818 users online (121 members and 697 guests)  

Websleuths News

AZ - Debra Asbury, 27, Phoenix, 22 March 1985

Debra Faye Asbury was 27

Cold case: Free-spirited Debra Asbury suffered brutal murder in 1985, Phoenix police say
    Megan Cassidy, The Republic 11:19 p.m. CST February 2, 2016

Debra Asbury’s body was blanketed with souvenirs from her killers by the time she was discovered March 22, 1985.

There was the bite mark on the 27-year-old's left breast, the distinct boot print between her thighs, a strand of dark-colored hair in her hand and a cigarette wrapper with marijuana beneath her sweater.
    And a piece of barbed wire ringed her neck — a weapon of convenience borrowed from nearby farmland. It tied off in a neat twist just below her left ear.

[...]

The blood found on the barbed wire belonged to Asbury, said Dominick Roestenberg, a detective on Phoenix police’s cold case squad. Bite marks and shoe impressions are valuable only when accompanied by a comparable suspect.

[...]

“It was particularly gruesome,” Dominick Roestenberg, a Phoenix police cold case detective, said. “It was extremely violent.”

[...]

The daughter of the man Asbury lived with said two men picked up Asbury at her home near 71st Avenue and Indian School Road between 2 and 2:30 p.m. At least one of the men had picked up Asbury in the past, the daughter said.

[...]

An autopsy later revealed Asbury died not from the barbed wire but from a cylinder-shaped puncture wound to her chest, likely from a screwdriver or similar weapon.

[...]

The boot prints offered another clue. The impressions were traced back to a line of footwear sold only at Sears, known as the Sears Diehard work boots.

[...]

If you have any information regarding this case or any other cold cases, contact Silent Witness at 480-948-6377 or silentwitness.org, or the Phoenix Police Department at 602-262-6151.

Phoenix police searching for suspects in brutal 1985 murder
    By Jayme West | February 1, 2016 @ 5:00 am

Roestenberg said someone walking to work found the body of a woman in a dirt alley on the south side of Trevor Browne High School near 75th Avenue and Thomas Road. It was 7 a.m. on Friday, March 22, 1985.

“Her name was Debra Faye Asbury, a 27-year-old white female,” Roestenberg said. “Ms. Asbury was strangled, stabbed and a piece of barbed wire was looped around her neck.”

Asbury was last seen the night before, either at Boomerang Bar or Mr. Lucky’s. Witnesses saw her leave one of the bars with two younger white men.

Their vehicle was pretty distinctive: A 1960s step-side pickup truck. It was faded red with primer spots.

[...]

“We’re hoping somebody recognizes the person in the picture or recognizes the description of the truck and calls police,” Roestenberg said. “We want to close the case. We owe that to [Asbury].”
    http://ktar.com/story/879408/phoenix...l-1985-murder/

ATM video was later discovered showing the victim using her boyfriend's credit card and standing with
    the person of interest. Detectives would like to identify and speak with the person of interest
    http://www.silentwitness.org/Picture...20Homicide.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    The person in the picture doesn't seem to be particularly focused on Debra so I wonder if he or she was just some innocent person waiting to use the ATM. Of course, they should still be interviewed even if that was the case. Is there more than just that one frame? It looks a little odd that she had her boyfriend's credit card and his PIN yet she was not out with him.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 02-07-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

To me, it looks like the second word on the other individual's shirt (preceeded by the last two letters of the first word that look like IS) says BUD'S. I wonder if that is the partial name of a bar or some other establishiment that could lend a clue.

Stan Reid

Perhaps the shirt just says "THIS BUD'S FOR YOU" and that probably wouldn't help much.

I get the feeling that one photo is a mugshot so, if so, what was Debra arrested for?

Stan Reid