unarmed black man by officer

San Antonio's police chief on Friday pledged a thorough investigation of the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by an officer a day earlier.

"As the uniformed officer approached the vehicle, he got out of the car quickly and spun toward the officer," Chief William McManus told a news conference.

"The officer shouted to 'show me your hands,' and as soon as that statement was made, you heard a gunshot and it hit the individual in the upper torso," he said.

"It was very fast, it was in the blink of an eye," McManus said.

This was a guy with warrants for felonies and the police have every right to believe he was dangerous.

Except the officer didn't give him a chance. He simply turned around and was shot dead.

Fwiw, my first question is why didn't the undercover cops approach AS? Have serious concerns about the story so far. It looks good and should/might prevent any protesting, but is it true?

Need to see the warrants and proof undercover officers were in fact following him. What was the need to approach AS at that particular moment and why a uniformed cop? What was going to make the difference?

'Feared for my life' has been overused across the country imo - LE needed something better to justify all the shootings that take place. Let's see how often this gets used in the future.

Except the officer didn't give him a chance. He simply turned around and was shot dead.

IT does not matter to me. That is a threatening gesture. When the police ask you to put your hands up you do. Then no one gets shot and no one gets away.

U
Fwiw, my first question is why didn't the undercover cops approach AS? Have serious concerns about the story so far. It looks good and should/might prevent any protesting, but is it true?

Need to see the warrants and proof undercover officers were in fact following him. What was the need to approach AS at that particular moment and why a uniformed cop? What was going to make the difference?

'Feared for my life' has been overused across the country imo - LE needed something better to justify all the shootings that take place. Let's see how often this gets used in the future.

My guess would be so that it would be obvious it was LE that was stopping him. I've seen it argued in other situations (sorry, can't think of specific names) that the person didn't comply because they didn't know they were being confronted by LE when the officer was undercover and not in uniform. JUST A POSSIBILITY

I would like to hear the tape. If the officer said something to AS wouldn't he expect him to turn around? Then the second he does he's shot and killed. Unarmed. For turning around to look at the person who is speaking to him. Even the police chief said it was immediate.

Feared for his life because a man holding a cell phone looked at him. I'm so tired of this excuse.

I would like to hear the tape. If the officer said something to AS wouldn't he expect him to turn around? Then the second he does he's shot and killed. Unarmed. For turning around to look at the person who is speaking to him. Even the police chief said it was immediate.

Feared for his life because a man holding a cell phone looked at him. I'm so tired of this excuse.

I would like to hear the tape too. Two different situations:

1. "STOP! DON'T MOVE! PUT YOUR HANDS UP! TURN AROUND SLOWLY!"

or

2. "hey, sir. Can you stop? I need to talk to you."

I have never seen them order the suspect to turn around. It is always something like hands up, now slowly back up, back up, back up... now get down on your knees etc. jmo

I would like to hear the tape too. Two different situations:

1. "STOP! DON'T MOVE! PUT YOUR HANDS UP! TURN AROUND SLOWLY!"

or

2. "hey, sir. Can you stop? I need to talk to you."

"Let me see your hands."

I think it's understandable AS would turn around to show the officer his hands. The officer didn't say "Hands in the air" or "Hands on your head" nor did he say "Drop your weapon."

And then the officer didn't even look at his hands, he just shot and killed him immediately.

I have never seen them order the suspect to turn around. It is always something like hands up, now slowly back up, back up, back up... now get down on your knees etc. jmo

"Let me see your hands."

Disobeying a police officers orders is not a capital offense under the law, and we don’t even know that is what he was doing. But of course you don’t care. Because you are going to side with the police officer no matter what the evidence is.

Also, doing what a cop tells you to do, does not necessarily prevent you from getting shot.

[video=youtube;dUyDY9YBiDQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUyDY9YBiDQ[/video]

I wonder what the felony warrants were for.

Drugs of course. The war on drugs kills. Not the drugs themselves, but the cops fighting the “war” do kill.

From above link, a quote from editor in chief of San Antonio Observer:
" "Like Ku Klux Klansmen with hoods, (officers) do everything they can in order to protect their identities for fear of being brought to justice," said Zarriello. "Just as the names and addresses of sex offenders are publicized in order to protect the public from their wicked behavior, we feel that our community has the right to the exact same level of protection." "

Not sure why editor thinks these ^ are apt comparisons.

KKK members? They try to prevent their IDs from ever being made public, whereas after a shooting, the officer's name will be made public, just not immediately.
Sex offenders? Yes, after arrests, IDs are made public; after conviction, SO may be required to register on publicly avail database.
Not the same as LEOs, imo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/antroine-scott-shooting-san-antonio-tabloid-publish-all-cops-addresses/ (same as ^, Feb 7)

From above link, a quote from editor in chief of San Antonio Observer:
" "Like Ku Klux Klansmen with hoods, (officers) do everything they can in order to protect their identities for fear of being brought to justice," said Zarriello. "Just as the names and addresses of sex offenders are publicized in order to protect the public from their wicked behavior, we feel that our community has the right to the exact same level of protection." "

Not sure why editor thinks these ^ are apt comparisons.

KKK members? They try to prevent their IDs from ever being made public, whereas after a shooting, the officer's name will be made public, just not immediately.
Sex offenders? Yes, after arrests, IDs are made public; after conviction, SO may be required to register on publicly avail database.
Not the same as LEOs, imo.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/antroine-scott-shooting-san-antonio-tabloid-publish-all-cops-addresses/ (same as ^, Feb 7)

Why should LEOs be treated any different then any other person? If other peoples names are released immediately, why shouldn’t cops names be released immediately too?

Also I don’t agree that the names of LEOs are always released at a later time. Here is a story about a guy who can’t even find out the name of a cop who shot him three years ago.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Officials Refuse to Release Name of Deputy Who Shot Man in 2012

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back